PP upgrades on PS theses days?

Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
PP upgrades on PS theses days?

Hi all, I've been reading threads that CPUs are happening exclusively at the gate these days... what about instrument upgrades? Flying PS SFO-EWR next week, waitlisted plus points, and the loads are light (like 1/4 cabin booked one week out on a 781), are they processing instrument upgrades in advance at all? Why hold them back if loads are so light?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcaflyer979
Hi all, I've been reading threads that CPUs are happening exclusively at the gate these days... what about instrument upgrades? Flying PS SFO-EWR next week, waitlisted plus points, and the loads are light (like 1/4 cabin booked one week out on a 781), are they processing instrument upgrades in advance at all? Why hold them back if loads are so light?
If I had to guess, its likely some combination of factors, the main 3 I can think of:

- they only recently stopped the seat blocking of adjacent seats, and it just isnt a priority to return to run upgrades earlier
- demand still up in the air - it seemed to be looking better a few weeks ago, but now looking worse with surge in cases
- probably wanting more time to sell it, as they may see more people willing to buy to distance - as an example, we are moving later this month, and specifically picked a flight with lie flat to SFO so we could do an upfare to F for more distance - we almost never pay to upgrade domestically because for the most part, we just dont think its worth it (i can think of only two instances in the past 13 years weve done this) - this is one where even with reduced service, we felt it was well worth it, and Id guess were not the only ones.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why hold them back if loads are so light?
Because Mileage Plus sucks.

AA has taken completely the opposite approach, with C (and A) consistently opened wide on LAX-JFK.
leoo likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
2 PAX. PP Points applied to BOS-EWR-LAX. BOS-EWR on E175, and EWR-LAX on 16J 752. EWR-LAX cleared 2 weeks ahead. Successfully called in to have them force BOS-EWR 72 hours prior to departure.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
2 PAX. PP Points applied to BOS-EWR-LAX. BOS-EWR on E175, and EWR-LAX on 16J 752. EWR-LAX cleared 2 weeks ahead. Successfully called in to have them force BOS-EWR 72 hours prior to departure.
Yeah, PN space has been open on many p.s. flights. Just bear in mind, that OP is 1K and most likely using PP as such, looking for PZ inventory.
I have monitored flights on the LAX ps routes for the last couple of weeks and found most folks cleared on non-peak flights.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I booked EWR-LAX on a paid (i.e. ETC for unused travel) ticket because it went from P9 PN9 to P9 PN0 - just didn't want to take the chance of getting stuck in the back on a 78J. My return on a 752 was P8 PN8 just a couple days ago, and was P3 P0 when I booked - they canceled an earlier flight, which must have filled up the 16J cabin faster than expected.

Would much rather use PP, but since UA already has their hands on thousands of dollars of my cash, I don't feel as bad paying for P fares.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
PZ does seem to open up close to departure and I have been able to clear instantly then. Overall on a 781 I think changes are very high right now to clear with +Ps outside of irops issues.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
Just today United starting doing advanced CPU again so I imagine getting upgraded on PlusPoints in advance is now also possible (if it wasn't in the past few months). Keep in mind PZ is notoriously hard to find on EWR-SFO/LAX.

-RM
SPN Lifer and onthesam like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I've seen a smattering of advanced (2-8 weeks out) PZ here and there on LAX-EWR, but for many flights it's P = PN = 6+ and PZ = 0.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
I flew LHR-EWR and EWR-LHR and both PP Upgrades cleared once submitted
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tpock
I flew LHR-EWR and EWR-LHR and both PP Upgrades cleared once submitted
that's great, but not really relevant to this thread TATL upgrades are very indeed right now.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

thanks all, yeah the flight is still 14/44 one week out, PP applied. so hoping we clear soon.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks all, yeah the flight is still 14/44 one week out, PP applied. so hoping we clear soon.
Good luck! and please report back.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
an early evening EWR-SFO in mid June on a 789 using plus points cleared at least a week out
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

strange, less than 72 hours out, and still not clearing on a 781, booked at 14/44 (per agent) - with PP applied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.