Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking back - UA's service to Hawaii in the 1970's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking back - UA's service to Hawaii in the 1970's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by artvandalay
As always, thanks for sharing timeless UA memorabilia like this.
It was common airline practice at that time to list/display routes that were authorized but not necessarily operated. UA purchased long range DC-8s, actually DC-8--62, to operate routes like BWI-HNL.
See my bolding of art's comment. This is absolutely correct. I remember collecting timetables from back then. Likely, UA was authorized to serve these routes, but did not actually serve most of them.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I may have posted these elsewhere

As an aside, my nephew recently flew EWR-SFO-HNL-GUM in first class. No hot food whatsoever -- only the usual familiar set of snack boxes for quite a long series of flights. EWR and SFO Polaris clubs and HNL UC closed. So even if you manage to go to Hawaii these days, you won't enjoy getting there.

Last edited by AlreadyThere; Jul 23, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Yes, my ticket from IAD-HNL over Christmas indicates "Snack." I have attached an old NY Times ad from NY TImes, October 1, 1969 (I hope the moderator forgives me for the date, as this ad is from 1969 and not 1970, but it features the United's service to HNL).
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Spoiler

My 1970's flights to Hawaii were all on Western Airlines RIP Boeing 720's. My first UA flight HNL-SFO was in 1980. Getting to HNL was on SQ SFO-HNL-HKG-TPE.
Western was mine too. Weren't they the Champaign Airline??
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Western. The oooonly way to fly!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by PACLipper
Yes, my ticket from IAD-HNL over Christmas indicates "Snack." I have attached an old NY Times ad from NY TImes, October 1, 1969 (I hope the moderator forgives me for the date, as this ad is from 1969 and not 1970, but it features the United's service to HNL).
OW or RT price?
How much were taxes back then?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
A station manager in Hawaii told me that United regularly flew 747s to the outer islands, but I'm not sure if they were referring to pre-merger United or Continental or if they were thinking of another large bird, like the DC 10.

Whether it.was UA or CO, what was the largest aircraft into each city served. I know 747s were definitely in HNL, but what about LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO?
CO started flying 747s into ITO in 1971 from LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.