Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ Middle Seat interview {01 July 2020} with Scott Kirby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Middle Seat interview {01 July 2020} with Scott Kirby

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Data-driven, data-driven" mentioned several times in this article - pretty much says it all.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hint to Mr. Kirby: Cutting doesn't to lead to growth.

David
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
It's amusing to read the comments to this article. Just scanning through, I don't see a single one that is positive about UA or Kirby. They vary from negative to excoriating.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jul 1, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
It's Kirby. You know what cards he's dealing and the deck that he's using - and where from the deck he's pulling ​​​​​​them from.
Go Air Force! Beat Army!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I'll save folks time: The only interesting part of the article was the last sentence:
On Monday, Mr. Kirby approved putting ice back on airplanes and starting coffee and tea service.
AirbusFan2B and droopydog like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jsloan
Except for Kirby offhanded stating that he expects the mask policy to remain in place "until we have a vaccine." I don't really understand the thought process behind assuming that vaccination is just a matter of time, but I guess that's why I don't run an airline. (That's also apparently the length of time that you are on the naughty list for getting a mask refusal ban -- until the policy is over).
are you stating you don’t like the mask policy or you don’t think a vaccination is coming?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Except for Kirby offhanded stating that he expects the mask policy to remain in place "until we have a vaccine." I don't really understand the thought process behind assuming that vaccination is just a matter of time, but I guess that's why I don't run an airline. (That's also apparently the length of time that you are on the naughty list for getting a mask refusal ban -- until the policy is over).
Yeah, the mask policy his employees rarely enforce

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
From the article
He may end up being worse than Smisek. And Smisek was the worst.
May? He is already well into Smisek territory, arrogance and all.
2stepbay likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
It's amusing to read the comments to this article. Just scanning through, I don't see a single one that is positive about UA or Kirby. They vary from negative to excoriating.
Must all be from FT members.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TomMM
Must all be from FT members.
Well, since several of the most interesting negative commenters identified themselves as "1K" or "GS," maybe you're right.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Well, since several of the most interesting negative commenters identified themselves as "1K" or "GS," maybe you're right.
Why would we assume they are FT members? Because they complain? There is an incorrect assumption around here, that only FT members have this level of unhappiness or complaints and members of the general public could care less - that is far from the truth.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yeah, the mask policy his employees rarely enforce

May? He is already well into Smisek territory, arrogance and all.
He hasn’t said we would like his changes. But yes he is well on his way.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
"Data-driven, data-driven" mentioned several times in this article - pretty much says it all.
I'm not sure I understand your comment. Would it make more sense for businesses to make decisions without data?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I'm not sure I understand your comment. Would it make more sense for businesses to make decisions without data?
No. What cesco.g is highlighting is the justification of Kutbacks based on "data-driven" metrics - principally shaving and Kutting to save costs while making UA even further less competitive.

There is leadership to be had at any company - in this case, it is this airline. Unfortunately, Scott Kirby and his team only has one very blunt tool that they apparently willing/know how to use. And they continue to use it poorly.

David
bocastephen and cesco.g like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
are you stating you don’t like the mask policy or you don’t think a vaccination is coming?
While I don't have any intention of flying on an airline with a mask policy, that's secondary. My main point is not that I don't think a vaccine is coming, it's that it's absolutely foolhardy for anybody to depend upon that as part of their corporate strategy. {discussion of vaccine developement removed} Kirby needs a plan to run an airline in the event that no vaccine ever emerges.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2020 at 11:33 am Reason: {discussion of vaccine developement removed} use the Coronavirus forum for that
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
He hasn’t said we would like his changes. But yes he is well on his way.
There was a smugness about Smisek that will always be hard to eclipse.
tcdtcd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.