Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I do hope transits will be allowed in all major EU airports for Americans. It will provide flight options to Africa, Middle East and beyond where Americans are welcome,
I wouldn't use the term 'welcome", to be fair the EU is using objective criteria on infection control to make it's decisions with a bi weekly status review .Sadly as this 50 ways to manage a virus cluster continues here
I am not hopeful we will pass the first reviews
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I believe it is non resident Americans , a country would not ban its own from entering assuming they could get back and as the US did if there enough of them stuck somewhere they will a plane for them
I'm not quite following what you said here, especially as it relates to my point. What I'm trying to say is that if an American, a Swede, and an Australian all live in New York City, they have the same odds of having the virus. All three should not be allowed as a tourist in Europe. Now if they all live in Sydney, again they all have the same odds of having the virus. They should all be allowed as a tourist in Europe. Nationality should have nothing to do with it. What should matter is where you come from.

If they're going strictly by which passport you carry, then it's a flawed system. An exception would be that a European returning home should be allowed, but should follow the proper quarantine procedures.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by g289t
If they're going strictly by which passport you carry, then it's a flawed system.
Flawed, but not unprecedented. That's what the U.S. did when they banned anyone using a Chinese passport. I'm not sure how they handled the EU ban.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by g289t
I'm not quite following what you said here, especially as it relates to my point. What I'm trying to say is that if an American, a Swede, and an Australian all live in New York City, they have the same odds of having the virus. All three should not be allowed as a tourist in Europe. Now if they all live in Sydney, again they all have the same odds of having the virus. They should all be allowed as a tourist in Europe. Nationality should have nothing to do with it. What should matter is where you come from.

If they're going strictly by which passport you carry, then it's a flawed system. An exception would be that a European returning home should be allowed, but should follow the proper quarantine procedures.
I think broadly we are in agreement I was inferring travel more than tourism, my point was
- When the US closed the border to Europe if you were a European but a permanent resident /green card holder you could still travel here
- On the NY group traveling I think because Sweden is an EU member , as an EU citizen I believe they would be allowed to travel although depending on where they entered they would have to meet local quarantine requirements
- The Sydney group I agree , but if Australia made the hot sheet I think point two would apply
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
- On the NY group traveling I think because Sweden is an EU member , as an EU citizen I believe they would be allowed to travel although depending on where they entered they would have to meet local quarantine requirements
Yes, this is correct. I should have used a non European as an example here. I think pretty much any country allows its own citizens to travel home. I am an American expat living in Ghana, and there have been about 6 repatriation flights from this country alone. AFAIK every one has been packed full. The first repatriation flight was shortly after airlines stopped flying around the end of March, and the last flight was about a week ago.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
We are getting pretty far away from UA related discussions and into a general discussion of the EU requirements. For the latter please use the threads in Coronavirus forum and let's return to UA specific discussions here.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I am booked on UA58/59 SFO-FRA outbound on the 19th of August and return on the 26th. It looks like they dropped the second frequency to FRA and moved the departure of UA58 to 3:20PM from 1:55PM. I figure it's a toss of a coin as to whether I can transit Germany or not at that point but both my UA ticket and the onward LH legs are both fully protected so I can wait until at least the 15th of August to evaluate if the travel is possible (i.e. boarder controls) and what the experience will be like (i.e. having a hard time imagining 11 hours with only beer and wine) and make a call. Watching and waiting for now.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by JWSCHERER
.... having a hard time imagining 11 hours with only beer and wine......
I had over six hours yesterday (delayed east coast to west coast flight) with a tomato juice, tapas box, and four bottles of white wine. I do think they should do a better job with the snack boxes as they only allocate one box for each pax in first. Have not flown Polaris since the end of last year.

My imagination is it is easy to get very tipsy with lots of wine and little to eat at a high altitude over 11 hours....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Agreed. I'm not afraid to fly on a plane, it is the fact that neither Europe nor the Middle East nor most of Asia will let Americans come in right now....ugh.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Originally Posted by drklain
Agreed. I'm not afraid to fly on a plane, it is the fact that neither Europe nor the Middle East nor most of Asia will let Americans come in right now....ugh.
+1
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by drklain
I am considering flying over to Europe and just quarantining for 14 days, then doing 3+ weeks of business, then flying home again sometime this fall. My fear is if I don't do that, I won't get over there until next year. The downside (from United's perspective) is that means what would have been 3 trips/sets of tickets would be combined into one mega-trip with effectively only 2 flights on United.
Exact same boat here, and have discussed with my team. Plan is to head over mid-August, quarantine until early September, do business for September, and return home in October...in time for flu season...and wave 2?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Exact same boat here, and have discussed with my team. Plan is to head over mid-August, quarantine until early September, do business for September, and return home in October...in time for flu season...and wave 2?
If the EU ban for Americans is still in place in August, are there any UA non-EU destinations on the Continent that would be a viable alternative? I'm trying to research something similar for a colleague and hitting a wall on UA. The exception clearly being Ireland or Britain, but I'm trying to figure out something more centrally located on the Continent.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Do you have dual citizenship that allows you to do that? Am hoping to do the same thing but obviously difficult given the EU ban is based on country of residence and not where you’ve been in the past 14 days (like the trump ban). If the EU would at least switch to that method and/or allow entry directly with a mandatory 14 day quarantine I’d be fine with that.

I know a few people going from Brazil to Mexico for 14 days this month and then entering the US since they are not permanent residents but need to get back. If EU at least had that system I think many of us could get creative with how to get there.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m hoping a Hawai’i to London trip via Toronto on Air Canada will get me to earned status 1K (vs extended) for 2021. Be kind of nice if the EU would restrict Americans from the contiguous States, and not from a smarter State that’s done much better in containing the problem...
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I know a few people going from Brazil to Mexico for 14 days this month and then entering the US since they are not permanent residents but need to get back. If EU at least had that system I think many of us could get creative with how to get there.
They better hurry up before Mexico closes its entire U.S. border:
The Northern Mexican state of Sonora — which borders Arizona and a small portion of New Mexico — is toughening border restrictions this weekend as both regions experience a surge in coronavirus cases.

In anticipation of the Fourth of July weekend, the state government announced plans to place filters at Sonora's main border cities to turn back tourists and those traveling for nonessential purposes.

“We are all going to be on alert at this time to prevent them from coming, whether they are Mexicans living in the U.S., Americans or those who want to come to spend the weekend and put a greater burden on us regarding COVID,” Sonora Gov. Claudia Pavlovich said in a statement to the Arizona Daily Star.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.