Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
non-schengen transit should be ok
I do hope transits will be allowed in all major EU airports for Americans. It will provide flight options to Africa, Middle East and beyond where Americans are welcome,
BThumme likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I do hope transits will be allowed in all major EU airports for Americans.
I believe they have said it will be up to the individual countries, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:12 pm

This is an EU policy, but each country comes up with its own specific details for their own airports and other borders. And since it was just decided/announced today, it may take a couple of days for country-specific information to become available. However, as far as travelers arriving from the USA and most other countries are concerned, the policy has not actually changed (they are more or less just extending the previous policy of not allowing unrestricted entry for such travelers), so I would not expect the rules to be much different from what they already were in June (concerning non-Schengen transfers and things like that).

It has never been the case during this pandemic that just having a US passport made you ineligible to board a flight to Europe, and this will continue to not be the case after July 1.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeppityDawg
It has never been the case during this pandemic that just having a US passport made you ineligible to board a flight to Europe, and this will continue to not be the case after July 1.
Correct, as long as travel is considered "essential".
An interesting example as to how that can transpire and was handled by AA/UA is reported here:

Must fly from San Diego to Frankfurt in June. What airlines will be really flying?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Correct, as long as travel is considered "essential".
But you will find the definition of "essential" travel is narrower in the EU than what is commonly by many in the USA.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
With demand that is being plummeted by travel restrictions, you don’t want to end up stuck abroad with no flight available to take you back Home, my thinking..... This is not the season for international travel.....

Jiburi
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This has little to do with nationality, and a lot to do with residence.

The USA bans everyone, except essentially citizens and US residents, who has been in Europe at any time in the last two weeks.
The EU bans all residents of the USA but US citizens who are not resident in the USA are permitted.
Certain EU member countries are more permissive currently, but they are likely to fall into line with the EU stance.
The UK permits everyone but insists on a two week quarantine on arrival.
Most people who are travelling for essential purposes, defined differently by each jurisdiction, are also permitted to travel.

There are therefore a large number of people who fall within the gaps, and these are exactly the sort of people who are more likely to be travelling between the two continents in the first place.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
However, perhaps United will make money from Europeans traveling to the US?
Trump issued a travel ban for all EU residents back in March.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't forget the impact of quarantine / isolation. Many who are admissible, either by right of entry or an exception to the "ban" as interpreted by their home state government, will face a 14-day isolation/quarantine upon arrival. Depending on circumstances, this may or may not be feasible. The same individuals may also find themselves subject to another quarantine upon return to the US.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
Does that mean US passport holder can't even board on the lufthansa carrier for USA - FRA flight ?

I m not a US passport holder, if take a flight from USA - FRA - IST (turkey), is there any problem?
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I do hope transits will be allowed in all major EU airports for Americans. It will provide flight options to Africa, Middle East and beyond where Americans are welcome,
Transit passengers are specifically exempted from the travel restrictions.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Over the past few months USPS has been sending roughly 200,000 pounds of "airmail" per month to Europe via ship due to a lack of available flights (and they've just started doing the same to South America).

Yesterday United flew 3 787-9's to Australia, despite carrying well less than 100 passengers.

Even if passengers aren't flying, cargo still needs to.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Concurrent with UAs expanded TATL schedule for August announced today, comes news that EU/Schengen might impose quaranties for travellers from "high-risk" countries.
A list is expected tomorrow. Switzerland for one already has Sweden & Serbia mentioned.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Concurrent with UAs expanded TATL schedule for August announced today, comes news that EU/Schengen might impose quaranties for travellers from "high-risk" countries.
A list is expected tomorrow. Switzerland for one already has Sweden & Serbia mentioned.

Germany has been publishing such a list for about two weeks or so. For the US the quarantine requirement depends on the state. Here is today’s list. :

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m flying FRA-IAD tomorrow July 3. Kept eye on the upgrade list all week as I wanted to pay at gate to get my next status and saving my plus points (I had great luck in March and April with this since no one was flying - only 429$ to go from economy to Polaris on this route). Just checked in and the flight is completely FULL. Said I could change flights for free but I want this flight due to nonstop. So I applied plus points after all and am now number one on list.

Just because tourists are banned doesn’t mean the flights will get cancelled. There are expats and military living in Europe There will also be some demand for flights between USA and Europe, pandemic or not.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by g289t
I think Europeans have been banned in the US since March, at least for non essential travel. Also, from what I understand, it's not technically American citizens that are banned. It would be travelers from the US that are banned. I'm not sure on this though...
I believe it is non resident Americans , a country would not ban its own from entering assuming they could get back and as the US did if there enough of them stuck somewhere they will a plane for them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.