Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

Multiple news media sources have reported this morning UA will starts SFO-ICN-PVG on July 8th (Wednesday) and the second weekly flight will be July 11 (Saturday).

Return flight will be a day later (Thursday and Sunday).

Let’s keep discussion in this thread focusing on the restart the UA services to PVG and not about US- China aviation restrictions, which is discussed here: Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 26, 2020 at 11:32 am
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Where do you see the ICN stopover. All the reports I've read say it is a nonstop.

Delta is the one that is doing the ICN stopover.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Where do you see the ICN stopover. All the reports I've read say it is a nonstop.

It's just for a required crew change. DL is doing the same drill.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Resuming Service Between San Francisco and Shanghai
New flight will connect U.S. West Coast and more than 30 cities to Shanghai beginning July 8

CHICAGO, June 26, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today it will resume service to China with twice-weekly flights between San Francisco and Shanghai's Pudong International Airport via Seoul's Incheon International Airport beginning July 8, 2020. United will operate service with Boeing 777-300ER aircraft from San Francisco to Shanghai on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Customers traveling from Shanghai will return to San Francisco on Thursdays and Sundays.

"United's service to mainland China has been a point of pride for our employees and customers for more than 30 years," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "Resuming service to Shanghai from the United States is a significant step in rebuilding our international network."

Prior to suspending service to Shanghai in February due to COVID-19, United was the largest U.S. carrier serving China and operated five daily flights between Shanghai and its hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York/Newark and has served Shanghai for more than 30 years. In July, across the Pacific, United will also reinstate service between Chicago and Tokyo with the addition of new service to Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Additionally, United will resume service to Seoul; restart service to Hong Kong and will fly to Singapore via a stop at Hong Kong.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is not bookable yet.
I am trying to see if I can get onto the first flight on July 8
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is not bookable yet.
Did you manage to get your visa sorted out yet?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Did you manage to get your visa sorted out yet?
Yes, I am getting a visa with 90-day validity to allow time to look for flights within the 90-day period.
They were issuing visas with 30-day validity, but unfortunately many had to let them expire due to unable to find flights to China and many countries also ban transit.
Hopefully, I will find something within the 90-day period. DL seemed to sold out all its flights in the next a few weeks.
cesco.g, moondog and kb1992 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is not bookable yet.
I highly doubt it. Flights to China are in extreme high demand.
The earliest availability I find on UA (Wed/Sat UA857) is late September, and on DL is October.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS AA

The flight schedule indicates there should be a technical stop. If SFO-PVG non-stop departed at 11AM, it would arrive at 3pm-ish the next day.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by alfrie
The flight schedule indicates there should be a technical stop. If SFO-PVG non-stop departed at 11AM, it would arrive at 3pm-ish the next day.
It is so that the crew don't need to stay in Shanghai.
If what DL does is an indication, passengers won't get off the plane at ICN. And SFO-ICN and ICN-PVG won't be sold separately.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by blug
If what DL does is an indication, passengers won't get off the plane at ICN. And SFO-ICN and ICN-PVG won't be sold separately.
To protect the crew. China's rules require COVID testing for every layover crew and if one tests positive, the whole crew is taken to an 'undisclosed quarantine location' for 2 weeks. UA isn't going to let that happen to its employees, so new crew in ICN flies to PVG and back without a layover.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
It's just for a required crew change. DL is doing the same drill.
Hmm, nice of United to disclose that

Given the same day turn at PVG, thought they might be double-crewing it. But it sounds like they are doing the Tech Stop in Seoul.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2020 at 4:06 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I highly doubt it. Flights to China are in extreme high demand.
The earliest availability I find on UA (Wed/Sat UA857) is late September, and on DL is October.
I know. It has been well reported.
Rather than wasting more time using United.com and United App, I called GS agent and she made a few calls, and I am told to call back on Monday as 857/858 (scheduled for the next a few weeks) have been locked by inventory management from bookings. United.Com and United App are still showing the direct flights based on the old schedule.

Sometimes, the best way is to call. I may be still challenged to get seats on the flights scheduled in the first a few weeks, but at least speaking to GS agent provided me with some comfort that the flights are under the control of inventory manage and there is still a hope......
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SteveHK
To protect the crew. China's rules require COVID testing for every layover crew and if one tests positive, the whole crew is taken to an 'undisclosed quarantine location' for 2 weeks. UA isn't going to let that happen to its employees, so new crew in ICN flies to PVG and back without a layover.
I'm surprised that South Korea is allowing UA to do this. If any of the SFO-ICN layover crew test positive, wouldn't South Korea do exactly the same thing though?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:10 pm

Hmm, nice of United to disclose that

Given the same day turn at PVG, thought they might be double-crewing it. But it sounds like they are doing the Tech Stop in Seoul.
The link in post 4 is an official announcement from United, and the ICN stop is clearly disclosed there.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.