Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Thats my point. They’re selling tickets for flights everyday.
Okay, that went right over head. I was trying to envision the logistics of routing all of their China traffic via GUM.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 8:29 pm

Does anyone know when this route will open for bookings? We're getting very close to July 8th.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by justchris82
Does anyone know when this route will open for bookings? We're getting very close to July 8th.
Other have reported many flights are "sold out", filled with passengers from previous cancelled flights. Seatmaps is pretty full and one GS reported that they were unable to get seats in July.
Originally Posted by kb1992
... Called GS desk to ask SFO-PVG availability. There is none for July, August and Sept.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 28, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Hmm, nice of United to disclose that
​​​​They did What else are you looking for???

United Airlines announced today it will resume service to China with twice-weekly flights between San Francisco and Shanghai's Pudong International Airport via Seoul's Incheon International Airport beginning July 8, 2020.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Price this high is normal - some of my Chinese friends paid 30K RMB (equivalent more than 4K USD) for one way economy.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's on the schedule starting July 8 2x weekly 77W Wed and Sat. Dates I checked are sold out, and the seatmap has plenty assigned so I assume it is real pax.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Other have reported many flights are "sold out", filled with passengers from previous cancelled flights. Seatmaps is pretty full and one GS reported that they were unable to get seats in July.
I did book a speculative standard award for UA 857 before the announcement when it was still available. It costs 270K miles.

The rumor was Saturday for 857 so I picked Saturday and hit the jackpot.

What I really like to do is to buy a coach saver award ticket at 35K miles and use my plus point to upgrade. Not possible now.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by blug
I highly doubt it. Flights to China are in extreme high demand.
The earliest availability I find on UA (Wed/Sat UA857) is late September, and on DL is October.
I am happy to report that I have secured a seat on the July 8th inaugural flight. Unfortunately no J or Premium economy seats available at the moment. Hope to go on the wait list. I have 24-hour to decide if I want to ticket it,

Now, I need to confirm my visa when I pick it up later this week.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am happy to report that I have secured a seat on the July 8th inaugural flight. Unfortunately no J or Premium economy seats available at the moment. Hope to go on the wait list. I have 24-hour to decide if I want to ticket it,

Would you actually do the flight in Y+?

I'd love to see your meal pictures of United Economy!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Would you actually do the flight in Y+?

I'd love to see your meal pictures of United Economy!
That is the plan. I have not done a trip report for years in the Trip Report Forum. For this "special occasion", including the 14-day quarantine at the designated facility, I may do one.
Still hopeful the upgrade to J or Premium economy may clear,
tuolumne and narvik like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is the plan. I have not done a trip report for years in the Trip Report Forum. For this "special occasion", including the 14-day quarantine at the designated facility, I may do one.
Will be looking forward to your report on this travel experience!
You also might have plenty of FT-time in those 14 days!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

How did you get that? By calling GS line?

What's the booking class? Expensive?

Last edited by kb1992; Jul 1, 2020 at 3:26 am
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
How did you get that? By calling GS line?

What's the booking class? Expensive?
Yes I called the GS line. I probably use the GS lines more often than other GS. We all know the App and website may have certain limitations, but some of us won’t call a live person unless it is a desperate situation. Using website or App give one the sense of being in control, but in reality, UA is always in control.

Also many have reported in several blogs and websites that DL/UA have sold out their China flights for the next two months, but I was surprised to hear there are still seats available on the two weekly flights for the month of July (not many seat though).

Regarding fare class and cost, it is a one-way B fare, and it does not come close to the high 4-figure economy fare being reported. In fact, it is the same B fare I have been watching for the past 5 year...... a little over $2K for this inaugural flight that has been reported as “Sold Out” for weeks.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Regarding fare class and cost, it is a one-way B fare, and it does not come close to the high 4-figure economy fare being reported. In fact, it is the same B fare I have been watching for the past 5 year...... a little over $2K for this inaugural flight that has been reported as “Sold Out” for weeks.
Probably GS willing to overbook for you, as there is no published inventory on any UA857 until 7 September as part of the schedule still showing 857 with daily operation. (Overbooking Economy on a Y/B class fare with 90-minute advance purchase is a published GS/1K benefit.)
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Probably GS willing to overbook for you, as there is no published inventory on any UA857 until 7 September as part of the schedule still showing 857 with daily operation. (Overbooking Economy on a Y/B class fare with 90-minute advance purchase is a published GS/1K benefit.)
I often agree with you and yes, you may also be right in this case.

I would still suggest those who have secured visa to call instead of looking at the App and website for these two “special” weekly flights. There were seats still available on other days in July when I called, and they were not showing on the App and website. I don’t think mine is in the overbooking situation because I did ask if the flight was sold out.

That being said, the July 8th flight is sold out now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.