Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Resumes Nonstop Service Between San Francisco and Shanghai
Four times weekly flights no longer require stop and crew change in Seoul, South Korea

CHICAGO, Oct. 4, 2020
-- United Airlines today announced it will start nonstop service to China four-times weekly between San Francisco and Shanghai's Pudong International Airport. Beginning Oct. 21, 2020, United will operate four weekly nonstop flights with Boeing 777-300ER aircraft from San Francisco to Shanghai on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Customers traveling from Shanghai will return to San Francisco on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com and the United mobile app.

United will continue operating four weekly flights between San Francisco and Shanghai and beginning October 21, will no longer be required to stop in Seoul. United offered more service to China than any other U.S. carrier prior to suspending service in February due to COVID-19. In 2019, United operated five daily flights between Shanghai and its hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York/Newark.

"United continues playing a critical role in keeping people and global supply chains connected to Shanghai and to cities around the world," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "We look forward to resuming nonstop service and offering our customers greater convenience and shorter flight times between San Francisco and Shanghai."

cesco.g, aircam and narvik like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The equipment turnaround appears to always include an overnight in PVG. And maybe return with the same FA crew?
Not sure, if the pilots will be legal to operate the return flight after just one night's rest?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: CX Gold
Interesting. Wondering what has changed to help UA skip the ICN stopover? Has China started allowing airline crew to enter Shanghai without a 14-day quarantine?
wpcoe likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Interesting. Wondering what has changed to help UA skip the ICN stopover? Has China started allowing airline crew to enter Shanghai without a 14-day quarantine?
TMK, there was never a 14-day quarantine for air crews, but they had be isolated in their hotel rooms during the layover. This may still may well be the case, and UA is paying crews extra $ for the inconvenience.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
TMK, there was never a 14-day quarantine for air crews, but they had be isolated in their hotel rooms during the layover. This may still may well be the case, and UA is paying crews extra $ for the inconvenience.
Wasn't there the issue if any crew member tested positive, the entire crew would be stuck in 14-day quarantine in China.

But like others, wonder what the new arrangement is.
Wonder it the newer pre-departure tests are a factor?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
On United.com and United App, it is still showing the flight is operated on 789 not 777.
Press release states the flights are bookable now, but it appears the flight data is still not updated.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Anyone have any recent experience with this flight through ICN? Seems like it’s a direct flight with same flight numbers. Anyone have any data points on how upgrades are cleared if at all?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Anyone have any recent experience with this flight through ICN? Seems like its a direct flight with same flight numbers. Anyone have any data points on how upgrades are cleared if at all?
I don't know anyone who has used this flight. I need to go to the US next month, and will probably go with KE.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Anyone have any recent experience with this flight through ICN? Seems like its a direct flight with same flight numbers. Anyone have any data points on how upgrades are cleared if at all?
I flew in December. Yes, it's a direct flight, same flight numbers. You stay on board, in your seat, while the crew changes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I took this flight in the beginning of March. Yes, it stops but as previously said only for a crew change out. As far as upgrades, my particular flight was very light and my upgrade did clear (using miles to upgrade to Economy Plus), but as usual even though there were plenty of seats the upgrade didn't clear until I got to the gate.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flaii
I flew in December. Yes, it's a direct flight, same flight numbers. You stay on board, in your seat, while the crew changes.
No cleaning? I assume galley carts are updated? Out of curiosity how long is the stop?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
No cleaning? I assume galley carts are updated? Out of curiosity how long is the stop?
ICN=PVG is barley an hour long flight and the stop is scheduled for 90 minutes. Passenger can not disembark - that would complicate things and extent the stop.
SPN Lifer and uastarflyer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I took the inaugural flight and I only noticed crew change and did not notice any catering carts being removed, but I could be wrong or services may have been changed since.
I am taking the PVG-ICN-SFO flight in a few weeks and will observe.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
So as a datapoint. Upgrades to Polaris were able to be cleared on both segments at the gate at SFO when waitlisted. Surprised no advanced upgrade clearing on a flight booked at 11/60.
flaii likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Also to add on the other replies - the only service (in Polaris business at least) from ICN to PVG was a bottle of water (Dasani) that was handed out. I assume those were brought from SFO, but am not sure. If they were, then there was no need to bring on new catering carts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.