Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
58/60 does not mean 2 seats are available for sale. Flight is marked as sold out in the system (factoring blocked seats). Being a GS since inception, I have never been able to force United to sell me a seat when inventory is marked sold out In J or clear upgrade. Y is a different story.

I just want to make sure what you saw on the APP and what is in inventory management are different things and therefore managing your expectations accordingly.
It was 54 booked + 4 blocked out of 60 J seats. Meanwhile, UA was not willing to sell J tickets and flight was marked as sold out in the system.

Eventually they filled up J seats by clearing few upgrades. 2 people in J class didn't show up.

Y shows available for standby for all 857/858 in July. Clearly Y is not full but UA is not selling Y ticket either. It's remarkable you got a ticket.

By the way, 857 on July 11 had 3 empty J seats but it was marked as sold out in the system.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HGHUA
I saw on an employee forum some of them were talking about this flight and how some passengers are waiting every day to revenue standby for an earlier flight. They book the first avail flight they can on the website and standby at the gate for a shot.

Some of them were successful apparently. One agent remarked he cleared 8 rev standby.
Does this work if you're checking bags?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:33 pm

Will UA let a premier member use the "buy-Y" benefit to buy a full-fare ticket on a sold out SFO-PVG flight for a non-premier member?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
Will UA let a premier member use the "buy-Y" benefit to buy a full-fare ticket on a sold out SFO-PVG flight for a non-premier member?
I seriously doubt this unless you are also traveling. Additionally, UA does at times not allow this -- especially in the case where the flight is significantly overbooked or has a long waitlist.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-flights.html
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I seriously doubt this unless you are also traveling.
That's a good idea. Given the lack of alternate options, it may still be worth it to pay for two tickets on UA even if only one person will be traveling. Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That's a good idea. Given the lack of alternate options, it may still be worth it to pay for two tickets on UA even if only one person will be traveling. Thanks.
It will be interesting to find out if "Access to most sold-out flights" is now being offered for those flights, multiple GS have reported they were unsuccessful in getting space on the July flights.

What is the unrestricted Y price?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:50 pm

Y is around $5.5k for SFO-PVG one way
B is around $3k

As a point of comparison, Chinese airlines are charging about $8k for Y, and those seats are snatched up instantly
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Y is around $5.5k for SFO-PVG one way
B is around $3k

As a point of comparison, Chinese airlines are charging about $8k for Y, and those seats are snatched up instantly
I must really got lucky. I paid just over $2k for B fare on the inaugural SFO-ICN-PVG flight.

Any idea when UA will be able to start the second weekly China flight? Any insight whether it will be EWR-PVG or other route?
PEK seems to be out of the question due to quarantine rule in China.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It will be interesting to find out if "Access to most sold-out flights" is now being offered for those flights, multiple GS have reported they were unsuccessful in getting space on the July flights.

I believe some GS (like UA_Flyer) were able to use the benefit to buy on to a flight which was Y0. There is a hidden cap on the oversales, and if the flight is too badly overbooked, not even a GS can get on.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Any idea when UA will be able to start the second weekly China flight? Any insight whether it will be EWR-PVG or other route?
PEK seems to be out of the question due to quarantine rule in China.
UA's two weekly are SFO-ICN-PVG on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Any additional flights will require agreement between the US DOT and China CAAC. The rumor is that DOT is pushing for all restrictions to be removed but CAAC is only willing to add 1-2 flights per week at a time, without changing anything in regards to crew testing/quarantine or direct flights to PEK. It just wouldn't be possible for a US carrier to operate how CA is operating LAX-PEK with an overnight stop in TSN, so DOT views allowing more flights without allowing direct service to PEK as unfairly benefitting the Chinese carriers.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:52 pm

United Airlines Doubles Service Between San Francisco and Shanghai
Adds two more flights between San Francisco and Shanghai, will operate four times weekly
CHICAGO, Aug. 18, 2020
-- United Airlines today announced it will increase service to China from two to four weekly flights between San Francisco and Shanghai's Pudong International Airport via Seoul's Incheon International Airport. Beginning Sept.4, 2020, United will operate four weekly flights with Boeing 777-300ER aircraft from San Francisco to Shanghai on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Customers traveling from Shanghai will return to San Francisco on Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Tickets will be available for purchase beginning Wednesday, Aug.19 on united.com and the United mobile app.

"United has served mainland China for more than three decades and we look forward to continuing to connect customers traveling between the U.S. and Shanghai with two additional flights beginning in September," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances.

In July, United began operating twice-weekly service between San Francisco and Shanghai via Seoul. United was the largest U.S. carrier serving China prior to suspending service in February due to COVID-19. In 2019, United operated five daily flights between Shanghai and its hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York/Newark.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2020 at 4:19 pm Reason: timetable
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA doesn't seem to have dropped fares yet, but DL has (from 4k to 1k on my desired PVG-JAX route).
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
UA doesn't seem to have dropped fares yet, but DL has (from 4k to 1k on my desired PVG-JAX route).
I was looking at early September flight from PVG to FLL ( I am south of you in Florida), and the one way fare (U fare and upgradable) is $1,345.
Not planning to fly back to the US until the travel restriction is lifted due to visa issues, but still happy there are more flight options.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services

My VISA came through this morning, so I am ready to go on July 8.
Do we need a special visa right now to enter China as a 'Merican beyond the usual 10-year biz one?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Do we need a special visa right now to enter China as a 'Merican beyond the usual 10-year biz one?
Any visas issued after March 28 are valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.