Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
Well, it appears UA is flying SFO-[ICN]-PVG without passengers & with or without cargo (inconclusive, IMO), and flying back as UA858 PVG-[ICN]-SFO with passengers and cargo.
A suspension under these rules from China isn't a suspension of the airplane's flight itself, but merely a suspension of that aircraft carrying passengers.
A click on WHERE'S THIS AIRCRAFT COMING FROM yields an error message:
The suspensions are only on carrying passengers into China which is a covid risk according to CAAC. Airlines can still operate China inbound with cargo only and outbound with both cargo and passengers if they choose since this is not a risk to China.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cargo only would be a 28xx / 27xx flight and labeled as such on unitedcargo.com

conflicting info on when UA857 is scheduled to resume unitedcargo has13 Feb 2022
EF has 12 Feb but availability is zeroed until mid-march
The main issue regarding accuracy with that PDF is that it is only updated once a month, when the actual flight situation changes [almost] daily!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The main issue regarding accuracy with that PDF is that it is only updated once a month, when the actual flight situation changes [almost] daily!
But the main point is cargo only flights are 28xx/27xx. UA 858 infers passenger operation

Today;s UA858 arrived in PVG as UA2850 -- a cargo flight (SFO-ICN-PVG) ship #2137 a 773 , N2737U

So for now UA is flying a cargo only flight into PVG and a passenger/cargo flight out as UA858 (with 100 or so passengers)

Yesterday, 5 Feb it was N2243U, same sequence
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But the main point is cargo only flights are 28xx/27xx. UA 858 infers passenger operation

Today;s UA858 arrived in PVG as UA2850 -- a cargo flight (SFO-ICN-PVG) ship #2137 a 773 , N2737U

So for now UA is flying a cargo only flight into PVG and a passenger/cargo flight out as UA858 (with 100 or so passengers)

Yesterday, 5 Feb it was N2243U, same sequence

Okay, understood; that then makes perfect sense - I must have been reading/interpreting that PDF wrongly. Cheers.
I consider my initial question now 100% answered (and happy about the outcome).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver
No JN, ON or YN inventory on UA857

Since a few days ago there has been zero JN, ON or YN inventory on UA857. Doesn't this directly violate the last seat availability promise?

Last Seat Availability Benefit

MileagePlus members have the benefit of booking awards without capacity controls on flights operated by United and United Express. If there is a seat available, these members have unrestricted access to book an award, even if it's the last seat on the plane.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by blug
Since a few days ago there has been zero JN, ON or YN inventory on UA857. Doesn't this directly violate the last seat availability promise?
No. "Last seat" does not mean "last seat at saver rates".
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No. "Last seat" does not mean "last seat at saver rates".
But aren't IN and XN the Saver rates, not JN and YN?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
It doesn't violate the "last seat availability" promise because United has chosen to make 0 J inventory available on that flight. It's not like there are cash seats for sale but no awards available.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
It doesn't violate the "last seat availability" promise because United has chosen to make 0 J inventory available on that flight. It's not like there are cash seats for sale but no awards available.
​​​​​​
There are many dates with J9 JN0 Y9 YN0. E.g. 9/18/2022. Searching awards on SFO-PVG returns absolutely nothing throughout the schedule.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:27 pm

​​​​​​
There are many dates with J9 JN0 Y9 YN0. E.g. 9/18/2022. Searching awards on SFO-PVG returns absolutely nothing throughout the schedule.
My mistake, it seems you are in fact correct. From the initial post, I thought you were describing a scenario with J0 JN0.

I wonder if this has to do with the stop in Seoul? UA 893 has awards available.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Mar 20, 2022 at 6:37 pm
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:28 pm

​​​​​​
Searching awards on SFO-PVG returns absolutely nothing throughout the schedule.
You're talking about the single most difficult route in the world right now. E is commonly U$8'000.00 and J U$20'000.00 one-way. I also think they're still flying it at 70% cap, no?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
You're talking about the single most difficult route in the world right now. E is commonly U$8'000.00 and J U$20'000.00 one-way. I also think they're still flying it at 70% cap, no?
I would not be surprised if UA's current net profit on its 4x weekly SFO-PVG is a sizable percentage of its pre-pandemic profit on its entire US-China route network.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wasn't sure UA still made this promise, but here it is:

LAST SEAT AVAILABILITY BENEFIT
MileagePlus members have the benefit of booking awards without capacity controls on flights operated by United and United Express. If there is a seat available, these members have unrestricted access to book an award, even if it's the last seat on the plane.

Mileage Plus Award Travel

Have you tried calling UA and asking to book the flight with miles? Ultimately, not sure how meaningful the promise is, when they can just charge 10 million miles for the flight. Dynamic pricing has changed (ruined) everything.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:38 pm

I was curious about this, so I called. Waited 30 minutes only to have an incompetent agent say "sometimes we offer flights without award availability." When I explained the last seat availability benefit, he doubled down that some flights are not available as awards. I'll try to call again later if I'm up for it, but wait times are long. Trying chat in the meantime.

For those looking for a rough idea of what an award might cost on this route, I did see J9 JN9 Y9 YN9 on September 16th:

blug and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat
OMG 600k one way? That must be a record!!!

Btw, I have no idea how the new site displays pricing so I've been searching one ways for the past 3 years. Thanks UA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.