Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I can't reconcile why fare inventory for SFO-PVG is not matching seat availability (based on flight status, not seat maps). Here are two upcoming examples:
17 May, currently J1 and O2, yet flight status shows 48/60 and 15/24 booked seats
19 May, currently J4 and O5, yet flight status shows 40/60 and 21/24 booked seats

With one exception, why are fewer seats available for sale in the premium cabins than are apparently open? In both cases Y shows as booked full but there are no blocked seats shown on the flight status pages. If they were holding seats for an oversold Y cabin, wouldn't J > O on 19 May?
Old May 17, 2023, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What do you mean by "based on flight status"?
Old May 17, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by moondog
What do you mean by "based on flight status"?
Old May 17, 2023, 7:06 am

They presumably have oversold Y and maybe PE as well. A lot of us aren't permitted to buy biz on that flight.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
They presumably have oversold Y and maybe PE as well......
If so, you would expect to see a BLOCKED (seat) message
drewguy likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I did a mock search for PVG-ORF round trip for middle June - early July. The price was over $8000 in economy. I spent a quarter of that for a complicated ORF-China routing this month, but took longer, for sure. ORF-IAD-HND-HKG, ICN-SFO-IAD-ORF. Of course, I need separate reservations for HKG to (my destination in China) to ICN. I cleared my IAD-HND upgrade in advance. Due to IRROP, the outbound became ORF-EWR-SFO-HKG (no overnight stay). The booked itinerary had an overnight stay at HND.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone have experience with the prospect of PP upgrades clearing these days? My father-in-law is flying SFO-PVG in a week's time, but despite the seat map in J being (very) wide open, I only see J6(!!) being shown. I can't imagine that is the case, and it feels like a matter of UA knowing they have a certain number of upgrades applied and trying to milk revenue as much as possible on this flight before throwing open the fare bucket floodgates as they close in to actual departure date. I know the seat map is not the best guide, but there's more than half the J cabin with unassigned seats, which feels like a larger-than-usual discrepancy between those who have booked tickets and those who have assigned themselves seats.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
.... and it feels like a matter of UA knowing they have a certain number of upgrades applied and trying to milk revenue as much as possible on this flight before throwing open the fare bucket floodgates as they close in to actual departure date.....
And why is that a bad thing for UA to do? Understand it is not good thing for upgraders.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And why is that a bad thing for UA to do? Understand it is not good thing for upgraders.
I'm not saying it's not their prerogative, but the last time I did this (admittedly it was PVG-SFO and before China had lifted their zero COVID policy), the fare buckets were far less restrictive. My overall question is more about experience. I have not looked at UA's SFO-mainland China routes on any regular basis since pre-pandemic, so I am far less familiar with their fare bucket management - hence my question.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I'm not saying it's not their prerogative, but the last time I did this (admittedly it was PVG-SFO and before China had lifted their zero COVID policy), the fare buckets were far less restrictive. My overall question is more about experience. I have not looked at UA's SFO-mainland China routes on any regular basis since pre-pandemic, so I am far less familiar with their fare bucket management - hence my question.
This is their only route and it only flies 4 days per week. J fares are quite high now so upgrading is a common strategy, but they would rather get cash for upgrades than instruments. They typically release cash offers a few days before the flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just one data point. I am flying SFO-PVG tomorrow and I've been monitoring the waitlist and upgrade prices closely.

At no point did the upgrade from Y -> O or Y -> J drop in price, it was consistently around $7k to upgrade to O, and $9k to upgrade to J.

When the waitlist appeared there were 30 open seats in J, and it stayed this way until about 4AM PT this morning when they cleared 5 people into J. They did another group of 5 around 11:30AM PT. Finally around 4:30 PM PT they cleared 18 more, leaving only two J tickets for sale. I'm a 1K and was in K fare class, and when the waitlist opened I was 13th, and cleared in the 4:30PM batch.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Just one data point. I am flying SFO-PVG tomorrow and I've been monitoring the waitlist and upgrade prices closely.

At no point did the upgrade from Y -> O or Y -> J drop in price, it was consistently around $7k to upgrade to O, and $9k to upgrade to J.

When the waitlist appeared there were 30 open seats in J, and it stayed this way until about 4AM PT this morning when they cleared 5 people into J. They did another group of 5 around 11:30AM PT. Finally around 4:30 PM PT they cleared 18 more, leaving only two J tickets for sale. I'm a 1K and was in K fare class, and when the waitlist opened I was 13th, and cleared in the 4:30PM batch.
How much did you paid for your K-fare?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
How much did you paid for your K-fare?
Booked ago 5 days, 1-way, 1592.20 USD
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Booked ago 5 days, 1-way, 1592.20 USD
Interesting. I just flew SFO-NRT-HKG, PVG-HND, NRT-HNL-SFO, with the SFO-NRT segment upgraded to J, and this cost much, much less than UA wanted for SFO-PVG-SFO ($2.4k vs $6k). I'm going back in September but won't touch the SFO-PVG nonstops until they're actually competitive. Looks like they're starting to get competitive but that's still a little bit high.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold

Nice. Were you using miles since PlusPoints would have required W or higher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.