Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by theasianguy
I noticed that it's not possible to book USA-ICN/TPE-PVG award tickets as a single itinerary through united.com, even though X saver availability exists on both segments. Searched similar itineraries on Aeroplan and ANA Mileage Club, and they did come up. Does anyone have any datapoints if UA can book a connecting ticket by calling in? Thanks in advance.
I called 1K line for two different routes, via TPE (outbound) and ICN (return), twice. They could not do it, even help desk😂😂
Old Mar 25, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Another email from UA Customer Care after my complaint about masking 857/858 upgrade lists

===============================================

Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your experience. Please accept my apology for the disappointment created with the upgrade waitlist not being visible.

Know that your comments have been duly noted and forwarded to senior management to ensure they don't go unnoticed. Feedback like yours is an opportunity for us to our review policies and experiences that negatively impact our most loyal customers.

We'll use your comments to review our procedures with your point of view in mind.

On behalf of our United family, I want to thank you for being a valued Global Services member and 1 Million Miler. We appreciate your business and and hope to offer you a more positive experience in the future.

Regards,

XXXX
Customer Care
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Avoid SFO-PVG-SFO ransom

I searched RIC-ORD-SFO-PVG and PVG-HND-ORD-RIC for my travel dates in April. The fare is $5300 in economy (V outbound, W return; PVG-HND on ANA in Y). If I want to return through Europe on LH, the fare is about $500 cheaper.
So, I instead booked RIC-xxx-yyy-SFO-TPE (V) on UA and HND-ORD-RIC (S) on UA for about one fourth of the cost in cash. I used miles for TSA-SHA (~9K miles because TPE-PVG had no X fare) and WNZ-PEK-HND (18 K miles; same number of miles for PVG-HND redeye and a longer layover at HND). The drawback is that I will have to overnight at Taipei and move my luggage from TPE to TSA, but I can walk with my luggage from SHA to Hongqiao Railway station (no cross town shuttle bus or subway from PVG to Railway station). If I arrive at PVG, I will to have to overnight there before taking a train to Wenzhou. I also need to overnight in Beijing on return. But I will visit a friend there anyway.
The journey time is much longer and there is more planning (hotels and three flight reservations) in order to avoid the ransom from UA for SFO-PVG-SFO. With the cost of miles, my round trip is about one third of the direct US-China flights. But UA still gets some money from me anyway.

Add: Mrs. Kmxu took US-YYZ-TPE in business and TPE-PVG in economy yesterday. The total number of miles was about 1/8 of US-PVG one-way ticket (850 K miles in business). She had very good connections at both YYZ and TPE. She does not need to overnight at PVG to get to her hometown.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 29, 2023 at 10:06 am Reason: Add Mrs. Kmxu's flight
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It has been established numerous times in this thread that UA sells 857/858 at a premium. If there were no takers (admittedly, many corporate rates are closer to reasonable), the fares would be lower.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I searched RIC-ORD-SFO-PVG and PVG-HND-ORD-RIC for my travel dates in April. The fare is $5300 in economy (V outbound, W return; PVG-HND on ANA in Y). If I want to return through Europe on LH, the fare is about $500 cheaper.
So, I instead booked RIC-xxx-yyy-SFO-TPE (V) on UA and HND-ORD-RIC (S) on UA for about one fourth of the cost in cash. I used miles for TSA-SHA (~9K miles because TPE-PVG had no X fare) and WNZ-PEK-HND (18 K miles; same number of miles for PVG-HND redeye and a longer layover at HND). The drawback is that I will have to overnight at Taipei and move my luggage from TPE to TSA, but I can walk with my luggage from SHA to Hongqiao Railway station (no cross town shuttle bus or subway from PVG to Railway station). If I arrive at PVG, I will to have to overnight there before taking a train to Wenzhou. I also need to overnight in Beijing on return. But I will visit a friend there anyway.
The journey time is much longer and there is more planning (hotels and three flight reservations) in order to avoid the ransom from UA for SFO-PVG-SFO. With the cost of miles, my round trip is about one third of the direct US-China flights. But UA still gets some money from me anyway.

Add: Mrs. Kmxu took US-YYZ-TPE in business and TPE-PVG in economy yesterday. The total number of miles was about 1/8 of US-PVG one-way ticket (850 K miles in business). She had very good connections at both YYZ and TPE. She does not need to overnight at PVG to get to her hometown.
I am going to do this as well,

A family member is flying PVG to BOS next month. The options are

1) UA PVG-SFO-BOS. $1700 (G Class) $3700 PE or $8600 Biz Class
No chance of upgrade unless we buy $3700 PE fare.

2) OZ PVG-ICN Award ticket 8800 miles Y or 24000 miles J.
UA ICN-SFO-BOS W Class $1100 or P Class $3500.

We definitely take Option 2). The only issue is whether we try to upgrade or buy $3500 which is very reasonable. We can look at upgrade list for UA 892 ICN-SFo and assess our chances while UA masks 857/858 upgrade list.

Originally Posted by moondog
It has been established numerous times in this thread that UA sells 857/858 at a premium. If there were no takers (admittedly, many corporate rates are closer to reasonable), the fares would be lower.
Agreed.

Hopefully recent visit to China by a group of US businessmen including Apple CEO would result in more flights. The new Chinese Foreign Minister was China's Ambassador to the US who seemed to be friendly.
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.

Last edited by kb1992; Mar 29, 2023 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Going via NRT or HND (either from EWR or ORD) now also. Best bet to Beijing, IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
They need to bring back 888/889.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Fares to Shanghai

My wife and I are planning to go to Shanghai in the fall (maybe October or November) from SFO. United only has a couple of non-stops per week and every other airline requires change of plane somewhere (Tokyo, Seoul, etc). And fares are totally outrageous.

Anyone know when more flights will be added and fares might come down to earth? My wife wants to book flights now (her parents are there and she hasn't been back to see them since just before the pandemic started). My gut is to wait till the summer in the optimistic belief that more flights will be restored. Any advice?

Robert
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
My wife and I are planning to go to Shanghai in the fall (maybe October or November) from SFO. United only has a couple of non-stops per week and every other airline requires change of plane somewhere (Tokyo, Seoul, etc). And fares are totally outrageous.

Anyone know when more flights will be added and fares might come down to earth? My wife wants to book flights now (her parents are there and she hasn't been back to see them since just before the pandemic started). My gut is to wait till the summer in the optimistic belief that more flights will be restored. Any advice?

Robert
United has 4 weekly frequencies and it uses all of them for SFO-PVG. Meanwhile, AA is using its entire allotment for DFW-PVG, DL is splitting its frequencies between DTW and SEA, and the Chinese carriers are mostly wedded to LAX (except for MU's flagship PVG-JFK).

None of this will change until the US and China ink a new bilateral air services agreement (or reinstate the pre-Covid agreement, which China is fine with).

That having been said, even in the absence of additional nonstop flights, overall (i.e. including connection) market capacity should continue to increase at a robust pace throughout the rest of the year. As such, I don't think it would be wise for your wife to lock in fall flights now. Maybe set up a few google flight alerts and monitor the situation for several months before pouncing?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
United has 4 weekly frequencies and it uses all of them for SFO-PVG. Meanwhile, AA is using its entire allotment for DFW-PVG, DL is splitting its frequencies between DTW and SEA, and the Chinese carriers are mostly wedded to LAX (except for MU's flagship PVG-JFK).

None of this will change until the US and China ink a new bilateral air services agreement (or reinstate the pre-Covid agreement, which China is fine with).

That having been said, even in the absence of additional nonstop flights, overall (i.e. including connection) market capacity should continue to increase at a robust pace throughout the rest of the year. As such, I don't think it would be wise for your wife to lock in fall flights now. Maybe set up a few google flight alerts and monitor the situation for several months before pouncing?
​​​​​​When?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​When?
Why don't you pose this question to your representative(s) in Congress?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Why don't you pose this question to your representative(s) in Congress?
I regret asking you then.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by lsquare
I regret asking you then.
What else were you expecting? This is a matter of foreign relations policy and subject to the whims of government.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Like many of you above, I'm also looking to fly from US to PVG/SHA, and looking to try one of the options to fly into NRT/HND/ICN/TPE and then a separate ticket on to Shanghai to avoid the sky-high fares on UA nonstop (which I have paid the last couple of years!).

Has anyone found an option for a same-day connection? The only option I've found is flying into HND, and then HND to PVG on ANA, however that HND to PVG leg is $1800 one-way, negating any savings vs. flying nonstop to PVG The other options, flying UA into ICN and TPE seem to require overnights in those cities, because the UA flights arrive after the flights on to PVG/SHA depart. Not sure if I'm missing any other options?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by flaii
Like many of you above, I'm also looking to fly from US to PVG/SHA, and looking to try one of the options to fly into NRT/HND/ICN/TPE and then a separate ticket on to Shanghai to avoid the sky-high fares on UA nonstop (which I have paid the last couple of years!).

Has anyone found an option for a same-day connection? The only option I've found is flying into HND, and then HND to PVG on ANA, however that HND to PVG leg is $1800 one-way, negating any savings vs. flying nonstop to PVG The other options, flying UA into ICN and TPE seem to require overnights in those cities, because the UA flights arrive after the flights on to PVG/SHA depart. Not sure if I'm missing any other options?
I flew EVA from SFO to PVG via TPE on a single ticket in premium economy (I decided not to upgrade to biz in the end). Everything about the experience was good except for those 4.5 hours in TPE, which was about 2.5 hours too long for my liking at 5a (they had earlier flights to other Mainland cities, just not Shanghai).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.