Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What would happen if I can't get permission to enter? (Australia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist

Sorry, I searched hard, but can't seem to find the information that would answer this scenario.

Had booked Australia travel from the US for August. Tickets bought last fall At the rate things are going, I don't expect that Australia is going to be allowing US citizens in by then and certainly not within quarantining for the entire duration of our 1 week trip. My flights still exist and are taking reservations and given the cargo needs, etc. I expect that the flight will still be on the schedule come August but that I won't be able to obtain the ETA.

If I am not allowed in (this is a leisure trip), is my only option to change the ticket/Future Flight Credit? Was planning to take the family, so not really excited to have a large credit for the kids who probably would take years to use up the credit as I had bought W fares and used my then GPUs to immediately upgrade them (all cash fares on the same PNR), as well as one on a Business Saver fare (!) on a separate PNR. Thus, I am assuming that there is no way that I would find confirmed upgradable space for 4 of us (was something of a miracle the first time!) in the future.

If magically, things do open up in terms of travel restrctions, would not mind taking the trip if there was a way to actually be able to enjoy the trip, so I don't have an issue with waiting to see what happens as long as I don't end up eating the ticket or having to pay change fees that I could have avoided if I acted sooner. I could see potential options: 1) allow me to rebook the tickets with upgradable space and saver space opened up on a future flight, 2) refund all the cash fares, redeposit plus points and the miles, 3) transfer all of the cash fares into one or more ETCs that I could use, 4) future flight credit in each passenger's name.

1 and 2 would both be preferred from my perspective and depending on my mood, sometimes I prefer one over the other. 4 is the worst option short of losing my money entirely. Given that the current waiver ends on June 30th, are any of these 4 options going to become more or less likely or advantageous as the flight approaches? I assume, I would not be able to get an Australian ETA since I don't really have a compelling business or humanitarian reason to go besides that we have always wanted to! Does the fact that this would be a blanket prohibition by the Australian government issue factor in (relative to being denied a visa for a specific reason)?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If UA operates the flight but you are not eligible for entry or don't want to deal with the quarantine issues, neither qualifies you for a refund. If you decide not to travel, it is a voluntary cancellation. What happens will depend on waivers in place at the time of cancellation, presently until 30 June (which may or may not be extended), you can, if tickets were purchased before 3 March 2020) cancel or change for free. The change is for travel out to 24 months from the original purchase date. Check back on 30 June 2020 to see if extended.

You will not receive any guarantees on upgrade space or saver space. Those will depend on space at the time of booking.

You can try to request a refund due to entry issues but that is not UA (or other airlines) policy.

If you don't want to reschedule, then you will receive a Future FLight Credit (FFC) in each passenger's name. Presently UA is providing ETCs as another option or the conversation of FFC to ETCs (there is no known end date to the ETC option but no guarantee it will continue either)

Neither your option 1 or option 2 is a realistic outcome, so you will have to look at the other options.
findark likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
Thanks! I suspected as much, since I was pretty sure that was the rule for normal visa denials, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone else had different experiences given these unusual times.
If anyone has other options I didn't think of, I'm all ears.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
If you are still 1K, the mileage ticket can be cancelled, with miles redeposited without fees, so that's the easy one. However, as @WineCountryUA pointed out, they will only rebook at the same rate based on current availability if the change is done voluntarily. If the flight is cancelled, however, then they may be able to rebook you to another date without additional miles.

For the purchased tickets, you either get future flight credit or ETC if the flights are cancelled voluntarily. The GPUs applied are expired and gone forever. However, if the flight was cancelled, UA may be able to rebook you on a future flight in business class, or possibly provide cash refund and perhaps additional compensation (in miles or redepositing PlusPoints) due to loss of GPUs.

In either case, I would wait until when it gets closer.and wait and see.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Though Australia has traditionally been one of the toughest upgrades, you might be able to find space in the future due to overall low demand, especially business travel.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In addition to fee waivers, the redeposit fee is waived for all award travel through 31-Dec-20 if canceled at least 30 days in advance (regardless of status) - although I guess it might be impossible for OP not to be 1K.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
... In either case, I would wait until when it gets closer.and wait and see.
Waiting much long is a reasonable move BUT only if the cancellation / change fee waiver (presently expiring 30 June 2020) is extended. Reasonable bit not a certain chance of that happening.

With 3 paid tickets and 1 award ticket, the fees for the paid tickets is the more significant factor.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
When UA updates the August international schedule they will probably keep the current daytime flight and if so you'll qualify for a refund based on the 12 hour schedule change. Take no action until the August flights are finalized.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am hearing that Australia and New Zealand have banned tourist until 2021... not sure what month..
rumors are about on this one.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
August to Oz for US Citizens has virtually no chance of happening. Act now, with the options folks have posted above.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asquare
Sorry, I searched hard, but can't seem to find the information that would answer this scenario.

Had booked Australia travel from the US for August. Tickets bought last fall At the rate things are going, I don't expect that Australia is going to be allowing US citizens in by then and certainly not within quarantining for the entire duration of our 1 week trip. My flights still exist and are taking reservations and given the cargo needs, etc. I expect that the flight will still be on the schedule come August but that I won't be able to obtain the ETA.

If I am not allowed in (this is a leisure trip), is my only option to change the ticket/Future Flight Credit? Was planning to take the family, so not really excited to have a large credit for the kids who probably would take years to use up the credit as I had bought W fares and used my then GPUs to immediately upgrade them (all cash fares on the same PNR), as well as one on a Business Saver fare (!) on a separate PNR. Thus, I am assuming that there is no way that I would find confirmed upgradable space for 4 of us (was something of a miracle the first time!) in the future.

If magically, things do open up in terms of travel restrictions, would not mind taking the trip if there was a way to actually be able to enjoy the trip, so I don't have an issue with waiting to see what happens as long as I don't end up eating the ticket or having to pay change fees that I could have avoided if I acted sooner. I could see potential options: 1) allow me to rebook the tickets with upgradable space and saver space opened up on a future flight, 2) refund all the cash fares, redeposit plus points and the miles, 3) transfer all of the cash fares into one or more ETCs that I could use, 4) future flight credit in each passenger's name.

1 and 2 would both be preferred from my perspective and depending on my mood, sometimes I prefer one over the other. 4 is the worst option short of losing my money entirely. Given that the current waiver ends on June 30th, are any of these 4 options going to become more or less likely or advantageous as the flight approaches? I assume, I would not be able to get an Australian ETA since I don't really have a compelling business or humanitarian reason to go besides that we have always wanted to! Does the fact that this would be a blanket prohibition by the Australian government issue factor in (relative to being denied a visa for a specific reason)?!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If UA operates the flight but you are not eligible for entry or don't want to deal with the quarantine issues, neither qualifies you for a refund. If you decide not to travel, it is a voluntary cancellation. What happens will depend on waivers in place at the time of cancellation, presently until 30 June (which may or may not be extended), you can, if tickets were purchased before 3 March 2020) cancel or change for free. The change is for travel out to 24 months from the original purchase date. Check back on 30 June 2020 to see if extended.
<snip>
In reality the chances on anyone from USA being allowed into Australia (& New Zealand) this calendar year for general travel/tourism is zero.

Covid-19 is still rampant in USA and not slowing down much. Australia had 19 new Covid-19 cases yesterday which is considered extremely bad and a problem. The existing restrictions will be extended. Qantas have cancelled all international flights (other than to/from NZ) to the end of October to give you an indication.

Entry to Australia is limited to AU citizens, AU permanent residents and limited others who have AU government permission.
AU citizens cannot leave Australia unless they have specific government authority.
AU is expected to be closed to general travel for the rest the 2020 calendar year. Possibly longer.
AU Government links
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/ente...ring-australia
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/t...restrictions-0
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia-0

UA is operating daily the only USA<---->AU flight still in operation. With people who can enter/transit AU, people who can enter USA and freight. Pre Covid-19 was about 15 flights per day to/from various airports.

Another recent UA AU thread---> Any recent J experiences SFO-SYD?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 22, 2020 at 4:04 pm Reason: spelling !! [ rampant is a word not needed to be used in Au]
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Huge outbreak in Victoria. States are panicking again.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Huge outbreak in Victoria. States are panicking again.
About 16 (sixteen) new cases of which ~5 are returning travellers [unsure of exact numbers]
https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...d-case-numbers
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavi...9-daily-update
https://covidlive.com.au/vic
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: United Gold; Marriott Platinum
Full Refund

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
When UA updates the August international schedule they will probably keep the current daytime flight and if so you'll qualify for a refund based on the 12 hour schedule change. Take no action until the August flights are finalized.
Yes, this is exactly what happened to me. I booked my trip to Sydney in November for June 20-29. Because they changed the itinerary by more than 12 hours, I got a full refund. No problems whatsoever.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
We have some credits we were looking to use for AU for March 2021. I'm not expecting much. Were originally going to go March 2020, should have went in Feb would have been fine.
Beg to differ with covid being uncontained here in the US. We are creeping back toward normal here in MN. Folks are giving less of a crap all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.