Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trip to ATH in August 2020 -- via Polaris EWR-ATH ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to ATH in August 2020 -- via Polaris EWR-ATH ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Help appreciated

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum. It’s closest, so far, to my question. In February I saw some wonderful prices on Polaris flights from ORD-EWR-ATH for August. I took that route minus the ORD- EWR in 2017, but EWR had no Polaris Lounge yet. This year it was cheaper to go ORD-EWR-ATH and I knew both airports had Polaris clubs. Now my Polaris flight is waitlisted according to my Reservation. According to the website there is no Polaris flight from EWR to ATH. There are many Air Canada flights through Zurich or other European countries. I’m a million miler and I don’t trust UA on this “Flight is Waitlisted” stuff, especially as the waitlisted flight is the Polaris EWR-ATH. I got a fabulous deal, $2100 round trip, returning from ATH to Zurich on Lufthansa, then Polaris to EWR.

I don’t know which countries will be allowed to fly to Greece, but I’m expected on the 12th, leaving the 11th. I live in MI and know the border is still closed to Canada. I know it applies to driving, and am assuming it’s for flights, too. If I was able to switch to Air Canada on my flights to Europe, some go through Toronto.

I don’t know any of my colleagues or friends who are even flying. I’ve heard the Polaris Lounges are closed, and that was a big reason I chose the route I did. Not in either of my Polaris flights in 2016 & 2017 were Lounges open or seats installed. So unless UA returns the Polaris flight to Europe, especially Athens, I don’t know if I should cancel the whole thing by June 30th, call my Travel Insurance, or trust UA to get me a Polaris flight. My friend just lost her job so she won’t be accompanying me. Is there ANY assurance that I can still fly round trip to ATH for $2100? That price was offered for months on my August dates. I have seen seats waitlisted before but not flights. And if I cancel, I’m refunded my $2100 but not ensured I’ll ever see a price like that again.

I have medical conditions that make this quite quite possibly my last big trip. Any advice?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this an award trip?

DO you have a confirmed itin, if so, how & who?

Doubtful UA will be flying to ATH this summer
Greece is apparently trying to open up for tourists

Polaris lounges are closed and August will be iffy

Only you can decide to go but if flying UA to ATHs and using Polaris Lounges are a major part of the trip, that is very iffy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.