Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

future flight credit from non-BE ticket cannot be used for a future BE ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM

This what a reservation agent just told me. She said the only the future flight credit from an originally BE ticket could be used to buy another BE ticket in the future. A non-BE flight credit could only be used for a new non-BE ticket. Who on earth made this up and where is it written? I read theses forums regularly and I have seen no mention of this "rule in the terms and conditions" she said.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by arisaa
This what a reservation agent just told me. She said the only the future flight credit from an originally BE ticket could be used to buy another BE ticket in the future. A non-BE flight credit could only be used for a new non-BE ticket. Who on earth made this up and where is it written? I read theses forums regularly and I have seen no mention of this "rule in the terms and conditions" she said.
This correct and it is in the fare rules. This has been true since the initiation of BE. And it has been discussed before.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This correct and it is in the fare rules. This has been true since the initiation of BE. And it has been discussed before.
Then I stand corrected. I feared it was another flyer-unfriendly rule they just made up. Apparently, they made it up a while ago.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And for some odd reason, it goes the other way, also
FFC for non-BE can not be used for BE --

Still looking for no BE to non-BE -- still unable to find the earlier discussion

Can you provide a copy the the "penalities" section of your BE ?

For a BE ticket issued today, it states
TICKET ENDORSEMENTS THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - NONREF/NOCBBG/NOASR - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
Translation a BE ticket can only be re-issued as a BE ticket. (Note I am not very adept at reading rules, but that appears to be what is being said)
There are other sections of today's BE fare rules that refer to "SAME FARE BASIS CODE" for changes (when allowed, which generally they are not)

Might be better to get an ETC and then the ETC to book without restriction.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2020 at 8:43 pm
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
What happens if you took a credit for a BE international flight, and it was canceled due to COVID-19. I’m in that situation and the reservation agent last week said I could use it on any ticket or even request an ECERT
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arisaa
Then I stand corrected. I feared it was another flyer-unfriendly rule they just made up. Apparently, they made it up a while ago.
Well, it's BE that's flyer-unfriendly, really.

That said, Future Flight Credit isn't really what it sounds like -- it's a little more complicated than that. For example, if you have a non-refundable fare, and you cancel the flight and use the FFC to book a refundable fare, you can't then refund it: the non-refundability carries over from the first ticket. WineCountryUA is correct to point out the endorsements clause: non-refundable, no cabin bag, no advance seat reservation. So, you can't necessarily use it to buy any fare -- just ones that are compatible with the rules of the original purchase.

Generally, you can't use FFC to buy something that's less strict than you started with -- the strictness gets inherited, so to speak.

The good news is that if you can get UA to give you an ETC -- sometimes, that option is available online, without even having to call and ask -- the ETC won't have that restriction.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
What happens if you took a credit for a BE international flight, and it was canceled due to COVID-19. I’m in that situation and the reservation agent last week said I could use it on any ticket or even request an ECERT
You need to check the fare rules for your ticket but a sample of one Intl BE had
TICKET ENDORSEMENTS THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - NONREF/NOASR - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
We need a more expert fare rule reader to comment further

Of course, UA could be prepared to waive the endorsement limitation but I would be wary. Note for the moment BE fares are changeable due to a waiver.

If an ETC works for you, that would be my choice.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.