Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA uses Mileage Plus for collateral for $5B Loan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA uses Mileage Plus for collateral for $5B Loan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by threecap
Creative but not the first of its kind. It's pretty similar to what J Crew did a few years ago. Create an SPV offshore to hold assets (in J Crews case, it was their name/brands... in UAL's case it's the MP program). License the property back to the company. The UAL pitch deck even uses the same "IPCo" term. I think Goldman is/was the lead on both deals as well.
Originally Posted by fly18725
Big difference is MP is a tangible asset and generates earnings rather than just a trademark with intangible value.
And the other shoe drops... the IP sub (among other subsidiaries of MileagePlus Holdings) are leveraged to raise $3B of last week's $5B loan. These funds will, in turn, be lent by the subsidiaries directly to United.

https://ir.united.com/node/23821/html

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 23, 2020 at 8:48 am Reason: Edit to revise detail of transaction
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by EWR764
And the other shoe drops... the IP sub (among other subsidiaries of MileagePlus Holdings) are leveraged to raise $3B of last week's $5B loan. These funds will, in turn, be lent by the subsidiaries directly to United.

https://ir.united.com/node/23821/html
Can someone who understands accounting explain what the $6.4B in deferred revenue on the MPH slide means (pg 35)? Are these miles that MPH is sitting on that are waiting to be redeemed for air travel? If so, that implies there are roughly 470 billion miles in circulation, correct? I'm assuming MPH revenue is ~$0.014 cents per mile ($0.0125 from UA and $0.015 from Chase)
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Can someone who understands accounting explain what the $6.4B in deferred revenue on the MPH slide means (pg 35)? Are these miles that MPH is sitting on that are waiting to be redeemed for air travel? If so, that implies there are roughly 470 billion miles in circulation, correct? I'm assuming MPH revenue is ~$0.014 cents per mile ($0.0125 from UA and $0.015 from Chase)
I believe that is correct. If one assumes 100m MP members, that's an average of 4,700 in any given account, which seems about right to me, considering that there are probably millions of dupe or zero-balance (with miles expiring until recently) accounts.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe that is correct. If one assumes 100m MP members, that's an average of 4,700 in any given account, which seems about right to me, considering that there are probably millions of dupe or zero-balance (with miles expiring until recently) accounts.
Interesting. I'd have thought the average would be higher, but I have no idea how many un-/minimally-used accounts there are.

I wonder what the median non-zero balance is.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fumje
Interesting. I'd have thought the average would be higher, but I have no idea how many un-/minimally-used accounts there are.

I wonder what the median non-zero balance is.
At least the median is non-zero - hopefully it is greater than zero...

David
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee

David
I think we know the average balance is non-zero -- do we know the median balance is non-zero?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much longer until they go BK? Before year end?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee

David
Originally Posted by fumje
I think we know the average balance is non-zero -- do we know the median balance is non-zero?
Well, some accounts could be negative for all we know...that's still non-zero...

David
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Please follow that discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html
The short answer that is a very unlikely outcome considering their level of cash.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Barring an even greater catastrophe than we are in, virtually no chance before year-end, and probably not in the next year or two, either. United has borrowed enough cash to *survive* a near-zero demand environment for the time being.

However, if demand only recovers to, say, 50-60% of pre-COVID, with a poor corporate/leisure ratio, and virtually nonexistent international, then United will have to fundamentally restructure its business because it will have a staggering debt load and its primary revenue drivers (which it needs functional to rebuild its balance sheet) will be substantially impaired. Right now, the outlook is more optimistic, but of course that can change.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:30 pm

In the new corporate structure Mileage Plus Holdings (MPH) only has 'input' into the MP program. Every aspect of the program related to status, service, benefits, redemption rates, is controlled by UA and not MPH. The only aspect of MP that is solely controlled by MPH is the price UA pays MPH whenever someone earns a mile by purchasing a ticket. That price currently sits at $0.0125 per mile. MPH can unilaterally force that price up under certain scenarios. That's it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 24, 2020 at 9:12 pm Reason: split post
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...The only aspect of MP that is solely controlled by MPH is the price UA pays MPH whenever someone earns a mile by purchasing a ticket. That price currently sits at $0.0125 per mile. MPH can unilaterally force that price up under certain scenarios. ....
it should be noted this number is speculation. What UA stated was
United buys 15K miles from MPH at a minimum rate of $0.01 per mile + an additional margin2
2The price at which United buys miles from MPH is subject to adjustment such that MPH’s United related EBITDA margin (defined as the quotient of (i) United related revenue, minus MPH operating expenses excluding depreciation and amortization, minus estimated future redemption cost of miles sold, divided by (ii) United related revenue) is at least 20%.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 24, 2020 at 9:16 pm Reason: Cleanup after move
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... it should be noted this number is speculation. What UA stated was...
Not correct WC. Footnote 3 on page 24 of the pdf you reference clearly states the current buy/sell pricing. The numbers above are correct.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:22 pm

Not correct WC. Footnote 3 on page 24 of the pdf you reference clearly states the current buy/sell pricing. The numbers above are correct.
Unless I am being quite dense, Footnote 3 on page 24 of the pdf
3Redemption rate fixed at $0.01 per mile. Note: All values, unless otherwise indicated, are illustrative.
Footnote 2 was already quoted above.

Move the discussion to the MPH so we would not take the GS thread off topic.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:03 pm

Correct, they are saying all prices are illustrative unless we explicitly tell you the price. And then in footnote 3 they tell you the actual price. I believe the illustrative prices are for partners (Chase, etc) so as to not violate confidentiality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.