Back in the Sky Again with UA

Old Jun 12, 20, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Back in the Sky Again with UA

Not sure if there is thread for this, so feel free to put it where it belongs. However, I found myself back in the sky again this week after more than 4 months of no flying.

Pros: Not a lot of people in the airport
Not a lot of people on the flights
Upgrades cleared quickly and easily
No one sitting next to me and wanting to talk to me
Less stress among other travelers
Opportunity to use some other carriers since there are less flights
Great parking spots open at DIA
Extremely Quick security
Overhead bin space availability
People not recognizing me as we board back to DEN (No I'm not a big deal, but in my industry I see far too many people I know during boarding for my liking, when I want to relax)

Cons: More people who clap when we land
More people watching something on their IPADs with no headphones
More people who have no idea when, how, or pretty much how do anything in the airport, or boarding, or sitting
Wearing a mask all the time, color me annoyed, and somewhat claustrophobic now
Not accumulating miles very well
No good restaurants open or no full menus
A general, I'm so done with this attitude from staff (Goes for every airline, but not really a complaint, I get it too)
No cinnamon rolls for breakfast
In a quieter cabin, noticing how much louder people talk into their phones with their masks on
That guy who feels the need to still move my stuff in the overhead bin space even though there are literally 4 rows in any direction with space available
Trying to guess is someone is smiling at you or glaring at you, but it does make for a good game trying to guess
The people who still wish to argue about their masks being on, or the drink selections

All in all, I give it a 2.5 out of 4 stars just being in the air again, it kind of felt like home. Albeit coming home after a long vacation to find someone squatting in your house, locks changed, and deliveries on the front doorstep, which has happened to me before, long story, but yeah it kind of felt like that.
SteveHK, tuolumne, ch3ss and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My gripe: No lounges and significantly fewer available restaurants. Especially with connections on this reduced flight schedule.
Old Jun 12, 20, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
There are multiple threads in the UA forum and other forums on health safety of flying in the COVID era, let's not start another and try to stay with the theme of the OP.

If you want to discuss health concerns while flying UA, please look at
UA COVID19 precautions: block some seats for pre-assignment, providing masks,...

UA Asks All Passengers to Take Health Self-Assessment as Part of Check-In Process

or visit Coronavirus and travel

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
giporlos likes this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS View Post
My gripe: No lounges and significantly fewer available restaurants. Especially with connections on this reduced flight schedule.
I guess this is a YMMV situation. When I've flown, there have been United Clubs open at hub airports where I am flying. No, not every airport/outstation. No, not AMEX or Priority Pass lounges, nor Polaris. But as part of returning to the skies, there are some lounges depending on your route. Even LH has started to reopen lounges at FRA and MUC.
Old Jun 12, 20, 3:26 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Well, I'm about to board a flight as I was forced to travel for work, and I'm quite concerned about bringing coronavirus back with me. The rest of the pros and cons are pretty much irrelevant compared to that one, in my view.
st3, ExplorerWannabe and Miggles like this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see the United gate at HNL from the boarding area for my Hawaiian flight to LAX. I boarded my Delta flight a couple of weeks ago near UA's closed UA Club at LAS. My Southwest flights next week will taxi past UA's Terminal D at LAS. I won't see any sign of UA at Houston Hobby when I land there next week Friday. I may not fly United again this year if things go as they are going...
Dyce likes this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Well, I'm about to board a flight as I was forced to travel for work, and I'm quite concerned about bringing coronavirus back with me. The rest of the pros and cons are pretty much irrelevant compared to that one, in my view.
Flown six times since this all started. 5 segments on UA, 1 on WN. No COVID here. Practice all the appropriate behaviors (no need to rehash them again). Be in control of your environment.
I appreciated the boarding back to front and then exiting front to back on UA. For WN, they limited to 10 pax per boarding group but people sit where they want. On the deplaning, it was the typical free for all. I appreciate the extra attention UA puts into managing the boarding/deplaning process.
Old Jun 12, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
Flown six times since this all started. 5 segments on UA, 1 on WN. No COVID here. Practice all the appropriate behaviors (no need to rehash them again). Be in control of your environment.
I appreciated the boarding back to front and then exiting front to back on UA. For WN, they limited to 10 pax per boarding group but people sit where they want. On the deplaning, it was the typical free for all. I appreciate the extra attention UA puts into managing the boarding/deplaning process.
I've flown UA F, AA Y and WN. Found WN to be a superior experience.

- UA had a full plane (twice) with surly cabin crews (twice). UC was open but offerings were limited to bottles of water and some bagged snacks. Essentially functioning as a sitting room. Received peanuts and water in F once and a snack box in F another time. Both flights featured pax who freaked out and wanted to leave just after the door closed. This was very unnerving on my first experience back.

-On AA I lucked out, had no middle seat pax next to me. All of the pax behind me had no such luck. Service was slightly friendlier but because even without covid I don't like sitting 3-abreast, I wouldn't want to roll the dice on a full row next time. Cabin crew was indifferent. Got biscotti, peanuts and water.

-WN gate agent and cabin crew were exemplary. Only selling 4 of every 6 seats means nobody is stuck with a middle seat. Seemed like more pitch than UA/AA Y. I'd probably choose this over UA F for my next trip, provided they continue to hold back on filling the planes.

Last edited by onthesam; Jun 12, 20 at 11:09 pm
Old Jun 15, 20, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by onthesam View Post
I've flown UA F, AA Y and WN. Found WN to be a superior experience.

- UA had a full plane (twice) with surly cabin crews (twice). UC was open but offerings were limited to bottles of water and some bagged snacks. Essentially functioning as a sitting room. Received peanuts and water in F once and a snack box in F another time. Both flights featured pax who freaked out and wanted to leave just after the door closed. This was very unnerving on my first experience back.

-On AA I lucked out, had no middle seat pax next to me. All of the pax behind me had no such luck. Service was slightly friendlier but because even without covid I don't like sitting 3-abreast, I wouldn't want to roll the dice on a full row next time. Cabin crew was indifferent. Got biscotti, peanuts and water.

-WN gate agent and cabin crew were exemplary. Only selling 4 of every 6 seats means nobody is stuck with a middle seat. Seemed like more pitch than UA/AA Y. I'd probably choose this over UA F for my next trip, provided they continue to hold back on filling the planes.
I hate to second guess, but I'm pretty sure they are not serving peanuts onboard. Maybe pretzels or other snack mix?
Old Jun 15, 20, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
I hate to second guess, but I'm pretty sure they are not serving peanuts onboard. Maybe pretzels or other snack mix?
You're absolutely correct. It was pretzels.
Old Jun 15, 20, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
I just completed my 26th segment on UA since mid-April (~40K BIS miles) and am currently happy with them. Seat pitch on UA in E+ is always better than WN, so there is no way I fly them unless they are a better routing or cheaper. So far, they have not been cheaper than UA, except for a few flights (I've flown them 6 times since the beginning of April). I no longer care about FF programs, I buy based strictly on price and minimum total transit time (an extra layover hour is worth significant $ to me).
Dyce likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Im in DEN, contemplating a status match via AA EXP. I have had enough.

Same observations on the peaceful DEN environment.

If applicable how has the current service been to/from DEN + DCA, ORD and points east? Reliable?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: