FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   EWR Terminal check-in changes during COVID times - Where to check-in? Pre-Check? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2019146-ewr-terminal-check-changes-during-covid-times-where-check-pre-check.html)

Roka Jun 6, 2020 1:00 pm

EWR Terminal check-in changes during COVID times - Where to check-in? Pre-Check?

I got a message for a flight tomorrow saying the top level 3 was closed and to go to level 2. Are the GS and/or Polaris 1K check in areas open on level 3? If not, is there an elite check in area downstairs I would hope?

Dublin_rfk Jun 7, 2020 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Roka (Post 32435092)
I got a message for a flight tomorrow saying the top level 3 was closed and to go to level 2. Are the GS and/or Polaris 1K check in areas open on level 3? If not, is there an elite check in area downstairs I would hope?

At least you received a message! Everyone now checks in on the second level (I have no knowledge of where GSs go) as a cattle call. Get out your walking shoes as bag tag kiosks are on one end and the bag check counter is on the other end. If you become confused don’t worry the are several surly uniformed people standing around ready to ignore you.

gloryguy Jun 7, 2020 5:13 am

EWR is a mess right now. Also no clear and no TSA pre. This is probably due to the limited flights out of EWR. I went through LAX last week and 1K /Global services check in was open. as well as TSA pre.

Kleinnaf Jun 7, 2020 5:46 am

Originally Posted by gloryguy (Post 32436489)
EWR is a mess right now. Also no clear and no TSA pre. This is probably due to the limited flights out of EWR. I went through LAX last week and 1K /Global services check in was open. as well as TSA pre.

+1
Everyone checks in on second floor (no special line for J/1k/GS)
Tag your own bags.
Clear was open last week (6/3) saved me quite some time.

​​

Dublin_rfk Jun 7, 2020 11:41 am

Unless CLEAR closed since last Monday, it's on the far right when facing the terminal. Meaning you start checking in on the right then walk to the far left to check your bag and then walk all the way back and up one level to CLEAR. Which normally looks deserted.

LimeyFlyer Jun 7, 2020 12:02 pm

"They" wanted me to try and attach my own bag tags. The cheek of it. GS don't understand such manual labor type of tasks. I had to sit down and call my therapist.

Dublin_rfk Jun 7, 2020 1:54 pm

I had thought that EWR was a 'HUB' but after connecting through ORD, SFO, DEN, IAD, and IAH in the last 6 weeks, I can see that I was incorrect.

lakid Jun 8, 2020 5:30 am

Yesterday at EWR unhelpful staff first ignored me , having not checked bags in a while (years) I stood in line for the check in desk as mentioned up thread no special GS/1K/Polaris line when it was my turn they stopped ignoring me and told me kind of u should know better and tag my own bag first etc. I decided not to answer nor pull the DYKWIA card (MM GS) and apologized to the agent of airline I patronized all the years for my oversight of not knowing what to do and just continued on my way thinking to myself maybe it’s just that I got used to the GS Lobby and it good once in a while for a reality check what normal passengers go through, I am sorry but it’s unacceptable for an airline to treat anyone that way especially in such trying times where they should be smiling to each and every passenger and thanking them for their business wishing them a safe and healthy flight and not the “ your welcome for letting you fly with us” attitude but I must add that onboard the experience was great also to answer the upthread question there was no TSA pre and I did not check clear

AirbusFan2B Jun 8, 2020 5:56 am

Originally Posted by lakid (Post 32439231)
Yesterday at EWR unhelpful staff first ignored me , having not checked bags in a while (years) I stood in line for the check in desk as mentioned up thread no special GS/1K/Polaris line when it was my turn they stopped ignoring me and told me kind of u should know better and tag my own bag first etc. I decided not to answer nor pull the DYKWIA card (MM GS) and apologized to the agent of airline I patronized all the years for my oversight of not knowing what to do and just continued on my way thinking to myself maybe it’s just that I got used to the GS Lobby and it good once in a while for a reality check what normal passengers go through, I am sorry but it’s unacceptable for an airline to treat anyone that way especially in such trying times where they should be smiling to each and every passenger and thanking them for their business wishing them a safe and healthy flight and not the “ your welcome for letting you fly with us” attitude but I must add that onboard the experience was great also to answer the upthread question there was no TSA pre and I did not check clear

Since this new system is working so well at UA’s captive hub :-), UA will undoubtedly seize the opportunity to make it permanent at EWR followed by IAH and then the remaining hubs. It amazes me to no end how 9-11 was used to strategically deteriorize the user experience and now Covid-19.

PS: Lends quite a bit of fuel to the theory that GS program is being dismantled.

PTahCha Jun 8, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lakid (Post 32439231)

FWIW, SFO is self tagging for all elites except GS, but it's a dedicated elite self-tagging area, and agents roam to ration the priority tags.

SteveHK Jun 8, 2020 10:54 am

Clear is most definitely open! Go to the far right of the TSA area. Very friendly, helpful, and has been a godsend lately! I flew our of EWR 48 hours ago most recently.

UAflyer93 Jun 8, 2020 12:37 pm

Same experience at EWR. Level 3 was entirely closed. Had to do self-service check-in downstairs, where the agents were not very friendly.

Clear was open and they were giving out cute little hand sanitizer bottles.

SteveHK Jun 8, 2020 1:35 pm

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b9270a1c44.jpg
My Clear collection so far :P

mike2003242 Jun 8, 2020 4:06 pm

Clear was there today

NikoLGA Jun 8, 2020 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 32439713)
FWIW, SFO is self tagging for all elites except GS, but it's a dedicated elite self-tagging area, and agents roam to ration the priority tags.

Someone should tell them that it’s quite contrary to the language displayed on the website.

I’m not saying I’ve never encountered frazzled agents that will push back, EWR is usually the most susceptible to this, but as someone who always checks-in at a counter, I find that most agents usually have no problem with it - it’s better than it used to be.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0766e518f9.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0a4b97a462.png