Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Asks All Passengers to Take Health Self-Assessment as Part of Check-In Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
News Release Issued: June 10, 2020 (11:00am EDT)

To view this release online and get more information about United Airlines visit: https://hub.united.com/newsroom/?prid=125081

United Airlines Asks All Passengers to Take Health Self-Assessment as Part of Check-In Process

First major U.S. airline to introduce customer acknowledgment form
"Ready-to-Fly" checklist, based on recommendations from the Cleveland Clinic, is latest addition to United CleanPlus program
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, June 10, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today became the first major U.S. airline to ask all passengers to complete a health self-assessment during their check-in process. Based on recommendations from the Cleveland Clinic, the "Ready-to-Fly" checklist asks customers to confirm they have not experienced COVID-19-related symptoms in the 14 days prior to flying. The assessment is part of United CleanPlus, the company's commitment to putting health and safety at the forefront of the entire customer experience.

"As people are returning to their daily activities during the COVID-19 pandemic, their health and safety – as well as the health and safety of others - should continue to be top-of-mind," said Dr. James Merlino, Chief Clinical Transformation Officer at Cleveland Clinic, a nonprofit academic medical center and a United CleanPlus advisor. "Our health experts are pleased to play a role in helping people travel more safely and we worked closely with United to develop a health self-assessment for its customers to better ensure precautions are taken before beginning their journey."

In accordance with guidance set forth by Cleveland Clinic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO), the Ready-to-Fly checklist requires customers to click "Accept" to indicate they have reviewed the checklist during the digital check-in process on the United mobile app, United.com, on a United kiosk, or by reviewing and verbally confirming when checking-in with an agent at the airport to receive a boarding pass. The checklist includes the following:
  • You must wear a face covering while on board for the safety of everyone.
  • Have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 21 days. Have not experienced any of the following symptoms in the past 14 days (excludes symptoms from a pre-existing condition)
    • Temperature of 38 C/100.4 F or higher
    • Cough
    • Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
    • Chills
    • Muscle pain
    • Sore throat
    • Recent loss of taste or smell
  • Have not been denied boarding by another airline due to a medical screening for a communicable disease in the last 14 days.
  • Have not had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
The checklist also affirms customers are willing to abide by the airline's other safety protocols, including wearing a face covering, which is now mandatory for all employees and customers on board a United aircraft. Customers that are not able to confirm these requirements and choose not to travel will be able to reschedule their flight. Customers may also choose to check-in at the airport for further review.

"The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority, and we have been working closely with trusted medical experts and partners to institute new practices and procedures to further protect those who work and travel with us," said Pat Baylis, United's Corporate Medical Director. "United's 'Ready-to-Fly' wellness checklist sets clear guidelines on health requirements for our customers and helps minimize the risk of exposure during the travel experience."

The health self-assessment is part of the United CleanPlus program, which also brings together one of the most trusted brands in surface disinfection - Clorox - and the country's top medical experts - Cleveland Clinic - to inform and guide United's new cleaning, safety and social distancing protocols that includes touchless check-in for baggage at select locations, sneeze guards, and mandatory face coverings for crew and customers onboard our flights.

In April, United became the first major U.S.-based airline to require flight attendants to wear a face mask while on duty, and beginning in May, expanded that mandate to include all employees and customers on board. This includes front-line workers like pilots, customer service agents and ramp workers when on board an aircraft, along with any other United employees traveling using their flight benefits.

For full information on the United Clean Plus program, please visit united.com/cleanplus.
Print Wikipost

UA Asks All Passengers to Take Health Self-Assessment as Part of Check-In Process

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
“Close contact” may seem fairly subjective but it actually has a very objective definition which is extremely similar the world over. Here’s the US one:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...endations.html

Individual who has had close contact (< 6 feet)** for ≥15 minutes

interestingly in Australia (not relevant to UA I know, before anyone says so) has this specific exclusion from being a close contact

Healthcare workers and other contacts who have taken recommended infection control precautions, including the use of full PPE, while caring for a symptomatic confirmed or probable COVID-19 cases are not considered to be close contacts

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/...SoNG-v3.1.docx
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Beyond HCPs, I wonder how many leisure travelers will comply. You go on a trip, get a sore throat or cold. New policy means you must wait until until symptoms clear, then another 14 days before you can fly.

Business travelers whose employers would take that risk may cover the costs. Leisure travelers? In the past they they didn’t want to lose the cost of a plane ticket or incur a change fee when sick. You really think they are going to pay for an additional 14-21 days in a hotel plus meals? And potentially miss work because of a delayed return home?
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Useless Policy

This relies on the "honor system" and as such, is completely unenforceable. No one is going to know if you are lying, but it really doesn't matter if you use some common sense and wear your mask on the flight.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
But what if the liars don't wear their masks?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
But what if the liars don't wear their masks?
I just completed my 24th segment, flying exclusively on UA, since mid-April, and there hasn't been one flight where the FAs hassled a pax about wearing their mask after take-off. My casual observation is that less than 5% of the passengers keep their masks up the whole flight. I see lots of masks on the chin or down around the neck but very few keep them over the nose for the duration.

I keep mine on for the whole flight and don't eat or drink onboard as a precaution.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
My point, though, was that unless you have an N95 mask, wearing a mask serves mostly to prevent you spreading your germs to others — rather than protecting yourself.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
My point, though, was that unless you have an N95 mask, wearing a mask serves mostly to prevent you spreading your germs to others — rather than protecting yourself.
All I have are the N95s, made by 3M. My work requires exposure to dangerous micro-abrasive powders so I am quite used to wearing them for long periods. My brother is a physician at the Mayo Clinic and he says that widespread use of the masks there has been very effective in preventing the spread of the virus inside the hospitaI and they have experienced a very low rate of staff infection. I agree that the cloth masks are nearly useless but, if they make people feel better, so be it.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by mfirst
.... tell those working (or volunteering) in some of the hot zones and everything that they need to contend with - that they then need to Quar for 2 weeks (at whose expense and where?) before they can return home to their families?

-m
I think the quarantine request upon return from a hot zone is very reasonable. What is uncivilized about this statement?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
notquitreaff:
sorry about that - the first post outlined what might be United's new travel policies:
summarized as:
  • You have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 21 days.
  • You have assessed yourself for COVID-19-related symptoms, and have
    experienced none of the following in the last 14 days:
    • Known temperature of 38 C/100.4 F or higher
    • Cough (excludes symptoms from a pre-existing condition)
    • Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing (excludes symptoms
      from a pre-existing condition)
  •  
    • Chills
    • Muscle pain
    • Sore throat
  • You have not been denied boarding by another airline due to a medical screening for a communicable disease in the last 14 days.
  • You have not had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.

The second link was for a story about at Qatar flight to Greece in which a bunch of pass. tested positive upon arrival in Greece (since they are testing everyone) and the other pass were all guaranteed for 14 days (I think) - basically, as someone else commented - how would you like being on a flight an some one in the back (or heck, first) testing positive (even if asymptomatic and had no idea) and then YOU (and maybe your entire family) were quarantined in an area for 2 weeks??? I am sure you can imagine the implications of that.....

Collierkr:
Not arguing, but asking: where? and who will pay?
-m

zombietooth
probably also a liability issue.
and yes, probably unenforceable - unless something really bad happens and can be traced back.....

let me offer another perspective on this "honor system" - my nurse friend, who travels frequently with work and might be impacted both personally and professionally by this has already made it clear that she will remain quiet - which also includes no longer responding to in flight emergencies (something that she has done many times over the years)

-m
notquiteaff and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2020 at 10:09 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM
notquitreaff:
sorry about that - the first post outlined what might be United's new travel policies:
summarized as:
  • You have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 21 days.
  • You have assessed yourself for COVID-19-related symptoms, and have
    experienced none of the following in the last 14 days:
    • Known temperature of 38 C/100.4 F or higher
    • Cough (excludes symptoms from a pre-existing condition)
    • Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing (excludes symptoms
      from a pre-existing condition)
  •  
    • Chills
    • Muscle pain
    • Sore throat
  • You have not been denied boarding by another airline due to a medical screening for a communicable disease in the last 14 days.
  • You have not had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.

The second link was for a story about at Qatar flight to Greece in which a bunch of pass. tested positive upon arrival in Greece (since they are testing everyone) and the other pass were all guaranteed for 14 days (I think) - basically, as someone else commented - how would you like being on a flight an some one in the back (or heck, first) testing positive (even if asymptomatic and had no idea) and then YOU (and maybe your entire family) were quarantined in an area for 2 weeks??? I am sure you can imagine the implications of that.....
Greece might test all arriving passengers but they don’t in Dallas, Des Moines, or Denver. My *guess* on the prior contact clause is it doesn’t apply to health care workers who were intentionally wearing the necessary PPE to avoid infection.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
JimInOhio,
that may be true - but if this policy is correct (and I appreciate some of the objective answers) - I think there would be much unhappiness if someone turned up for a flight and was turned away (or told to reschedule - which is essentially the same) because of their work obligations the policy might be interpreted inconsistently
-m
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Do flight crews need to sign the same acknowledgement?
MSPeconomist and narvik like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
Do flight crews need to sign the same acknowledgement?
We have our own protocols.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...certification/

what about healthcare providers who "might" have been exposed to COVID patients within 2 weeks of travel as a function of their work?
... not to mention if their travel is to areas in which they might be providing care to COVID patients?

-m
IMOHO UA's health certification form isn't worth the ink or paper it's on. Being based on trust, honesty, and vague terms. Some of us have to fly for work, some of us are knowingly and unknowingly exposed to people with active virus.
Like zombietooth I've spent quite a few hours in the air (and another TCON on Monday) I haven't observed one FA hassle a passenger about wearing a mask before or after boarding. I have heard comments about some of the colorful and unique designs of some of the masks which were nothing more than face coverings. I don't believe that they will make us any safer, BUT. I'll read, comply, and sign the required form just like I follow all the (fill in the blank) ___ tsa requirements.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2020 at 6:04 pm Reason: Let's aviod unneeded provactive terms and going into OMNI topics
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
.... tell those working (or volunteering) in some of the hot zones and everything that they need to contend with - that they then need to Quar for 2 weeks (at whose expense and where?) before they can return home to their families?
Perhaps their employer, which in many cases may be self.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.