Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
nothing showing on https://unitedafa.org/news/
except a few weeks ago, https://unitedafa.org/news/2020/9/09...ra-hkg-and-nrt
We expect a ruling from the arbitrator mid-September
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I had heard that it was by the 15th which has been and gone
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I had heard that it was by the 15th which has been and gone
I've only heard "mid-September," which includes the 15th, but also other dates. But yes, with October starting a week from tomorrow, we are now past "mid-September" by most definitions.

Either the arbitrator still hasn't decided, or UA and AFA are sitting on the decision.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96
I've only heard "mid-September," which includes the 15th, but also other dates. But yes, with October starting a week from tomorrow, we are now past "mid-September" by most definitions.

Either the arbitrator still hasn't decided, or UA and AFA are sitting on the decision.
I had heard from someone who would be impacted that the final meeting was the 10th with a ruling no later than the 15th I suspect the decision is made and being sat on for some reason, Government support ,local or international ? ,
If the AFA has won it's case there is some serious re organizing to do
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I had heard from someone who would be impacted that the final meeting was the 10th with a ruling no later than the 15th I suspect the decision is made and being sat on for some reason, Government support ,local or international ? ,
If the AFA has won it's case there is some serious re organizing to do
Strange... A friend of mine is a NRT base crew, and she just told me that she hasn't heard anything yet as of today...
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Strange... A friend of mine is a NRT base crew, and she just told me that she hasn't heard anything yet as of today...
I think that is point under discussion ,if the ruling has be made why the the delay in comms ,I have good friend in FRA in the same situation.It is not helping with peoples nerves
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think that is point under discussion ,if the ruling has be made why the the delay in comms ...
Both are pure speculation.

It is not uncommon for arbitrations to miss the initial deadline. Time will reveal the real situation. The AFA site is likely to be the first public notification
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Both are pure speculation.

It is not uncommon for arbitrations to miss the initial deadline. Time will reveal the real situation. The AFA site is likely to be the first public notification
I am not speculating anything , beyond the result may or may not have been reached and the waiting for people at UA is stressful, which is not speculation at alI .
I also have enough experience in arbitration and national level union negotiations to know that arbitration decision dates once agreed are not very elastic.

Last edited by wanderingkev; Sep 24, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:10 pm

I am not speculating anything , ...
hmmm
...I suspect the decision is made and being sat on for some reason, Government support ,local or international ? , ...
Old Sep 26, 2020, 1:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
https://unitedafa.org/news/2020/9/25...tember-25-2020
Arbitrator Renders Decision in MEC 6-20 – International Base Closures

We have received a verbal award in MEC 6-20. The Union did not prevail in this case.

The Question at Issue was:

“Did the Company violate the Contract based on their intent to close the Frankfurt (FRA), Tokyo (NRT) and Hong Kong (HKG) International Bases effective October 1, 2020, and not transfer Flight Attendants that are not eligible to work in the United States to a location where they can work, specifically the London (LHR) Base pursuant to Section 17 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.”
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:02 am

Their employment was extended until 10/30...and if the CARES ACT extension is approved, their employment will be extended until the end of March next year.
Also, they (FRA, HKG, NRT base crews) are preparing to sue the company... That's what I heard.
Things are getting ugly...
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: UA MM
Their employment was extended until 10/30...and if the CARES ACT extension is approved, their employment will be extended until the end of March next year.
Also, they (FRA, HKG, NRT base crews) are preparing to sue the company... That's what I heard.
Things are getting ugly...
That's interesting. How would the CARES act apply to non-Americans not living in the United States?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:34 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Source?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's interesting. How would the CARES act apply to non-Americans not living in the United States?
Yeah, it's interesting. Those foreign base crews are in a unique position. They are NOT hired locally, so they are part of the payroll just like other US base crews.
I know they get paid in US$ in the US even they live in foreign countries. They pay US taxes and social security etc. I don't know the details, but they are treated just like other US base crews.
I don't think they have to be Americans or living in the US.
Somebody know more about it...
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by wpcoe
Source?
Source? A friend of mine is one of the foreign base crews and he just told me what the situations are now...
I don't think I want to introduce my friend to you, LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.