Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Does the NRT flight attendant base include HND (i.e. it's really a TYO base)?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Does the NRT flight attendant base include HND (i.e. it's really a TYO base)?
No, as provision for "co-terminals" is in the contract. Currently, the following are permitted, with the corresponding domicile:

BWI-IAD-DCA (DCASW)
LGA-JFK-EWR (EWRSW)
MDW-ORD (ORDSW)
OAK-SFO (SFOSW)
BUR-LAX-SNA (LAXSW)

Co-terminals are a legacy item (evidenced by several airports listed as co-terminals that are no longer served by UA) and it is my impression that they are out of favor. So, for the NRT base to staff HND trips, there would have to be agreement of the AFA to modify the contract to that end, and I doubt it would happen, even if the company wanted to. The foreign domiciles are, as you might have gathered from this thread, a bit controversial.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Sad news. Some of the best FAs I've ever had were HKG and NRT based (as well as FRA and LHR!). I wish them the best.
22H likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:42 pm

The NRT crews were simply the best in my experience. I don’t know whether due to Japanese work ethic and culture. But never, ever a bad experience. Most are pretty senior so hopefully will be able to stick around but it won’t be the same.
22H and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
In the past there were lines for SFO base to do SFO-HKG-SIN or ORD base doing ORD-HKG-SIN, one of my ORD base friend who can hold ORD-HKG as purser did that once in a while. In case you are not aware, UA is not as cheap as you think to their FA, UA‘s FA even have longer layover time than both AA and CO.

UA HKG base actually exist way before late 1990s/early 2000s, some of those HKG base are indians that used to fly HKG-DEL, back then UA even base a 3 class 763 at HKG just to fly HKG-DEL-LHR and back when UA was still in Flying U/rainbow livery, so you know how long it has been.
* In fact UA hired local Hong Kong residents as Chinese Interpreter once they started flying to Hong Kong in 1985. They do the same in Tokyo during that time.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:21 am

I reckoned UA's airport ground staff in Hong Kong will be the next to go.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tabeko
I’m not sure. I certainly worry about international ground staff, but we’ve seen places like FRA and MUC in-house ground service staff in recent years.

Also, with HKG having a United Club, it seems like at least some staff would have to be retained.

I’d be more concerned if I was a CSR at PVG, for example.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by NikoLGA

Also, with HKG having a United Club, it seems like at least some staff would have to be retained.
The HKG UA Club personnel are not UA employees. They can only verify your eligibility for admittance to the Club (or GS/VIP Lounge) -- they can't do ticketing, seating, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy
The HKG UA Club personnel are not UA employees. They can only verify your eligibility for admittance to the Club (or GS/VIP Lounge) -- they can't do ticketing, seating, etc.
Yep. Contractors. They can't even print boarding passes.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
United Club at HKG had been outsourced since years ago
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not sure. I certainly worry about international ground staff, but we’ve seen places like FRA and MUC in-house ground service staff in recent years.
In the case of FRA, UA hired its own check-in staff just last year to replace third-party personnel. Sadly, from what I heard many of them will loose their jobs shortly.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tabeko
That will not happen soon.

1. The local staffs are employed per local practice. They are not subject to the same CBA as other UA GAs. Their costs are significantly lower.

2. There are only a limited option of ground service companies. And it does not seem like UA is a friend to them (the possible replacements are only Jardine and SATS).

3. The demand of ground service did not suffer a major change.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Yep. Contractors. They can't even print boarding passes.
Huh! Is that the only club in the system that has contract agents?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Huh! Is that the only club in the system that has contract agents?
NRT has employees I believe. I'm not sure about LHR and MEX.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:53 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kevflyer
NRT has employees I believe. I'm not sure about LHR and MEX.
LHR for sure has UA employees.
wxguy and kevflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.