UA vs DL First

Old Jun 4, 20, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
UA vs DL First

I need to book a flight from SFO-ORF toward end of July. Choices are AA, DL, UA. I see that UA allows full F cabin, and I think same for AA. DL will only fill 50% of the cabin, and guaranteed open seat next to you. Prices are almost the same. Am I missing something? Why would anyone pay for F on UA these days?
Old Jun 4, 20, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Why would anyone pay for F on UA these days?
DL has no alcohol - DL and AA don't offer me bonus miles. Nor do I really like the other airlines all that much but will fly them if the price is attractive enough = as in they''ll need to be substantially lower in price to consider them
SteveHK and cur like this.
Old Jun 4, 20, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
On the F&B side -- AA has cut the least, DL the most and UA is in the middle.

Details depend on the actual flight segments / length.
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jun 4, 20, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corporate travel contracts, schedule, frequent flyer loyalty...

Theres a multitude of reasons UA sells tickets to people vs other airlines
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jun 4, 20, 4:44 pm

DL is not blocking F seats after June 30th (at least the seats are not blocked on the seatmap after that). They may still be limiting F inventory to 50% of seats. C+ and coach continue to have middle seats blocked until September 30th.
Old Jun 4, 20, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Am I missing something? Why would anyone pay for F on UA these days?
If DL flies where you need to go, nonstop, I would tend to agree with you. Note though that DL has reduced F pitch on many of its aircraft to 36".

UA would be my last choice.
Old Jun 4, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
I need to book a flight from SFO-ORF toward end of July. Choices are AA, DL, UA. I see that UA allows full F cabin, and I think same for AA. DL will only fill 50% of the cabin, and guaranteed open seat next to you. Prices are almost the same. Am I missing something? Why would anyone pay for F on UA these days?
For this particular route since you have to connect somewhere anyways, I might be tempted to go with UA if you can route through EWR now that flatbeds appear to be returning.

Even better if you can get a 777/787 with Polaris seats, although who knows if UA will mess around with schedule/aircraft assignments between now and late July.
Old Jun 5, 20, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
DL has cut the most service from their F cabin, and also with half of inventory blocked it's less likely to price the same.
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark View Post
DL has cut the most service from their F cabin, and also with half of inventory blocked it's less likely to price the same.
I find UA consistently has highest fares of the three majors. They seem to have cut capacity deepest.
Old Jun 5, 20, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I find UA consistently has highest fares of the three majors. They seem to have cut capacity deepest.
Guess it depends on where you live and want to fly to. In my neck of the woods, UA has better flight options that DL.
Old Jun 5, 20, 10:49 am

No coffee in F on UA... dont know bout the other airlines...GS had a meltdown when he was told
Old Jun 8, 20, 4:08 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If DL flies where you need to go, nonstop, I would tend to agree with you. Note though that DL has reduced F pitch on many of its aircraft to 36".

UA would be my last choice.
I chose to fly DL for four trips in May due to schedule and price. I was in F for all legs and I have to say that DL's F on the A321 is more comfortable than UA's new F seats. The pitch was greater, the width was greater, it was simply more comfortable. I was in the minority at the time, but UA's new domestic F seat is not well designed, has not held up well, and is not very comfortable to me.
PacificClipper likes this.
Old Jun 8, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
No coffee in F on UA... dont know bout the other airlines...GS had a meltdown when he was told
"For your safety..."
Old Jun 8, 20, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM
Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
No coffee in F on UA... dont know bout the other airlines...
Not on DL or AA either, IME.
Nothing but bottled water on DL--and they put "health" before "safety"-- but you can get beer/liquor on AA if you ask for it.

Last edited by artvandalay; Jun 10, 20 at 7:08 am
Old Jun 8, 20, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a well known fact that the primary source of COVID spread is premium cabin coffee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: