Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

We are booked on UA IAD-HNL in late May, connecting on HA for HNL-LIH. Returning with a west coast connection in early June. The flights are still showing on "my trips" on the App, but I don't think they actually exist. When I try to book them as a new reservation, I cannot. So I assume they have just not updated "my trips".

I think it is very unlikely we will be able to take this trip, unfortunately. But I am holding off because my ability to get a refund for pre-paid accommodations is likely dependent upon an extension of the quarantine order (or the order prohibiting vacation rentals). So we are just waiting for that shoe to drop.

It looks to me like the award redeposit will be free, since my outbound is in May.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:30 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Chamor
We are booked on UA IAD-HNL in late May, connecting on HA for HNL-LIH... I think it is very unlikely we will be able to take this trip, unfortunately.
But would you want to make it? Wouldn't you be subject to Hawaii's 14-day quarantine? I think the governor's order is only through April 30, but that could easily be extended.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
But would you want to make it? Wouldn't you be subject to Hawaii's 14-day quarantine? I think the governor's order is only through April 30, but that could easily be extended.
Definitely would not want to take the trip if the quarantine order applied to our dates (or any portion thereof). And could not take the trip if the prohibition on vacation rentals (Kauai Mayor's order) is extended to cover our dates. In those events, we would definitely cancel.

If those orders end, then I might prefer to cancel anyway. But under those circumstances, it is not clear that I could get a refund of the (substantial) price I paid for accommodations, so we might decide to go.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by RNE
Just watch, he will extend it for months even though it’s not been horrible here.

UA is definitely not making it easy with pricing either. Cash or miles is stupid high.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Chamor
We are booked on UA IAD-HNL in late May, connecting on HA for HNL-LIH. Returning with a west coast connection in early June. The flights are still showing on "my trips" on the App, but I don't think they actually exist. When I try to book them as a new reservation, I cannot. So I assume they have just not updated "my trips".

I think it is very unlikely we will be able to take this trip, unfortunately. But I am holding off because my ability to get a refund for pre-paid accommodations is likely dependent upon an extension of the quarantine order (or the order prohibiting vacation rentals). So we are just waiting for that shoe to drop.

It looks to me like the award redeposit will be free, since my outbound is in May.
I would bet that the flights are cancelled by UA. With 10% of the network active, this is one to be axed.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Just watch, he will extend it for months even though it’s not been horrible here....
Well, one could argue it's not horrible because of the shutdown. 0.6 deaths/100k residents is only bettered (I believe) by Wyoming, which I think is amazing considered number of foreign and domestic visitors here as late as early March. NY's is 39 per 100k.

The 14-day quarantine order is being treated seriously. A visitor arrived on Kauai a couple of days ago and was told to go straight to accommodations. Police spotted her rental car off the most direct path to accommodation, was pulled over and warned to go straight to accommodation. Police then spotted her at grocery store and arrested her on exit. Direct to quarantine means that. You'll have to have groceries delivered or picked up by someone. Not saying everyone is tracked, but with so few visitors - higher risk of being caught. Rental cars are easily identified by locals (and the police subset thereof). There are a lot of car makes/types/condition that make visitors easy to spot. Dodge minivan? Almost 100% tourist. Brightly colored Mustang? Pull over. Clean Jeep of any model w/ no dealer plate frame? Bring bail money

The very few visitors coming have friends/family here.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 16, 2020 at 5:53 pm
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
It is also important to note that AA has filed waiver requests from the DOT to suspend all Hawaii flying except for HNL to August so I expect other carriers to file similar exemptions.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
It is also important to note that AA has filed waiver requests from the DOT to suspend all Hawaii flying except for HNL to August so I expect other carriers to file similar exemptions.
See the discussion of UA's service suspension CARES waiver filling starting here
Includes KOA, ITO, OGG & LIH
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
See the discussion of UA's service suspension CARES waiver filling starting here
Includes KOA, ITO, OGG & LIH
I wouldn't be surprised to see the other carriers also follow suit.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
I have been following this thread with some interest as we are sort of in same situation. Large family group going on non-stop DEN-KOA-DEN in June. Some of group has opted for business because of lie-flats, others in Econ+. Staying in VRBO home. Agree that UA will most likely cancel this flight. Some of us do not want anything except the non-stop with lie flats, others do not care. 4 of the group do not want to go and need the refund ( laid off and could use $$ for home obligations). Can they get refund if/when this flight cancels and there is no non-stop? At this point, the certs are not a good financial option. Apologize - not trying to hijack this thread Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omsflyer
Can they get refund if/when this flight cancels and there is no non-stop?
In the past, that would have been a slam-dunk refund. Today, UA will likely fight if if they can offer an alternative with less than a six hour schedule change. However, UA has also applied for DOT permissions to stop flying to KOA, which should make a refund much easier to get, since the chance of UA offering an alternative flight drop precipitously. A DOT complaint might still be necessary -- UA might try to re-route through HNL and onto an HA-operated flight to KOA -- but you'd have a good case since UA will have changed the operating carrier also, and DOT regulations require that the operating carrier be shown at booking.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by omsflyer
I have been following this thread with some interest as we are sort of in same situation. Large family group going on non-stop DEN-KOA-DEN in June. Some of group has opted for business because of lie-flats, others in Econ+. Staying in VRBO home. Agree that UA will most likely cancel this flight. Some of us do not want anything except the non-stop with lie flats, others do not care. 4 of the group do not want to go and need the refund ( laid off and could use $$ for home obligations). Can they get refund if/when this flight cancels and there is no non-stop? At this point, the certs are not a good financial option. Apologize - not trying to hijack this thread Thanks
With the quarantine requirement for inbound arrivals likely to be expanded into the summer, that could be grounds to cancel/refund too.

And on a related note, know that the mayor has made rental properties a "non-essential" business that must be closed on the Big Island. The order is in effect through end of April but would not be shocked if its expanded through end of June. That would invalidate your VRBO reservation.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Agreed; I don’t see this holiday happening on a number of levels. It might be best to think about alternatives now.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Thank you for this helpful information. Appreciate all of your knowledge
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
With the quarantine requirement for inbound arrivals likely to be expanded into the summer, that could be grounds to cancel/refund too.

And on a related note, know that the mayor has made rental properties a "non-essential" business that must be closed on the Big Island. The order is in effect through end of April but would not be shocked if its expanded through end of June. That would invalidate your VRBO reservation.
Hawaii needs tourists more than any other state - i cant imagine restrictions lasting beyond june assuming numbers drop according to predictions and only 10 deaths to date.. perhaps with restrictions, mask requirements for service industry, maybe even tests but they'll have to open sooner rather than later

UA service is a separate issue - they may be suspending flights as demand is unlikely to pick up right away even when restrictions are lifted - most people will be too scared to spend 6-10 hrs on a plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.