Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 3:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Excellent points. EF is a much better source. Bottom line is FC (as a CPU flight) will be full essentially every day. If one is looking for social distancing, Y is your only choice. The problem is with seat blocking it is impossible, without EF to determine just what your chances are for an empty seat next to you.
You can call and ask if you are trying to decide to decline a CPU. (And I believe seatmap view might be free on EF)

And we have to see how well UA handles the notifying of customers for >70% loads, but that has not been a recent issue for economy flyers in / out of HNL.

Best to assume F will be full, inherent in UA's CPU process.

But more on UA middle seat policy in UA COVID19 precautions: block some seats for pre-assignment, providing masks,...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2020 at 3:24 pm Reason: seatmap view might be free on EF?
Old May 24, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
well over 50% economy seats are empty or blocked on June 7 HNL-SFO UA 724 (appears to be a 777) - -SUnday is likely a peak travel to the mainland date

Interesting, Monday June 8 looks a bit more booked, but still >100+ empty / block seat out of 228

Had to use EF as UA.com does not show blocked separate from booked.
Cheapest fare class being sold on that flight that date is a H fare. We all know seat maps do not correspond to true loads, and it is unclear what the true loads are but the point is that it’s hard to get out of the islands in June on UA at usual prices. Other dates you cannot even book because all fare classes are zeroed.

Last edited by slippahs; May 24, 2020 at 4:51 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 7:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by slippahs
.... We all know seat maps do not correspond to true loads, and it is unclear what the true loads are .....
The typical reasons for underrepresented seat maps, tour groups or originating from a region where picking advance seating is not common, probably don't apply here. Plus the close in and recent flights don't look terribly different. And in this case, the UA display of seatmaps is giving the opposite impression, higher load factors.

However. the key point of the post was one can better see the impacts of seat blocking on EF than on the united site or apps. Looking at the united site only when with this COVID seat blocking can lead to a significant misunderstanding of the actual situation.

As for the high fare class / process, see the discussion in Ridiculously uncompetitive airfares?
Old May 26, 2020, 3:00 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by cmculp
Gov Ige extended the inbound quarantine today to June 30. As long as it remains, demand will be trivial. Supply will necessarily match.
Unless you have a place to stay for free, who's going to go to Hawaii only to spend $1000's for a hotel room and room service food for 14 days?
Old May 28, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Governor just announced 14 day quarantine will be extended past June 30 - did not name new date just an extension.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Governor just announced 14 day quarantine will be extended past June 30 - did not name new date just an extension.
He's told press at least through August 1 and he doesn't want to see cruise ships return prior to Summer 2021.

There's no way United is going to bring back any service of
consequence to Hawaii anytime soon.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
He's told press at least through August 1 and he doesn't want to see cruise ships return prior to Summer 2021.

There's no way United is going to bring back any service of
The "cruise ships second half of 2021" was from a paper by state economists on the effects on the economy if no ships (and a gazillion other assumptions). It was not an official government policy that there won't be any cruise ships until late 2021.

Far, far, far more people go to Hawaii by plane...about 35k per day prior to Covid.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
...There's no way United is going to bring back any service of
Yeah - kinda resigned to it. If my AC trip to London in December holds up, I'll qualify for 1K under current hurdles. In meantime, I'm growing quite fold of HA's A330 row 11 mini-cabin w/ blocked seating
renila, SPN Lifer and DELee like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
July 31 is the talk of the island. It is a dilemma ....it seems possible to suffocate the virus with the quarantine in effect but not with thousands of visitors a day inbound. The cost is a pretty dire economic toll. Absent better clinical tools, I don’t see a sweet spot.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:44 pm

Interesting - at least to me - UA retained July schedule for the Hawaiian Airlines - I expected them to take pretty much all the flights off of the schedule.

I'm wondering if they think it may be sooner than July 31 or left those flights on schedule for another reason
Old May 30, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting - at least to me - UA retained July schedule for the Hawaiian Airlines - I expected them to take pretty much all the flights off of the schedule.

I'm wondering if they think it may be sooner than July 31 or left those flights on schedule for another reason
I've been speculating for months that UA is dragging their feet on removing flights that they KNOW have almost no chance of operating. As soon as the waiver was granted to stop serving the neighbor islands, all flights should have been scrubbed through September 30.

Because many people book Hawaii trips far in advance, UA is likely holding a lot of cash (mine included) and miles, and they're waiting as long as possible before removing the flights from the schedule and issuing refunds.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by bikenski
As soon as the waiver was granted to stop serving the neighbor islands, all flights should have been scrubbed through September 30.
I don't agree with that at all - lifting all flights until September 30. We've only learned a couple of days ago the intention was extend past June 30. It makes sense to me to wipe out the July schedule - perhaps leaving it on with competitors keeping the flights also.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Okay; I left Maui in March, for a ten day mainland trip. Im still here. I need to get back to try to resurrect my Maui business, and I am thinking of leaving in late June. I'll just bite the bullet on the quarantine (I'll take a bunch of paper work, maybe I'll file my taxes...whatever). But how to get there from Denver?

The United SFO_HNL, and then figure a commuter over to Maui? I see on line that Mokulele is flying into the west side (JHM). That could be an option.

I think Hawaiian is flying from SFO to Maui through HNL. Alaska claims to be going there through Seattle. Anybody have a recommendation? My first screen is likelihood that the flight will actually go.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by denver19
Okay; I left Maui in March, for a ten day mainland trip. Im still here. I need to get back to try to resurrect my Maui business, and I am thinking of leaving in late June. I'll just bite the bullet on the quarantine (I'll take a bunch of paper work, maybe I'll file my taxes...whatever). But how to get there from Denver?

The United SFO_HNL, and then figure a commuter over to Maui? I see on line that Mokulele is flying into the west side (JHM). That could be an option.

I think Hawaiian is flying from SFO to Maui through HNL. Alaska claims to be going there through Seattle. Anybody have a recommendation? My first screen is likelihood that the flight will actually go.
My wife and kids flew DEN-SFO-HNL-OGG. One ticket from UA, so luggage wasn’t an issue. Long layover in HNL though, think they arrived around 7 pm. I didn’t think JHM was back open though for that to be an option?
Old May 31, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by denver19

Heck, worst case, get a friend with a boat. Locals used to laugh every time McGarrett told Danno to "seal this rock". If it's worth enough to you to bit the bullet for the quarantine, it's worth chartering a boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.