Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old May 19, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I just flew Delta from OGG - LAX and then on to PDX last night/this morning. Flight from OGG was full other than middle seats. OGG is a ghost town. No services open other than a Coke machine and a water bottle fill/fountain. In-flight was super minimal - a bag with a bottle of water some cookies and Cheez-its. So, bring your own food I guess is my point. 4-hour layover at LAX this morning was miserable waiting to get up to PDX. I imagine getting on to LAS might be similar.

I was on Maui for 2 months and watched flights closely in preparation for coming back to the mainland. All I can tell you is the schedule means nothing. Flights are getting cancelled regularly. Often within a week or so of the flight. The best way to get an idea of your options is to watch your favorite flight-tracker to see what is actually flying.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:23 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Hmmm... I guess the thousands of UA elites are now "stranded" in Canada as well since UA cut service.
Hah, I was about to post the same thing, as UA started dropping some of its Canadian flights, even before COVID. YOW no longer has EWR flights, and lost a few weekly flights.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Based on UA's decision to get a waiver and leave all islands except the 1 flight just before midnight HNL-SFO, I'll be taking my first DL flight in 8 years. I'm one of those crazies that will connect on UA vs. a non-stop OAL. I know, I'm a gluten for punishment. Well, now my choice out of KOA is 3 stops (HNL, SFO, ORD/DEN) to get to MCI with a 19 hour elapsed time, yikes . Next week I'm taking DL direct to LAX and then MSP before MCI. Still a long day/night, but it is 6 hours shorter and gets in at 3 PM vs 8 PM. Service is non-existent on both carriers so that's a push. I was still considering the UA option (I'm an idiot) until the decision DL made to sell no more than 50/60% ( F/Y). That pushed it over the top. We'll see how it goes.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
until the decision DL made to sell no more than 50/60% ( F/Y). That pushed it over the top. We'll see how it goes.
Unless you already got infected, this ought to be the "over the top" issue. An extra six hours and a better arrival time is also a big +
Old May 23, 2020, 10:02 pm

It is easily 70%+ booked in Y and FULL in FC every night. No social distancing happening in that "petri dish" they call an airplane. No sign of additional flights on the schedule (they just canceled my June flight to/from LAX). As long as Hawaii has a 14 quarantine nothing will change. And then it will happen far too slowly compared to airlines that didn't bail on the entire island market except the 1 daily flight SFO-HNL.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2020 at 3:17 pm Reason: split post
Old May 24, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...No sign of additional flights on the schedule (they just canceled my June flight to/from LAX)...
Yeah, complaining about sitting in a "crowded" gate area for a half-hour (when thereare plenty of uncrowded and air-conditioned areas nearby), and being on a "70% full" plane for 8 hours seems contradictory. One can move to an empty gate area, one can't sit on the wing.

I bought a HA ticket to mainland for mid-June last week and then HA cancelled the flight next day. It's happened to me 3 or 4 times in last two months. I almost need a spread sheet to keep track of refunds due. The good news is Hawaii has pretty much kept a lid on the spread. The tough part is how to get tourists (and flights) back w/o reigniting the problem. The State is looking at thermal scanners, but that only catches a single symptom. Other (asymptomatic, or non-fevered) spreaders could slip through. I'm definitely watching states like Alabama who seem to have decided to open up in spite of bad data. If Hawaii could get some arrivals testing in place, it could advertise itself as a safe haven from your neighbors

I-O-T, on day 5 of state-mandated home quarantine. I've got 5 acres, a backhoe, and another pint of half and half for my coffee. All's good.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 24, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old May 24, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Until of course you get on the only UA flight of the day out of the islands. It is easily 70%+ booked in Y and FULL in FC every night.
I haven't been to Hawaii for a number of years so, when I read your post, I went and looked at the flights. I wasn't able to find flights with as heavily booked as you indicated. Where did you find that data?
Old May 24, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I haven't been to Hawaii for a number of years so, when I read your post, I went and looked at the flights. I wasn't able to find flights with as heavily booked as you indicated. Where did you find that data?
Look at the single daily flight in June, HNL-SFO.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by slippahs
Look at the single daily flight in June, HNL-SFO.
well over 50% economy seats are empty or blocked on June 7 HNL-SFO UA 724 (appears to be a 777) - -SUnday is likely a peak travel to the mainland date

Interesting, Monday June 8 looks a bit more booked, but still >100+ empty / block seat out of 228

Had to use EF as UA.com does not show blocked separate from booked.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It is easily 70%+ booked in Y and FULL in FC every night.

No sign of additional flights on the schedule (they just canceled my June flight to/from LAX).
Seeing loads of 70%+ brings me some optimism of getting back in the air again.

Lots of additional flights beginning in July - even destinations like ORD showing a nonstop. My morning HNL-SFO-LAS still showing. I was in Waikiki yesterday - just plain depressing. Even though retail stores can be open, more than 50% closed. Practically every hotel closed with barriers to the entrance of the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton. The entire beachfront of those hotels wrapped metal fencing. I think the State just isn't going to have a choice but to drop the quarantine July 5 or so. Businesses are getting wiped out left and right here.

If they extend quarantine post July 5 - UA will wipe out that month also.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...If they extend quarantine post July 5 - UA will wipe out that month also.
If a HNL-YYZ-LHR r.t. holds up in December, I'll have already qualified for 1K next year w/o any further UA flying. That being said, I hope UA restores service sometime this summer to Maui because I have some business travel to LV in the fall and I'd rather do it as Premier on UA than a non-status person as I have been on sundry airlines. I haven't seen the tail of a UA plane at OGG on my way to town for more than two months now
Old May 24, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Seeing loads of 70%+ brings me some optimism of getting back in the air again.

Lots of additional flights beginning in July - even destinations like ORD showing a nonstop. My morning HNL-SFO-LAS still showing. I was in Waikiki yesterday - just plain depressing. Even though retail stores can be open, more than 50% closed. Practically every hotel closed with barriers to the entrance of the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton. The entire beachfront of those hotels wrapped metal fencing. I think the State just isn't going to have a choice but to drop the quarantine July 5 or so. Businesses are getting wiped out left and right here.

If they extend quarantine post July 5 - UA will wipe out that month also.
Agree. I drive around Kaanapali and Kapalua and itís very strange to see barricades and fences blocking the hotels.

Retail is opening back up, but with little to no tourists...
Old May 24, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
well over 50% economy seats are empty or blocked on June 7 HNL-SFO UA 724 (appears to be a 777) - -SUnday is likely a peak travel to the mainland date

Interesting, Monday June 8 looks a bit more booked, but still >100+ empty / block seat out of 228

Had to use EF as UA.com does not show blocked separate from booked.
For total clarity, I see many seat maps that look like that a couple weeks out as well. I am saying that when you look at the seat map the day of flight (especially just after they close the doors) you see a very different picture. They have cancelled all flights except HNL-SFO. There are many people that have been moved to this flight and do not have seat assignments yet. The bigger change happens T-1. It is not unusual to see 40+ stand by's cleared. The seat map as they close the doors on that flight is very different than a couple weeks out. Take a look at the seat map for the last couple of days as an example (sorry, my linking skills are no good). Just my observation from watching this flight like a hawk for weeks. Also, I have not seen a flight in the last 2 weeks go out with more than 1 or 2 seats open in FC.

Last edited by bluedemon211; May 24, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Take a look at the seat map for the last couple of days as an example (sorry, my linking skills are no good). ....
EF does not go back very fare for seatmaps but

23 May UA 372 F was full as you would expect for a CPU flight, Y was well under 50% (blocked / empty) -- these could be impacted by the Memorial Day Holiday

24 May UA 372 F is about 50% but enough on the upgrade list to likely fill F, Y is far below 50%, 12 on the standby list at this moment (about 12 hours to flight)

As long as you are looking at a source like EF and not UA, you can get a good idea of flight load on the day of travel but the seatmap on UA.com or app is not a reliable picture of the situation.

The earlier poted query was to look at any day in June on united.com but with the seatmap display issue, that is not a useful view.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
EF does not go back very fare for seatmaps but

23 May UA 372 F was full as you would expect for a CPU flight, Y was well under 50% (blocked / empty) -- these could be impacted by the Memorial Day Holiday

24 May UA 372 F is about 50% but enough on the upgrade list to likely fill F, Y is far below 50%, 12 on the standby list at this moment (about 12 hours to flight)

As long as you are looking at a source like EF and not UA, you can get a good idea of flight load on the day of travel but the seatmap on UA.com or app is not a reliable picture of the situation.

The earlier poted query was to look at any day in June on united.com but with the seatmap display issue, that is not a useful view.
Excellent points. EF is a much better source. Bottom line is FC (as a CPU flight) will be full essentially every day. If one is looking for social distancing, Y is your only choice. The problem is with seat blocking it is impossible, without EF to determine just what your chances are for an empty seat next to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.