Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robbo1
Given the looming April 30 deadline (i have seen nothing suggesting they will extend that) does United being granted this exemption under the CARES Act and possibly not flying to/from OGG through to Sept increase my odds of requesting a refund rather than a ETC? I realize United could restart service to OGG before Sept (and I can still see these flights on the United site) but can i use this to argue for a refund?
Given the attitudes that UA reps have been showing about refunds -- no, I don't think that's a feasible approach. In the best of times, UA reps tend not to look any further than the current reservation: "Sir, according to my computer, your flight is still operating." Now, when they're denying perfectly valid refund requests in a misguided attempt to save cash? They'll insist either that UA will restore the flight or that they'll put you on a partner airline or whatnot.

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
Robbo1 I’m interested to see what others say about this. I keep wondering ...if we have made the decision as a family to just go next year , should I wait until UNITED has actually cancelled the nonstop flight we chose now that they got this exception from DOT ? Or can I just pull the plug now ?
Because you made an award reservation, if you've made the decision to postpone your trip, there's no reason to wait for UA to cancel your flight. UA is waiving redeposit fees for all award tickets, as long as you make the change more than 30 days prior to departure.

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
One thing different on my situation ....I paid with all points transferred to my MileagePlus account from Chase . So I’m assuming those 180,000 points I should get back in my MP account will sit there until we decide to travel again and can’t be used for any other financial expenses . I don’t think I can transfer points back to Chase. Maybe somebody can clarify.
There are very few (no?) positive reports of people being able to reverse a points transfer from United back to a partner. I'd say you're stuck with MileagePlus miles.

Originally Posted by MGOH32
I have one leg of our Hawaii vacation scheduled with United, KOA to San on July 1 for 7 people. I was planning to just take the ETC by April 30 because I don't want to lose all of our money(change fees would be more than the tickets)but now that I see they can suspend flying to everything but HNL does anyone think there is a chance I can get a refund? or is it stupid to gamble when I can get the ETC's, although at this point those have very little value to me unless they can be used internationally, which I am not sure about. Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

ETCs can be used internationally, but only on United-operated flights. Future Flight Credit, which is also available to you if you cancel, can be used on partner flights, but only by the original travelers.

I do not think these flights will be removed from the schedule by Thursday. However, I'd wait another day to see if UA extends their waiver.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Robbo1
Given the looming April 30 deadline (i have seen nothing suggesting they will extend that) does United being granted this exemption under the CARES Act and possibly not flying to/from OGG through to Sept increase my odds of requesting a refund rather than a ETC? I realize United could restart service to OGG before Sept (and I can still see these flights on the United site) but can i use this to argue for a refund?
You can try any line of argument, but until UA cancels the flights, UA is not going to cave on refunds -- UA has made that abundantly clear.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can try any line of argument, but until UA cancels the flights, UA is not going to cave on refunds -- UA has made that abundantly clear.
Thanks. You could probably tell from the tone of my question that i assumed that would be the answer but i figured i would ask for people's thoughts
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan
An update - just got off the phone with United and as most of you have predicted the agent said that she can still see the flights in the system so no cancellation or changes have been made to my August flights.

i also asked about the April 30 deadline. She put me on hold and came back and said United is thinking of extending it and we may see an announcement later today or tomorrow. I know many are expecting an extension and this was really just guessing on her part but hopefully the deadline is extended. Also hoping that in a month or so we will all have a better sense of when travel to Hawaii will be more feasible....
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Hawaii Flights and 31 May extension

I believe that there are a variety of threads discussing this but I am looking for something relatively specific. Mods, please move if necessary. Tickets DEN - KOA - DEN in June - all non refundable. I know that UA is dropping KOA but schedule not showing that yet - assume it will be loaded over this weekend. If I cancel today, I can get Certs good for 2 years. If I wait until UA cancels and changes my flights to what is in May's schedule - Flights will be over 6 hrs difference, 2 stops vs non-stop, cabin change for some, etc. So, based on this I should get a refund. What confuses me is will there be a cancellation fee as the flights are non- refundable? Also, how long will it take to get the refunds? Does this new extension to 31 May revert certs back to 12 months? I and spouse are Plat 2million milers, others have no status - does this matter? Any help appreciated. Feel I have until midnight today to make this decision. Thank you
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omsflyer
What confuses me is will there be a cancellation fee as the flights are non- refundable?
No.

Also, how long will it take to get the refunds?
It depends upon how much UA fights. Recent reports are 3 weeks or more, although the DOT only gives them 7 days.

Does this new extension to 31 May revert certs back to 12 months?
No.

Feel I have until midnight today to make this decision.
Nothing changes tonight. The extension that UA announced yesterday carries forward, to May 31, the same options you have today. They just replaced 'April 30' with 'May 31' on their travel waivers page.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Tickets DEN - KOA - DEN in June - all non refundable. I know that UA is dropping KOA but schedule not showing that yet - assume it will be loaded over this weekend. If I cancel today, I can get Certs good for 2 years. If I wait until UA cancels and changes my flights to what is in May's schedule - Flights will be over 6 hrs difference, 2 stops vs non-stop, cabin change for some, etc. So, based on this I should get a refund. What confuses me is will there be a cancellation fee as the flights are non- refundable? Also, how long will it take to get the refunds? Does this new extension to 31 May revert certs back to 12 months? I and spouse are Plat 2million milers, others have no status - does this matter? Any help appreciated. Feel I have until midnight today to make this decision. Thank you
As the letter announcing the May 31 extensions (replacing the previous 30 April deadline) states
Every customer now has until May 31 to make changes to current reservations or book new flights that can be changed or canceled without a fee, and you'll be able to reschedule your trip for anytime in the next 12 months.
Refunds can take days or weeks if approved
If not approved, future flight credit ot electronic travel credit would be offered
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Also don't expect United to cancel flights until the last minute so they can hold onto your $$ longer. I have tickets next week to/from Hawaii cities that UA has no intention of flying and they're still not showing as canceled.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:38 am

Thanks to all of you for this information. I will let you know how this quest for a refund goes
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Until Oct 1 or until further notice (whichever comes first), only direct United flights to/from Hawaii are via HNL. Any interisland to/from HNL are routed via Hawaiian Air.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Understood. But, if you try to book a flight to LIH in July (for example) it shows non-stop choices.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:01 pm

I think this will change after new schedules are loaded - possibly this weekend
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by small ring
Understood. But, if you try to book a flight to LIH in July (for example) it shows non-stop choices.
That's why I spoke with agent at 1K desk to better understand what was going on. Her response was what I posted. My bad forgetting to add the source.

Last edited by 2stepbay; Apr 30, 2020 at 1:54 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:40 pm

Moved a long discussion about local issues and state/future of tourism in Hawaii to
When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?
in the Hawaii forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 4, 2020, 8:33 am

Thought I would update on my situation. UA has now somewhat put their new Hawaii schedule in place. However, when I look at "My Trips" it shows my original booking. Yet if I try to book the same trip it shows "no flights available" for the same dates. If I do a calendar search for any 7 days in June, the only date that pops up is in early June and shows a 2 stop trip via SFO and HNL using HA on the HNL - KOA legs - they also show only Y to SFO and HNL. With this info I called UA and was told that I could not get a refund as my flight was not cancelled. Go thru full explanation and told no. HUCA and same story x 2. Will continue to wait this out and get back with the final results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.