Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 24, 20, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 20, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by AlohafromKOA View Post
I like your milk run idea!
Sorry maybe Iím being ditsy but can you explain?
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler View Post
Thank you. I guess this means we cancel our trip this summer. I'm assuming (or hopeful) United will give us back our 180,000 points from our 4 award flights without much of a hassle. So just to confirm... this statement you are providing means United will NOT fly to LIH (or the other airports you mentioned) until at least after September 30th?

Just curious why Hawaii'n is all the sudden trying to sell flights to there starting in July? Is it because customers will pay now and because of their 2-year allowed to change policy with these flights, they at least have some cash coming in now for flights even if they know there's a reasonably good chance flights to LIH won't happen in July?
because things will reopen soon and many will want to travel... and if UA decides to drop the routes HA will happily pick up that crowd
it's hard to make any guarantees but most evidence (china and europe cycle timeframe, current numbers and trends in US, NZ etc etc) suggest this getting fully under control in a few weeks; hawaii barely have any cases now (very similar to NZ if we want to compare) but understandably they want to see mainland getting to the same point before opening travel...
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Does this indicate this airline feels confident tourism will begin to pick up in July ?...
Hawaii flights are not just full of tourists. With all the other major airlines reducing their Hawaii schedules, Hawaiian is now the go-to for locals, military, business travelers, some cargo. If the can pick up some tourists with the rest, fine. Booking Hawaiian to the West Coast looks necessary for the time being for this United 1K - and it's not because the airline feels confident tourism will pick up in July - it's because it looks like it's the only dependable game in town.

Airlines will add flights only when they see demand pick up. Hawaiian might be in a position to add flights earlier than competitors just due to the cost/effort of starting up airport operations at temporarily-abandoned outer island stations.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 27, 20 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Just curious why Hawaii'n is all the sudden trying to sell flights to there starting in July? Is it because customers will pay now and because of their 2-year allowed to change policy with these flights, they at least have some cash coming in now for flights even if they know there's a reasonably good chance flights to LIH won't happen in July?
United is also selling seats to all the islands in July - doesn't mean they will actually fly those routes.

If Georgia opening up goes well - and the US West Coast and Vegas opens up and it goes well - Hawaii will likely follow a few weeks after that. I see no scenario Hawaii opens up for tourism until California and Nevada open up first for at least a few weeks......
Old Apr 27, 20, 3:30 pm

So if United was granted this thing from DOT about stopping service to LIH through September 30th, does that mean United should be contacting me about our nonstop award flight scheduled DEN-LIH-DEN July 21? Am I understanding that because of this from DOT, there's no sense in me waiting any longer to cancel our flight and start the process to get my 180,000 points put back in my account (which I'm actually assuming will go back into my United Explorer card, which is where I transferred our points into from Chase)? And speaking of getting those points back... if they are put back into my United Explorer card, does that mean these 180,000 points can only be used for future United flights? I just want to make sure I'm doing all the right things before I pull the plug on our vacation. I think if I'm understanding right, due to this DOT thing, UA will NOT be flying to LIH until at least Oct 1, correct? Thanks for any clarification.
Old Apr 27, 20, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
So if United was granted this thing from DOT about stopping service to LIH through September 30th, does that mean United should be contacting me about our nonstop award flight scheduled DEN-LIH-DEN July 21? Am I understanding that because of this from DOT, there's no sense in me waiting any longer to cancel our flight and start the process to get my 180,000 points put back in my account (which I'm actually assuming will go back into my United Explorer card, which is where I transferred our points into from Chase)? And speaking of getting those points back... if they are put back into my United Explorer card, does that mean these 180,000 points can only be used for future United flights? I just want to make sure I'm doing all the right things before I pull the plug on our vacation. I think if I'm understanding right, due to this DOT thing, UA will NOT be flying to LIH until at least Oct 1, correct? Thanks for any clarification.
There is no fee to cancel award flights in 2020 -- flight cancellation or not. This has been true for weeks, there has been no reason to wait.
The points will go back to your MP Account (Not your Chase account), any fees will go to the credit card used
When UA resumes can change but the DOT will not require UA to resume sooner October
Old Apr 27, 20, 3:44 pm

Incorrect. AFAIK there is no published schedule change yet and UA is selling tix to all those destinations; it's just UA now has a permission to drop any of those routes. Whether they drop any, some or all is TBD at this point...
If you cancel your miles will be back to UA mileage account (not to chase points).
Personally i have no idea why you are in a rush to cancel the trip 3 months away now unless you plan to get points and rebook to some place which you see as high(er) certainty...
Old Apr 27, 20, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
There is no fee to cancel award flights in 2020 -- flight cancellation or not. This has been true for weeks, there has been no reason to wait.
The points will go back to your MP Account (Not your Chase account), any fees will go to the credit card used
When UA resumes can change but the DOT will not require UA to resume sooner October
I think thatís a part of me thatís confused too...I am such a rookie on travel stuff. What does the DOT have to do with all this ? Canít United choose where to and where not fly ? I clearly donít know much about the airline business, but love learning .

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Incorrect. AFAIK there is no published schedule change yet and UA is selling tix to all those destinations; it's just UA now has a permission to drop any of those routes. Whether they drop any, some or all is TBD at this point...
If you cancel your miles will be back to UA mileage account (not to chase points).
Personally i have no idea why you are in a rush to cancel the trip 3 months away now unless you plan to get points and rebook to some place which you see as high(er) certainty...
I guess not really understanding this ďUA not flying until at least Oct 1Ē is confusing , so I just figured I might as well not wait . But Iím not completely in a hurry . We have started thinking about maybe changing to March of next year . Right now just exploring options and trying to understand whatís going on with UA and DOT.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 20 at 6:33 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 27, 20, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess not really understanding this ďUA not flying until at least Oct 1Ē is confusing , so I just figured I might as well not wait . But Iím not completely in a hurry . We have started thinking about maybe changing to March of next year . Right now just exploring options and trying to understand whatís going on with UA and DOT.
The CARES Act - federal bailout money - requires airlines to maintain a level of service to airports they currently provide service and needed an exemption to cut service to a city from DOT. UA has a blanket exemption to Hawaii except Honolulu until Oct 1. If somehow the State opens for tourism before then - then UA may resume service if their is demand
Old Apr 27, 20, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
The CARES Act - federal bailout money - requires airlines to maintain a level of service to airports they currently provide service and needed an exemption to cut service to a city from DOT. UA has a blanket exemption to Hawaii except Honolulu until Oct 1. If somehow the State opens for tourism before then - then UA may resume service if their is demand
That actually makes total sense. Thank you so much !
Old Apr 28, 20, 8:22 am

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Now that approval to suspend all neighbor island flights has been granted, why is United still carrying them on the schedule? For the 0.001% chance that this virus vanishes on the first day of summer and everything goes back to normal?

I have two DEN-OGG trips booked, and have already written them off as nearly impossible. But United still shows 777s operating daily non-stop on the route, and would happily sell me more tickets.
Old Apr 28, 20, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bikenski View Post
Now that approval to suspend all neighbor island flights has been granted, why is United still carrying them on the schedule? For the 0.001% chance that this virus vanishes on the first day of summer and everything goes back to normal?
They typically do large schedule updates on the weekends. Expect to see those flights removed from the schedule over the next couple of Saturdays.
Old Apr 28, 20, 8:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
They typically do large schedule updates on the weekends. Expect to see those flights removed from the schedule over the next couple of Saturdays.
Hello i am in a similar boat to others - I booked flights a few months ago for a summer trip to Hawaii - Aug 15: YYZ-LAX-HNL returning Aug 29: OGG-DEN-YYZ. I would prefer a refund rather then a ETC for a number of reasons. I have been following the various FT threads and the United website waiting to see if they cancelled any of my flights (didn't think i would see any changes as we are months away from Aug) but more importantly to see whether United extended their deadline for no change fees beyond April 30.

Given the looming April 30 deadline (i have seen nothing suggesting they will extend that) does United being granted this exemption under the CARES Act and possibly not flying to/from OGG through to Sept increase my odds of requesting a refund rather than a ETC? I realize United could restart service to OGG before Sept (and I can still see these flights on the United site) but can i use this to argue for a refund?
Old Apr 28, 20, 9:15 am

Robbo1 Iím interested to see what others say about this. I keep wondering ...if we have made the decision as a family to just go next year , should I wait until UNITED has actually cancelled the nonstop flight we chose now that they got this exception from DOT ? Or can I just pull the plug now ?

One thing different on my situation ....I paid with all points transferred to my MileagePlus account from Chase . So Iím assuming those 180,000 points I should get back in my MP account will sit there until we decide to travel again and canít be used for any other financial expenses . I donít think I can transfer points back to Chase. Maybe somebody can clarify.
Old Apr 28, 20, 9:18 am

I have one leg of our Hawaii vacation scheduled with United, KOA to San on July 1 for 7 people. I was planning to just take the ETC by April 30 because I don't want to lose all of our money(change fees would be more than the tickets)but now that I see they can suspend flying to everything but HNL does anyone think there is a chance I can get a refund? or is it stupid to gamble when I can get the ETC's, although at this point those have very little value to me unless they can be used internationally, which I am not sure about. Thanks for any advice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: