Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Without adequate testing facility. I doubt HI will open quickly even though they absolutely need visitor revenue.

I am a lot more pessimistic about the OPís chances than I was originally.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Hawaii needs tourists more than any other state - i cant imagine restrictions lasting beyond june assuming numbers drop according to predictions and only 10 deaths to date.. perhaps with restrictions, mask requirements for service industry, maybe even tests but they'll have to open sooner rather than later
You do have it right, we need the tourists - already at 37% projected unemployment.

I give the summer tourism season a 50/50 chance to restart - odds go up dramatically with a treatment. If we can get our cases to zero though - I picture State leaders keeping the state closed if new cases still prevalent on the mainland and in Asia. If there is a way to test all arrivals - another way get the state open.

But crowds of people in Waikiki potentially sick - I don't think so. The next 6 weeks will be important
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

I give the summer tourism season a 50/50 chance to restart - odds go up dramatically with a treatment.
For Hawaii I give it about a 20% chance. Without a vaccine the only people who will actually want to fly are those who have antibodies and very few others. The vaccine is not coming soon enough. I have a hotel booking for the Big Island in December. Even that is at risk.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You do have it right, we need the tourists - already at 37% projected unemployment.

I give the summer tourism season a 50/50 chance to restart - odds go up dramatically with a treatment. If we can get our cases to zero though - I picture State leaders keeping the state closed if new cases still prevalent on the mainland and in Asia. If there is a way to test all arrivals - another way get the state open.
i just wish they opened it up for on-island residents. Here on the Big Island, we not only have no COVID patients in hospitals, but overal hospital utilization is down 33% YOY.

Itd be great to go to our restaurants, parks, and beaches. Our economy is destroyed, but before its rebuilt post-vaccine, we should make the most of it and take advantage of what we have here without tourists in a really isolated environment.

UA management had told me that KOA has the most GS's in the system on a GS per seat flown basis. Its crazy to see KOA axed...and service to LIH OGG axed too for the forseeable future.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The virus is not going to be eradicated anytime soon. The states will have to decide if they want to take reasonable risks or destroy their economies with zero tolerance. Reasonable risk might be limiting visitors to those that come from states with strict quarantines (e.g. West Coast). Require a certificate of good health for all incoming passengers, temperature checks on arrival (just replace the agricultural checks), and continue reasonable social distancing (i.e. separate families at pools, beaches etc.) Require masks indoors. Let restaurants serve takeout or at outdoor tables that are spaced.

Most visitors won't be there more than a week so Hawaii won't have to worry about treating them. Of course there is a risk they will bring the virus but good practices will decrease the risks. Hawaii (excluding Honolulu) is much safer than NYC in this regard - I never see crowds except at the pools. The summer season only comes once a year. Inbound domestic passengers coming out of quarantines should be much safer than those coming from crowded third world cities.

As June seems to be out for international travel, we would definitely consider Hawaii for June/July if we can visit the beaches. Unfortunately August is out for those of us with schools that open early.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
The 37% unemployment and proposed 20% state worker salary cuts will not allow for as long a shutdown as some may like. Some risks will need to be taken. And if cases stay low here, and being domestic, I thinks folks would be back here pretty quick. Itís pretty amazing to see Oahu now with 120k fewer people on it.

Emirates is doing rapid testing pre-boarding for certain flights from Dubai. Something like that would be ideal to significantly reduce risks. ...and imagine the advertising space available on all the free masks that will be distributed...

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; Apr 18, 2020 at 2:32 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
The 37% unemployment and proposed 20% state worker salary cuts will not allow for as long a shutdown as some may like.
There are still 25K+ detected new cases every day in the US at the moment. I would say any talk of opening up tourism in Hawaii has to wait until itís 10x lower than that. At least another 6 weeks and maybe 12 weeks or we will get a W shaped recovery. It has to be a trickle at first as well.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

this was Kaanapali today. Trying to find flights for my brother, itís best to yank COS and focus on DEN. Definitely not the time to visit, you will be bored.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2020 at 4:44 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:51 am

Just throwing this out there ....I got an email from Beat if Hawaii that Hawaiian airlines is offering several deals to all the islands July - October and a no change fee for 2 years . Does this indicate this airline feels confident tourism will begin to pick up in July ? I donít know if this even influences waiting until early June or cancelling now dilemma. Just curious of your thoughts .
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It really is impossible to answer your questions. We are just guessing. Yes, it would be good if everything went back to normal, but it's hard to see that happening. I would expect things like reduced flights, quarantine, no real infrastructure to enjoy to be extended beyond their current deadlines. And if you are thinking about travelling overseas, consider whether you'll be insured for medical issues or cancellations (hint, you probably won't be.)
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Exclamation

The DOT granted United's exemption request under the CARES Act for its Hawaii service, so flights to OGG/LIH/KOA/ITO will be suspended until September 30, with retroactive effect to 4/25. Any non-HNL flights in the summer schedule (including the round-robins) will be dropped in the next update. Sad, but by no means a surprise.

See: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0037-0097

From the Order:

We find that granting United’s request for exemption as it concerns Hilo, Kona, Lihue, and Kahului, Hawaii, is warranted under the provisions of Order 2020-4-2, insofar as it would allow the air carrier to suspend service temporarily to these points from its Service Obligation. United’s service to these points requires the use of large aircraft with long flight times, and the imposition of Hawaii’s mandatory 14-day quarantine order for all travelers to or within Hawaii severely impacts passenger travel. Moreover, various Hawaiian State and local government officials have submitted filings in Docket DOT-OST-2020-0037 noting the existence of the 14-day quarantine period and the goal of minimizing the number of visitors to Hawaii until the current coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency has ended. Further, United will continue to provide scheduled service to Honolulu, Hawaii. In light of all of the above concerns, it would not be reasonable or practicable for United to serve Hilo, Kona, Lihue, and Kahului, Hawaii under the terms of Order 2020-4-2.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 27, 2020 at 9:28 am
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:42 am

Thank you. I guess this means we cancel our trip this summer. I'm assuming (or hopeful) United will give us back our 180,000 points from our 4 award flights without much of a hassle. So just to confirm... this statement you are providing means United will NOT fly to LIH (or the other airports you mentioned) until at least after September 30th?

Just curious why Hawaii'n is all the sudden trying to sell flights to there starting in July? Is it because customers will pay now and because of their 2-year allowed to change policy with these flights, they at least have some cash coming in now for flights even if they know there's a reasonably good chance flights to LIH won't happen in July?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
Thank you. I guess this means we cancel our trip this summer. I'm assuming (or hopeful) United will give us back our 180,000 points from our 4 award flights without much of a hassle. So just to confirm... this statement you are providing means United will NOT fly to LIH (or the other airports you mentioned) until at least after September 30th?

Just curious why Hawaii'n is all the sudden trying to sell flights to there starting in July? Is it because customers will pay now and because of their 2-year allowed to change policy with these flights, they at least have some cash coming in now for flights even if they know there's a reasonably good chance flights to LIH won't happen in July?
Maybe they found a crystal ball yesterday that told them to give it a go. Seriously, I suspect those flights will be cancelled in due course.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by coloradotraveler

I wouldn't make any changes to your ticket until the flight is actually removed from the schedule, which could happen during the week, or more likely next weekend. Then, a refund/redeposit should be straightforward.

Right now, advance bookings are virtually nil. United is focusing most of its attention on building schedules in May/June to minimize losses, and trying to predict (ha!) the demand environment for July and beyond. The schedules in the system now are what was filed pre-COVID and there has been such minimal sales activity that zeroing out flights beyond July is hardly a priority, at this point. As far as I can tell, the only exceptions to this have been the removal for sale of seasonally-withdrawn service, like flights to EU, and a blanket withholding of the deepest-discounted fare inventory.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, National Exec
I like your milk run idea!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.