Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by denver19
I just don't agree with this. I check the UAL schedule to Maui every day. It changes every day. Nonstop on/ nonstops off. Flights to OGG for SFO/ no flights to OGG. It changes daily. It is completely unreliable. And Gov Ige already said he is extending the quarantine past June 30: so those flights are, as you said, "at risk". If by "at risk" you mean they just won't go. United is hurting its credibility with this published Hawaii schedule. They should publish a few flights that are going to go, and quit posting flights that are just hopeful.
there hasn’t been a bookable June nonstop flight from OGG KOA LIH in a month
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I agree, I look almost daily. The one Delta flight in and out of OGG is it and I’m not sure that operates 7 days a week. Can’t speak to LIH or KOA.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
There are OGG/KOA LAX nonstops in a 739 that do pop up from time to time. A few times I've secured reward reservations on them just to see what happens but UA cancels them with no reroute options.
SPN Lifer and denver19 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
There are OGG/KOA LAX nonstops in a 739 that do pop up from time to time. A few times I've secured reward reservations on them just to see what happens but UA cancels them with no reroute options.
I've experienced the same thing. Once UA was allowed to discontinue all flights except the 1x per day SFO-HNL-SFO, the schedule has bounced around but the reality has not changed. Flights appear on the schedule and you book them. 24-72 hours later they disappear and you get funneled through HNL on the 1 flight that runs. Frankly, I do not see this changing before October 1 or whenever the Governor lifts the 14 day quarantine policy. He is EXTREMELY cautious and protective of the island population and is willing to suffer 40%+ unemployment vs. having an outbreak. With a few cases hitting the last several days, I do not see the quarantine bring lifted any time soon. As long is there is a quarantine in place, UA will not alter it's 1X per day approach via HNL, IMHO.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:41 pm

FYI, the Governor has officially extended the travel quarantine to July 31 so expect any UA flights to outer islands yanked from the schedule for July ASAP.
SPN Lifer and Welltended3 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:05 am

They definitely cut some flights last night but I still see a red eye to SFO from every island post July 5 Also a HNL-DEN remains on schedule in July.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
They definitely cut some flights last night but I still see a red eye to SFO from every island post July 5 Also a HNL-DEN remains on schedule in July.
Believe Kauai is still getting the shaft. No flight showing up to SFO in July.

HNL-LAX has been showing on the schedule as 1x daily on a 788 in the month of July. AA was doing this in April and May then down-gauged to an A321 so not sure if UA picked up a cargo contract but the 788 is definitely an improvement over no direct or one stop via SFO.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by slippahs
...HNL-LAX has been showing on the schedule as 1x daily on a 788 in the month of July. AA was doing this in April and May then down-gauged to an A321 so not sure if UA picked up a cargo contract but the 788 is definitely an improvement over no direct or one stop via SFO.
A neighbor of mine (HA A330 pilot) says consolidated flights have led to consolidated cargo at same time online buying has increased. Hopefully the HNL-LAX 788 sticks. Booked OGG-HNL-LAX-LAS r.t. for $436 in July and applied PP for redeye outbound. Probably good chance of getting it w/ quarantine on through then.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Was at OGG last night around 6:45 PM. My wife and kids were flying Delta back to DEN via LAX and SLC. I walked down to the UA check in area and it’s hard to digest and see it completely empty. Didn’t think to take a picture in the moment.

I don’t blame UA for not servicing anything other than HNL, as OGG was so empty it was scary. Nevertheless, I look forward to UA resuming service someday.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:47 pm

United hasn't pulled their flights to the outer islands that start on July 1. Are they really going to fly them or just cancel them at the last minute like they were doing in March?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
United hasn't pulled their flights to the outer islands that start on July 1. Are they really going to fly them or just cancel them at the last minute like they were doing in March?
As long as the governor is imposing a 14 day quarantine, UA isn't going to run more than the 1 HNL-SFO flight. The quarantine is good until at least 31 July so I expect those July flights will go away soon.
RNE likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 4:54 pm
RNE

Instead of flying, I'm going to drive to Hawaii. I figure if I get going fast enough when I reach the California coast, I'll skip across the ocean and make landfall at Hilo.
DELee likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Instead of flying, I'm going to drive to Hawaii. I figure if I get going fast enough when I reach the California coast, I'll skip across the ocean and make landfall at Hilo.
Are you driving the General Lee?
RNE likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:47 pm

I think there is a decent chance the red eyes stick from OGG and KOA (and the HNL red eye). They've had time to pick up cargo contracts by now. HA added PDX recently with SEA SFO and LAX. When the quarantine was extended they pulled the daytime flights off of the schedule for all the islands.

We will find out soon though
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just landed at Maui OGG about 4pm from HNL. Taxied right past Southwest, Delta, and American Airlines aircraft. No UA aircraft for months. United used to be the biggest carrier between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands. I really do think the United Hawaii will see eventually will never get back to the lift it had pre-pandemic. United might take this opportunity to downsize their operations here, maybe to the outer islands more on par with AA's level of lift. Last winter, it seemed to me UA's coach sections were carrying fewer customers than before and maybe it's because Southwest might make be making a splash with luggage-toting tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.