Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old May 24, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
AS will certainly be dropping the July Hawaii/KOA flights when they have better clarity when quarantine ends in Hawaii - next announcement is next week. So far, all we know it is extended past June 30
As of NOW, flights are available and at some pretty unreal pricing (low) so I jumped on them. UA actually had decent pricing but as I recall I think everything now goes through HNL, nothing direct into KOA YET. We all know that could change fast but I am locked into pretty good flights with AS and even if the quarantine is extended into August (God I hope not) I bought the tickets with funds already in my AS wallet from previous canceled flights into The Islands. I am hoping by mid to late July the quarantine is lifted but that another story and a different thread.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
As of NOW, flights are available and at some pretty unreal pricing (low) so I jumped on them. UA actually had decent pricing but as I recall I think everything now goes through HNL, nothing direct into KOA YET.
All the pre-Corona July flights exist for UA from July 4 onward - including all the nonstops to the various islands. Expect those (and other airlines) to go poof once there is better certainty on the quarantine date next week.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
All the pre-Corona July flights exist for UA from July 4 onward - including all the nonstops to the various islands. Expect those (and other airlines) to go poof once there is better certainty on the quarantine date next week.
Hopefully UA knows something that we don't and the quarantine will be lifted but somehow I doubt that :-). Interesting that you noted ALL nonstops, if the quarantine is indeed listed do they really expect a flood of people heading to The Islands all summer. I see an initial flood from people like myself that have to get over for business ASAP and a certain amount of backed up vacationers but I can't see filling all the flights throughout the summer given the current state of affairs.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by nomad420
Hopefully UA knows something that we don't and the quarantine will be lifted but somehow I doubt that :-). Interesting that you noted ALL nonstops, if the quarantine is indeed listed do they really expect a flood of people heading to The Islands all summer. I see an initial flood from people like myself that have to get over for business ASAP and a certain amount of backed up vacationers but I can't see filling all the flights throughout the summer given the current state of affairs.
Small sample size, but I have around 2 dozen friends and family that will book ASAP once the 14 day quarantine is lifted or rather shifted to some like Alaska is going to do. That also assumes UA gets their pricing back in line as well...
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Small sample size, but I have around 2 dozen friends and family that will book ASAP once the 14 day quarantine is lifted or rather shifted to some like Alaska is going to do. That also assumes UA gets their pricing back in line as well...
The UA pricing is in line with everyone post July 4. That is of course until the quarantine is extended and everyone pulls flights from the schedule.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
The UA pricing is in line with everyone post July 4. That is of course until the quarantine is extended and everyone pulls flights from the schedule.
Myself and the friends and family I mentioned have no desire to play Russian Roulette with UA or Hawaii at this time. Once Ige makes a decision and commits to it, I can begin to plan my future mainland flights to Colorado and back to Maui.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:09 pm

Agree, I did see competitive pricing with UA but even prior to the virus out break I had been shifting my business to AS. Pretty much the same pricing post July 4th, AS may even be a few dollar higher on certain flights. AS F seats are in general way less expensive than UA's fwiw.

Last edited by nomad420; Jun 3, 2020 at 1:11 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The Governor again said today he'd test out a travel bubble with places like New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and South Korea before letting in mainland tourists.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...estart-hawaii/

Again, if this were to happen, I wish UA would offer some kind of air service to support this "bubble". Would love to see HNL-SYD even if it was limited frequency.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Governor again said today he'd test out a travel bubble with places like New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and South Korea before letting in mainland tourists.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...estart-hawaii/

Again, if this were to happen, I wish UA would offer some kind of air service to support this "bubble". Would love to see HNL-SYD even if it was limited frequency.
A little funny that it would likely be less total travel time on UA OGG-HNL-SYD instead of OGG-HNL-SFO-DEN.😜 Never realized how I took for granted non stops between OGG and DEN.
Weatherboy, wrp96 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:28 am

Given 3 established airlines were already on the HNL-SYD route prior to Covid - I see no chance of this happening. (I also see no chance of a travel bubble)

UA clearly bailed on the Hawaii market (and I can't blame them) going from the dominant Hawaii-Mainland carrier to a single flight a day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
A little funny that it would likely be less total travel time on UA OGG-HNL-SYD instead of OGG-HNL-SFO-DEN.😜 Never realized how I took for granted non stops between OGG and DEN.
+100. Had to fly KOA-MCI for business on Saturday. The THREE stop flight, with connections in HNL, SFO, and IAH timed out at 20.5 hours!?!? I used to be able to get virtually anywhere in the world from KOA or MCI in that time. Took DL 2 stop that timed out at just under 13 hours.... over an 8 hour difference. I'm a UA zealot, but no way I take UA again to/ from KOA until after October 1 IF they resume reasonable service.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I'm a UA zealot, but no way I take UA again to/ from KOA until after October 1 IF they resume reasonable service.
Wonder if this service drop will permanently change the behaviors of elites in Hawaii. KOA has a significant GS population but now DL is the only game in town.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 4, 2020 at 2:46 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:24 pm

Wonder if this service drop will permanently change the behaviors of elites in Hawaii. KOA has a significant GS population but now DL is the only game in town.
That'll probably depend on the flight schedules post quarantine. I seriously doubt many Hawaii elites are currently flying to/from the Mainland given quarantine requirements.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:09 pm

Beyond October 1, UA doesn't need to inform anyone if they wish to permanently drop service to Hawaii, correct? The DOT notices/requests to dump service to the outerislands was just due to CARE act funding but once that goes away in September, UA doesn't need to say/do anything if they're going to keep ITO/LIH/KOA dropped, right?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:19 pm

Beyond October 1, UA doesn't need to inform anyone if they wish to permanently drop service to Hawaii, correct? The DOT notices/requests to dump service to the outerislands was just due to CARE act funding but once that goes away in September, UA doesn't need to say/do anything if they're going to keep ITO/LIH/KOA dropped, right?
Yes, that is correct. But if the quarantine is lifted - I expect UA will again become the dominant mainland carrier - although potentially less frequency - it will all depend on demand. I see no scenario post quarantine lifted - UA doesn't fly to all the islands.

If the quarantine is not lifted by Oct 1 - I suspect we see a lot less flying to the islands than we are seeing today

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.