Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Impacts of UA's reduced schedule on Hawaiian travelers (CARES exemption granted)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 24, 20, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 31, 20, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My wife and kids needed to be home around mid June. I kept watching both cash prices and award travel and it was frankly absurd what United wanted. What’s really odd is award travel would show OGG-HNL on Hawaiian, but cash wouldn’t. The above comment about the inter island portion being canceled was the final straw.

We just booked tickets for them on Delta; OGG-LAX-SLC-DEN. They don’t have status on UA so that didn’t matter, plus the total flight time is significantly shorter on Delta than UA.
Old May 31, 20, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
...I kept watching both cash prices and award travel and it was frankly absurd what United wanted. What’s really odd is award travel would show OGG-HNL on Hawaiian, but cash wouldn’t...
It seems UA is making little to no effort to make travel between Hawai’i outer islands and the mainland easy via UA. I’ve given up and am on HA for the time being. Looks like I qualify for Pualani Gold in June
COSPILOT, LAXOGG and denver19 like this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
And UA wonders why its reputation and bookings keep dropping. Especially in a market where they literally owned access from the mainland to the islands - and with a sizeable contingent of UA elites and loyalists.

<shakes head>

David
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:01 am

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
I was a Reservation Sales Representative at UA SFORR from 1985-87. Our training instructor used to refer to Hawaii as "our little corner of the world".
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
I was a Reservation Sales Representative at UA SFORR from 1985-87. Our training instructor used to refer to Hawaii as "our little corner of the world".
And many of us who travelled to/from the West Coast to the Islands still fondly remember that ownership and pride.

David
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
As someone who lives in the "corner of the world" I find that offensive
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
So, apparently, Governor Ige just announced that the quarantine will end June 16 for inter island travel. An announcement re the quarantine for Mainland travel will come next week. So, thats hapening. Its good in my opinion. In my opinion, inter island should have been "non quarantine" weeks ago...
Old Jun 1, 20, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denver19 View Post
So, apparently, Governor Ige just announced that the quarantine will end June 16 for inter island travel. An announcement re the quarantine for Mainland travel will come next week. So, thats hapening. Its good in my opinion. In my opinion, inter island should have been "non quarantine" weeks ago...
So this means 2H July travel from the mainland is likely to be realistic without limitations ?
Old Jun 2, 20, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
So this means 2H July travel from the mainland is likely to be realistic without limitations ?
I would say 50/50. The announcement may simply be a criteria that needs to be meant (test before fly test on arrival temperature checks etc). Keep expectations low and hope for the best.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
ZERO chance.

The governor has made it clear in press conferences and in meetings with state/county leadership that he has NO intention of lifting the quarantine from the mainland anytime soon. He has said numerous times, on camera and off, that it should not come as a surprise to anyone that the quarantine remain in effect deep into 2021 or beyond. And he reiterated that today.

In meetings today, he elaborated on his concept that a travel bubble could be extended to Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and perhaps South Korea, as a test before US mainlanders could come in without a quarantine. His latest timing has the interisland "test" run through mid July to see how it goes...and then beyond that point, consider testing the bubble concept (if it's even legal or plausible) which would be sometime in August or September. The Ige administration believes a second viral surge is coming to the mainland but if it didn't and things were simply flat with today, the quarantine wouldn't be lifted for U.S. Mainlander visitors until the fall, and that would be with a robust testing policy in place that hasn't even been dreamed of yet. Ige gets most of his guidance from Bruce Anderson of HI DOH and Anderson is super-conservative when it comes to relaxing any travel policy, including the interisland one that many have been pushing for.

I spoke with resort and restaurant managers on the Big Island today and talked to UA'ers in recent days. It saddens and pains them, but they're coming to the realization that 2020 isn't happening when it comes to mainland tourists. And with the economy in tatters and cities burning, I think they're right....even beyond the COVID pandemic.

Ige is also waiting to see how things evolve overseas too. If New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and the Maldives allow tourists in without restrictions, so will Hawaii. If any of those places have restrictions barring American mainlanders from visiting or making it difficult once they do get there, assume Hawaii will mirror their lead.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
And on a related note, if a "travel bubble" is created between Hawaii and Australia/New Zealand, I hope UA provides service. Would hate to see HA have a monopoly there too.

I'm sure UA has an extra 787 or two lying around they could deploy on HNL-SYD or HNL-AKL on a 1-3x/weekly basis.
Old Jun 2, 20, 7:37 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
ZERO chance.

The governor has made it clear in press conferences and in meetings with state/county leadership that he has NO intention of lifting the quarantine from the mainland anytime soon. He has said numerous times, on camera and off, that it should not come as a surprise to anyone that the quarantine remain in effect deep into 2021 or beyond. And he reiterated that today.
I guess we will know a little bit more next week, but I have been following the developments closely, and I cant recall Gov Ige ever saying that "it should not come as a surprise to anyone that the quarantine remain in effect deep into 2021". I do not think Hawaii can sustain financially under that event.
Old Jun 2, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
And on a related note, if a "travel bubble" is created between Hawaii and Australia/New Zealand, I hope UA provides service. Would hate to see HA have a monopoly there too.

I'm sure UA has an extra 787 or two lying around they could deploy on HNL-SYD or HNL-AKL on a 1-3x/weekly basis.
That ain't going to happen (the travel bubble or AKL/SYD-HNL on UA)

Adding the US, even if it's just HI to the travel bubble would be politically unpalatable on both sides of the Tasman.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 8:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Please use https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...n-tourism.html for general discussion of the Hawaii quarantine and/or state of Hawaii tourism / economy. Noting the status here is fine but discussion belongs in the Hawaii Forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Just booked AS into KOA
AS will certainly be dropping the July Hawaii/KOA flights when they have better clarity when quarantine ends in Hawaii - next announcement is next week. So far, all we know it is extended past June 30

Search this Thread
Search Engine: