Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Let the speculation begin, will UA extend the 31 May change fee waiver? ETCs option?

Let the speculation begin, will UA extend the 31 May change fee waiver? ETCs option?

Old May 22, 20, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, UA, Marriott, Hilton

I know it's totally speculation but any thoughts on what are the chances United's travel/change waivers get extended past May 30th?

I'm currently in Vietnam and have a return leg ticket back to the US for mid-July but am not 100% sure it is a good idea for us to visit then. We may want to push back the dates depending on the situation.
Old May 22, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I think we at least have another month, maybe two with waivers. Depends how much demand picks up in that time.
Old May 22, 20, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I think maybe once more month as well. Travel is ticking up now.
Old May 22, 20, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
At least another month, in that case I will book spring break travel for my family of 4, with a backup plan to travel in June 2021.
Old May 22, 20, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Another month is likely, I think. Beyond that, maybe not.

TSA has been publishing daily checkpoint data at US airports, and while number do not provide a full exactness of actual travelers, all indication point to a healthy uptick.

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

From the low number of 87,534 on April 14 to 318,449 just yesterday (May 21).

In seeing some crew YouTube videos, some airports are no longer ghost towns anymore, and are actually filled with passengers. A lot of promising stuff!
Old May 22, 20, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sure hope they say something soon.
Old May 22, 20, 8:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Sure hope they say something soon.
Last month the extension posted on the 29th, the 2nd to last day of the month. I would not expect any earlier this month. UA would prefer people to make a decision on an existing reservation to get a better idea of future traffic (and fewer waiting, hoping for grounds for a refund).
Old May 23, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
I expect the change fee waivers and ETC options to remain in place for the remainder of 2020. There's really no upside to United to ditch them anytime soon.
Old May 23, 20, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc View Post
I expect the change fee waivers and ETC options to remain in place for the remainder of 2020. There's really no upside to United to ditch them anytime soon.
I disagree. In good times, ancillary fees are a gigantic source of profit for UA. Furthermore, they have a decade's worth of revenue management tools built upon the assumption of punitive change fees. The current waivers are turning that on its head; it's virtually impossible for UA to tell the actual load on any given flight right now.

UA, and the other US carriers, will ditch these policies as soon as it's competitive to do so. Given that UA has said that demand seems to be turning a corner, that might well be as soon as the end of this month. They can always reinstate the waivers if it turns out to be necessary.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: