Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United making "fake flights" to take people's money

Old May 20, 20, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/trave...ines-cash-grab
It actually seems like a valid point. China allows 1 flight per week. The United flight is invariably going to be cancelled.
The only difference is in today's world United isn't actually refund people's money. So they get stuck (or if they refund after a few months it is an interest-free loan).

I think the government should step in, you don't have an obligation to sell a flight you will operate but if you do it maliciously that is illegal. And if you read the article there is too much evidence to say that United is unaware of what they are doing.
happychic likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Not only UA, DL/LH/OS/TK/ETC are all selling daily flight tickets to China in June. However everyone know it's not gonna happen at all under current 'five-one' policy.
Old May 20, 20, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I find that article nonsensical at best. It is mostly based on one person's experience & one anonymous flight attendant.

About 25 years ago I got upset with an agent because my upgrade had not cleared (60 days out!). He was put out with me & told me that I can buy a business seat if I want the guaranteed seat. Poor answer for customer service, but he was right.

It applies to Mr. Shuo. He can buy a refundable ticket. In my experience refundable tickets (I don't buy many) have been refunded & non-refundable tickets have not been refunded.

I am sympathetic to anyone wanting to repatriate but unable to do so. I am wanting to go to Vietnam in July, have a ticket & have no idea or guarantee that the borders will allow it on 6 July.

United cannot randomly decide "Hey, let's send a flight to Shangai tomorrow!" I don't think they are stupid enough to decide "Hey, let's schedule this flight so we can scam potential passengers."
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 6:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The article states
United’s website is selling tickets for the San Francisco-Shanghai route every day from May 29.
????

Not that I see. A few days in June with a connecting flight via EWR.

Old May 20, 20, 7:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The article states
????

Not that I see. A few days in June with a connecting flight via EWR.

this is exactly UA behavior described by the article.

UA is selling EWR PVG starting June 14. At this moment.

there is zero chance the flight will take off. China is not going to lift the ban.

I am pretty sure that UA 86/87 likely wonít even have crew assigned or on schedule. Yet UA is tricking people to buy these tickets. Very bad!
Old May 20, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
I am pretty sure that UA 86/87 likely wonít even have crew assigned or on schedule. Yet UA is tricking people to buy these tickets. Very bad!
I checked the flight on the 14th. Full crew of pilots and F/As are assigned. I even know one of the F/Os.
jsloan, cur, MatthewLAX and 12 others like this.
Old May 20, 20, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
there is zero chance the flight will take off. China is not going to lift the ban.
I couldn't find anything to support the statement China will not lift the ban sometime in June. What is the source of that statement?
cur, cre95, writerguyfl and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 20, 7:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
I checked the flight on the 14th. Full crew of pilots and F/As are assigned. I even know one of the F/Os.
ok Iíll give you that.

But there is zero chance the flight will run on June 14 to shanghai.

I can bet $10K on this.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I couldn't find anything to support the statement China will not lift the ban sometime in June. What is the source of that statement?
Source from Chinese media says that the Five One policy will not be canceled until October.
Old May 20, 20, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Source from Chinese media
Chinese media? Seriously?
cur, clubord, AndyInSaigon and 3 others like this.
Old May 20, 20, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I have no idea what the probability of the flight operating will be. All I know is that United wants to operate the flight and they are actively working with both governments to resume service.
NoLaGent and ajGoes like this.
Old May 20, 20, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
I have no idea what the probability of the flight operating will be. All I know is that United wants to operate the flight and they are actively working with both governments to resume service.
And if it doesnít pan out they still keep the cash. Thread topic is very valid. Kirby ethics on full display.
milski and happychic like this.
Old May 20, 20, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
ok Iíll give you that.

I can bet $10K on this.

Source from Chinese media says that the Five One policy will not be canceled until October.
Respectfully, you can bet $10K on the flight being cancelled and you very well may be correct.

However you have to recognize by staffing this flight with the full compliment of Pilots and F/As, United is betting 6 to 8 times more than your $10K that this flight will go just in crewmember costs alone.
Old May 20, 20, 8:45 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
And if it doesn’t pan out they still keep the cash. Thread topic is very valid. Kirby ethics on full display.
I think if it doesn't pan out everyone who bought a ticket will not be going. And while I know that there is some issues with them saying cancel is really only a schedule change that some people are getting as answers, if it one flight to China and the flight cannot go - they cannot keep the money. Thread topic is not valid.

That being said - I am not really sure how they can start up service to China with out it being a cluster.... (Same for other carriers.) Do you expect that they only sell tickets a few hours before departure?
Old May 20, 20, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
I think if it doesn't pan out everyone who bought a ticket will not be going. And while I know that there is some issues with them saying cancel is really only a schedule change that some people are getting as answers, if it one flight to China and the flight cannot go - they cannot keep the money. Thread topic is not valid.

That being said - I am not really sure how they can start up service to China with out it being a cluster.... (Same for other carriers.) Do you expect that they only sell tickets a few hours before departure?
Unless things have just changed recently, airlines have been keeping people's money. LH even stated this in writing, that they will not give a refund.
Old May 20, 20, 9:58 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Unless things have just changed recently, airlines have been keeping people's money. LH even stated this in writing, that they will not give a refund.
I know I have read some things about the EU rulings, but as I am based in the US my take is based on US originating travel. Pretty sure in the US it is not permissible to be "keeping people's money" on a cancelled flight. And I think the US DOT has pretty much said the same. I think the DOT also have chimed in that the change to the refund policy for schedule changes (25 hours?) for previously issued tickets.

This thread IMHO brings up a good point that UA is most likely doing a huge disservice selling tickets on flights that most likely won't happen, but the hyperbole about doing it in order to keep people's money really takes away from the legitimacy of the thread. And calling it out as illegal is just ranting.

Last edited by fwfdan; May 20, 20 at 10:06 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: