Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NFL Player suing UA for alleged sexual assault & harassment on flight (by another pax

NFL Player suing UA for alleged sexual assault & harassment on flight (by another pax

Old May 20, 20, 10:20 am
Original Poster

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/05/...mpression=true

Not the kind of PR UAL needs in a time like this
Old May 20, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UAL757222 View Post
https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/05/...mpression=true

Not the kind of PR UAL needs in a time like this
Not to downplay the alleged incident, but stories like this are somewhat common in the industry and rarely move the needle on public perception, especially given that the NFL player is, for now, anonymous. A higher-profile star player might garner some more bandwidth. From the perspective of the general population, this is little more than a fleeting curiosity. Social media attention on full flights is the current PR 'third rail' for airlines.
Old May 20, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Not downplaying the situation, but it sounds like a passenger vs. passenger incident. Obviously the only one with any money in the situation is UA (at least back in February), so that is who ends up getting sued. Typical.
trooper and doc4science like this.
Old May 20, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Yes, I'm sure the goal of the lawsuit is to "shine a light on how assaults can, and are, being made on men, and not just women." And not at all to cash in.

Oh wait, till the next paragraph.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta PM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Not to downplay the alleged incident, but stories like this are somewhat common in the industry and rarely move the needle on public perception, especially given that the NFL player is, for now, anonymous. A higher-profile star player might garner some more bandwidth. From the perspective of the general population, this is little more than a fleeting curiosity. Social media attention on full flights is the current PR 'third rail' for airlines.
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr View Post
Not downplaying the situation, but it sounds like a passenger vs. passenger incident. Obviously the only one with any money in the situation is UA (at least back in February), so that is who ends up getting sued. Typical.
Did you even read the story? There were TWO NFL players who were "allegedly" assaulted by this woman. This is not a passenger vs. passenger incident it's passenger vs. passengerS incident

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ulted-n1211336
Old May 20, 20, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Make sure she's charged in the right state!!!
Old May 20, 20, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Wearing a face mask on Feb 10 redeye before Covid was no more than a small blip on the news in the US. Yep. I think there's lots of credibility to the story. Unless this guy was part of the .0000001345% of travelers that wore a mask back then which I doubt. ...And the suit comes after UA declined (as they should have) to identify the pax or FAs. Garbage.
Old May 20, 20, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Wearing a face mask on Feb 10 redeye before Covid was no more than a small blip on the news in the US. Yep. I think there's lots of credibility to the story. Unless this guy was part of the .0000001345% of travelers that wore a mask back then which I doubt. ...And the suit comes after UA declined (as they should have) to identify the pax or FAs. Garbage.
Not sure I follow your post - are you saying the players are lying and this didn't happen at all? Or it's OK for a woman to sexually assault a man in public because it's no big deal? Or someone with a mask wasn't there?

A court order will compel UA to disclose the names of any witnesses, although the players should have solicited some names on their own before deplaning, I am sure a few nearby people would have spoken up.

Either way, the hits keep on coming, Kirby style - trade sexual assault for a $150 voucher
Old May 20, 20, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Some people were wearing masks in airports and on airplanes in January and February, so that portion of the story is not unreasonable
username, VonS, onthesam and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 20, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find it interesting that one of the football player's complaints is that the FAs didn't require the woman to move, yet when women report instances of sexual assault or severe sexual harassment by men on flights, it's typically the female victim rather than the male alleged perpetrator who is asked to move. What were the seat assignments here?
Old May 20, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta PM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I find it interesting that one of the football player's complaints is that the FAs didn't require the woman to move, yet when women report instances of sexual assault or severe sexual harassment by men on flights, it's typically the female victim rather than the male alleged perpetrator who is asked to move. What were the seat assignments here?
Who knows what the rest of the flight looked like but from the NBC article.

"According to the lawsuit, the woman was in the window seat in the same row as the two men."
Old May 20, 20, 6:37 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
I was wearing masks in January on airplanes.Was in Hong Kong in December and that a new SARS disease was in Wuhan was well known. Wore one the day after Wuhan lock-down on a trip to Seattle for the first time, but carried one from the point of our flight back from HKG on January 1, and was watching for people who looked sick/were coughing.

I was predicting back in February due to the government's failure to respond that Covid-19 would take down the airlines and the us economy.

And that he is coming from California which was/is more informed on these issues than many places, does not surprise me at all.
ARR72 likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 6:47 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
Yes, I'm sure the goal of the lawsuit is to "shine a light on how assaults can, and are, being made on men, and not just women." And not at all to cash in.

Oh wait, till the next paragraph.
"Institutional Betrayal". Wow. You'd think they operated a cargo flight between North Korea and Iran.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4623...een&from_embed
Old May 20, 20, 7:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
"Institutional Betrayal". Wow. You'd think they operated a cargo flight between North Korea and Iran.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4623...een&from_embed
This jumps out at me:

"UNITED failed to cooperate and assist PLAINTIFFS, through their counsel, with evidence concerning the assault, including, but not limited to, refusing to provide PLAINTIFFS with the identities of their assailant, the flight attendants, and potential witnesses"

To translate, the players asked UA to identify the women who assulted them, and United refused, and refused to provide the FAs names. While it may be ok to not give the names of other passengers, this really does not look good. Some low grade third rate lawyer said don't provide, and just made UA's situation worse. This kind of thing looks really bad, and the players will get all of this information, and more, but UA is facing a lawsuit to get it.
scoonee and VonS like this.
Old May 20, 20, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KenTarmac View Post
Who knows what the rest of the flight looked like but from the NBC article.

"According to the lawsuit, the woman was in the window seat in the same row as the two men."
If she was in the window seat and there was some big pro football player in the middle seat, how did she manage to assault the guy in the aisle seat? Also, why didn't they just escape and change seats since they were seated between the alleged assailant and the aisle? Maybe they just wanted to get the row to themselves. I feel sorry for the woman in that she would have little space if she were in a window (coach presumably) seat with two big pro football players sitting next to her. Encroachment? It seems odd that two pro football players would travel together in coach; they're big enough and can afford to buy FC seats, which would be much more comfortable for everyone than putting those wide shoulders into two side by side narrow coach seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: