Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculously uncompetitive airfares?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting to me is the difference in price for booking a partner flight on United vs directly through the partner. I booked two business-class tickets AKL-HNL for November through Air New Zealand for about $1450 apiece. The same flight booked on united.com is $3637 apiece - more than double the price. Is this common?
Old May 20, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think UA is happy to be competitive in future to get revenue now, while screwing over (even more so than usual) those who need to make reservations for flights in the nearer term and want to cling to UA for whatever reason.
Specific to Hawaii flights - I'm not sure what UA can do in the short term. They've consolidated passenger from 4-5 flights at HNL into a single red eye and presumably moved the outer island flights into connections with HA onto that single flight. Ultimately, practically none of those passengers will really take that flight but people aren't proactively cancelling/rescheduling (perhaps hoping for a quarantine lift) - but what if people did take that flight but were selling seats anyway - then you'd be looking into massive overbooking payouts.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Rates seem higher now than before

I was looking at June rates for flying rt PDX/SFO in Z and the fares seem to be significantly higher now than they were pre-pandemic. And to make matters worse, no longer are flights on the A320/321. Seems crazy for charging more than $800 for a Z fare on this route.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Interesting to me is the difference in price for booking a partner flight on United vs directly through the partner. I booked two business-class tickets AKL-HNL for November through Air New Zealand for about $1450 apiece. The same flight booked on united.com is $3637 apiece - more than double the price. Is this common?
Yes. UA may not have access to all the same fares and inventory that NZ does.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ekwang
I was looking at June rates for flying rt PDX/SFO in Z and the fares seem to be significantly higher now than they were pre-pandemic. And to make matters worse, no longer are flights on the A320/321. Seems crazy for charging more than $800 for a Z fare on this route.
Another example of some crazy pricing for sure and this is a flight I typically take with UA but per others I'll be using Kayak and fly any other alternative that works. I had a similar experience with pricing a SFO - CLE flight.
ekwang likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ekwang
Z fares are differential priced based on the underlying Y inventory. When you see uncompetitive UA fares right now, it's typically because they're only selling expensive inventory due to not enough capacity on that particular flight. Very common out of SFO right now. (Though you can certainly find empty flights, too.)
Old May 20, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
All middle seats are blocked, yes. They may be assigned by the computer or at the gate, but they will show as occupied on that seatmap due to the block.
So, it turned-out that there were only 5 waitlisted pax and the middles were mostly open. F had 2 open seats. Masks were worn upon boarding but almost invariably came down sometime during the flight. People are definitely dropping their guard after an hour or so of flight time. I kept my mask on the whole flight because I am flying so much lately that I am trying to minimize my possible exposure, but there were only a few of us on the flight who remained masked-up the whole flight.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, I just booked $428 r.t. OGG-LAS for September. I think UA is happy to be competitive in future to get revenue now, while screwing over (even more so than usual) those who need to make reservations for flights in the nearer term and want to cling to UA for whatever reason.

I think the answer is to Kayak or WN.com or whatever for booking near-term travel....
Yeah there is no reason to pay an extra $600 for whatever benefits with United, esp. when I get a full year to re-qualify in 2021. What am I going to get, an upgrade to F with no F service?

I'd consider status matching to AA permanently but I still have a strong preference for the UA network and *A.
nomad420 likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
So, it turned-out that there were only 5 waitlisted pax and the middles were mostly open. F had 2 open seats. Masks were worn upon boarding but almost invariably came down sometime during the flight. People are definitely dropping their guard after an hour or so of flight time. I kept my mask on the whole flight because I am flying so much lately that I am trying to minimize my possible exposure, but there were only a few of us on the flight who remained masked-up the whole flight.
Have yet to do it but I can only imagine that on a TCON or international flight it would be difficult to stay masked all the time. I've got some long flights coming up and not looking forward to that.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I still don't understand what UA is doing.

Roundtrips, on a certain pairs of dates mid-late June:
LAX-LAS: DL $186 n.s., UA $1444 via SFO.
Houston-LAS: AA $306 via DFW, WN $198 n.s. out of HOU, UA $872 n.s.

UA just doesn't want passengers who look at (and will take) options....
Old May 27, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I still don't understand why people look at a particular flight pair and assume that a VP at United sat down and said "yup, we want to charge $1,444 for all our LAX-LAS pax... that's our new quarterly plan". LAX-SFO-LAS sounds like close to full Y.

Anything that's pricing that high is because there is probably a single-digit number of seats left for sale (or an inventory block to focus on SFO-LAX and SFO-LAS) and, while they are happy to sell a LAX-LAS ticket for just $106, they don't necessarily want to overbook their flights for such a paltry sum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MM
I still don't understand why people look at a particular flight pair and assume that a VP at United sat down and said "yup, we want to charge $1,444 for all our LAX-LAS pax... that's our new quarterly plan". LAX-SFO-LAS sounds like close to full Y.

Anything that's pricing that high is because there is probably a single-digit number of seats left for sale (or an inventory block to focus on SFO-LAX and SFO-LAS) and, while they are happy to sell a LAX-LAS ticket for just $106, they don't necessarily want to overbook their flights for such a paltry sum.
I understand that argument but when has LAX-LAS ever cost $1444? And if they are running out of seats, it's only because they've chosen to put a tiny number of seats into the air right now. Pricing like this can only help cement that approach.
sscott77 likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I understand that argument but when has LAX-LAS ever cost $1444? And if they are running out of seats, it's only because they've chosen to put a tiny number of seats into the air right now. Pricing like this can only help cement that approach.
I think a better question is when has LAX-SFO or SFO-LAS ever cost $361 (one-way)? The answer is not particularly often, but I'm sure someone has paid that before. And equivalently for selling those segments for hub flow over SFO to other destinations. What's the opportunity cost for someone who can no longer fly LAX-SFO-Asia because there are no LAX-SFO seats, especially in terms of customer loss versus dollars on that flight? Given that UA doesn't even fly LAX-LAS right now, I can't imagine they even care how much they charge for it; if someone decides to spend all day connecting in SFO that's just a random fluke.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM
I think a better question is when has LAX-SFO or SFO-LAS ever cost $361 (one-way)? The answer is not particularly often, but I'm sure someone has paid that before. And equivalently for selling those segments for hub flow over SFO to other destinations. What's the opportunity cost for someone who can no longer fly LAX-SFO-Asia because there are no LAX-SFO seats, especially in terms of customer loss versus dollars on that flight? Given that UA doesn't even fly LAX-LAS right now, I can't imagine they even care how much they charge for it; if someone decides to spend all day connecting in SFO that's just a random fluke.
Using up LAX-SFO seats has never been an issue otherwise they would have always charged $1444 for that route, too. Besides, when an airline has just about all of their assets parked on some tarmac, a lack of seats shouldn't be remotely any kind of a problem.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Either way, UA's current pricing sucks.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.