Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculously uncompetitive airfares?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
This is quite the pickle.Legacy carriers played in the Basic Economy airfare and now we have this situation. The LCC price based on need to fill seats while the big airlines pretty much are charging nearly Y fares to avoid flying every play at a lost. On some future travel I've booked Spirit and Frontier which even if I purchased a premium product would still be cheaper vs. UA lowest cost fare for similar route.
I'm guessing the bailout doesn't factor into this as DOT stated must service the routes but not economically. Without basis - is it possible UA doesn't care to fill seats or win passengers back due to the government lifeline for a few months?
Old May 19, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I don't blame them at all for not matching $54, but $350 for the same route at a comparable time? I'd definitely choose UA up to $180 or so, but $350 is hard to justify.
fair enough, but even at $54 I wouldn’t fly Frontier. Maybe if they paid me $54 I might be willing to grin and bear it.

Originally Posted by SS255
I don't mind paying more if I could be guaranteed that the middle seat would stay open. I understand that it costs more for UA to keep customers and employees socially-distanced and safe, and those costs must be offset by charging higher fares. But I resent paying higher fares and UA does not make any reasonable effort to keep us safe.
hate to break it to you, but no one is really keeping social distance on an airplane.

Keeping the middle seat open does mean soemone isn’t right next to you, sure, and I suppose it’s good for optics. But for the mandated 6 feet of social distancing, on a mainline narrow body plane, it would mean only allowing people to be seated in the window seats in every 3rd row. There’s no financial model for an airline that would work if they could sell that as their max load.
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
hate to break it to you, but no one is really keeping social distance on an airplane.

Keeping the middle seat open does mean soemone isn’t right next to you, sure, and I suppose it’s good for optics. But for the mandated 6 feet of social distancing, on a mainline narrow body plane, it would mean only allowing people to be seated in the window seats in every 3rd row. There’s no financial model for an airline that would work if they could sell that as their max load.
Which is why they are requiring masks, which should help with transmission by air. Keeping the middle seat empty helps with transmission by touch.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
United was agressive (as it should have been) for its May schedule, but they’ve cut too far for June. I’ve been looking at booking something these past couple weeks but everything I’ve searched (out of EWR) is booked out and insanely expensive. Will probably end up booking on B6 instead.
I agree that the May and June prices are ridiculous, but the TCON prices in August are very enticing.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
I agree that the May and June prices are ridiculous, but the TCON prices in August are very enticing.
Yeah, I just booked $428 r.t. OGG-LAS for September. I think UA is happy to be competitive in future to get revenue now, while screwing over (even more so than usual) those who need to make reservations for flights in the nearer term and want to cling to UA for whatever reason.

I think the answer is to Kayak or WN.com or whatever for booking near-term travel....
Old May 20, 2020, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
If AA is offering you a fare that you like, and you're comfortable with their schedule change policy, by all means, book them. (Theirs is 4 hours for a refund, as opposed to UA's 6).
I think AA's is more like 60 or 90 mins. I had a flight booked on them and my schedule changed by a hair under 2h (I think it was like 1h57m), and was just successfully refunded.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, I just booked $428 r.t. OGG-LAS for September. I think UA is happy to be competitive in future to get revenue now, while screwing over (even more so than usual) those who need to make reservations for flights in the nearer term and want to cling to UA for whatever reason.

I think the answer is to Kayak or WN.com or whatever for booking near-term travel....
I don’t think UA is purposely trying to drive prices way up for June. I think they just way overdowngauged (expecting June demand to turn out more like May demand), and thought a lot of people would cancel their flights. However, it seems as though people just aren’t cancelling their June plans (quarantine fatigue?) and so everything is nearly fully booked out and only has really high fare classes.

UA is now saying they will re-upgauge many of the flights, but if it’s done last minute that’s not going to really help with fares / people looking to buy new tickets for June. It should help a bit with social distancing though.

Last edited by UAflyer93; May 20, 2020 at 7:58 am
Old May 20, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
fair enough, but even at $54 I wouldn’t fly Frontier. Maybe if they paid me $54 I might be willing to grin and bear it.
Truth! They are on my list of most loathsome airlines. I can tolerate WN.

And you are right, in reality, there is no way middles are being preserved open. Here is the seat map of my flight to SFO today, which I know is not accurate. I was UG'd at T-24. I expect standbys et al will fill the remaining seats if my experiences last week are any indication:

Last edited by zombietooth; May 20, 2020 at 8:08 am
Old May 20, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Truth! They are on my list of most loathsome airlines. I can tolerate WN.

And you are right, in reality, there is no way middles are being preserved open. Here is the seat map of my flight to SFO today, which I know is not accurate. I was UG'd at T-24. I expect standbys et al will fill the remaining seats if my experiences last week are any indication:

Maybe those middle seat all being occupied really means they are all blocked (for now)?
Old May 20, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
delete

Last edited by narvik; May 20, 2020 at 8:49 am
Old May 20, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Maybe those middle seat all being occupied really means they are all blocked (for now)?
All middle seats are blocked, yes. They may be assigned by the computer or at the gate, but they will show as occupied on that seatmap due to the block.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear96
I think AA's is more like 60 or 90 mins. I had a flight booked on them and my schedule changed by a hair under 2h (I think it was like 1h57m), and was just successfully refunded.
For new purchases (since early April, IIRC), AA has changed the threshold to 4 hours. (I say this as someone with a 3 hour, 52 minute schedule change pending on an outstanding ticket).
Old May 20, 2020, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Delta just announced yesterday it is adding roughly 100 more daily flights in June versus May, including service out of its Atlanta hub and New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to Florida.

Perhaps UA should look at its current loads and advance bookings to see how it should adjust accordingly.
Another example of how DL is just so much better managed than UA in pretty much every possible way.

The weekly emails from Bastian (received another yesterday) are simply excellent. They are really getting ahead of the customer confidence issues and building for the long term. Unlike UA, which as usual grabs the negative news lead, this time with tweets about a packed 738 from EWR.
Originally Posted by halls120
Switch carriers. AA and DL are selling premium t-con lie flats for under a grand RT. I just picked up LAX-JFK RT on AA for $538 via Amex Travel.
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I can tolerate WN.
I'm now flying WN and AS short-haul, as both are limiting seat sales (and "pick your seat" on WN is suddenly much more attractive).

I've been upgraded into full F cabins on both AA and UA recently, and would rather be in a less densely packed Y cabin for sub 2 hour flights.

Last edited by Kacee; May 20, 2020 at 8:55 am
Old May 20, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm now flying WN and AS short-haul, as both are limiting seat sales (and "pick your seat" on WN is suddenly much more attractive).

I've been upgraded into full F cabins on both AA and UA recently, and would rather be in a less densely packed Y cabin for sub 2 hour flights.
Was supposedly heading to CLE on Friday but crazy pricing from UA on the flights that would work for me. Continuing to use AS on West Coast flights and booking with them back to KOA mid July (hopefully). Looking more and more at WN but hard to do long hauls with them as you noted. Having said that I was looking at SFO-DEN-ORD-CLE with UA and with crazy pricing so WN not really any worse at all. The direct west coast flights into CLE for now are no longer operating.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
For new purchases (since early April, IIRC), AA has changed the threshold to 4 hours. (I say this as someone with a 3 hour, 52 minute schedule change pending on an outstanding ticket).
Could be, I was refunded a trip for June that was booked in March.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Another example of how DL is just so much better managed than UA in pretty much every possible way.
Some of the moaners on the DL board would disagree with you.

Also the posters complaining about UA accepting bookings for flights they know won't be operating or that they would later just have to cancel because of low loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.