Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (Express) Letting Anyone Sit in E+?

Old May 14, 20, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

This blog post heavily implies that pax were allowed to spread out into E+ seats for free on a regional SFO-PDX flight. Is this really UA's policy or a just a rogue crew? I get "desperate times, desperate measures" but come on. Whatever happened to revenue protection???

the flight attendants said folks could move around and grab empty seats. It’s unclear why this couldn’t happen sooner. Passengers quickly but cautiously moved. But there simply weren’t enough rows for everyone to have their own or any empty rows between us.
Old May 14, 20, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Seems like a FA taking some a social distancing initiative.

If so, seems a reasonable thing to do.
Old May 14, 20, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
....Whatever happened to revenue protection???
I doubt there’s much revenue to protect on E+ sales SFO-PDX. It would hard for me to be annoyed in these circumstances.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 15, 20, 12:11 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I doubt there’s much revenue to protect on E+ sales SFO-PDX. It would hard for me to be annoyed in these circumstances.
E+ revenue should be the last of there concerns now. My wife and kids are coming and I won’t be shocked if they get E+ for free. Different times. Who cares at this point?
Old May 15, 20, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Not really fair to people who paid for E+ (perhaps because they wanted to try to distance). If UA really doesn't care about the revenue, they should stop charging for it or refund. Now for all I know, on that flight, they sold zero E+ so in that case it didnt matter. However, I doubt that is something they check before making the decision to move people.
sexykitten7 and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old May 15, 20, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh. Age old debate which was not important pre-Covid and less so today.

If you wish to be assured of E+ seating on a micro-hop, then book and pay for it (if you are not entitled to freebie seat assignment). If you are willing to take your chances that some random FA won't take pity or that the flight is so empty that it won't matter, then don't pay for it and take your chances.
Old May 15, 20, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
In the past at least, E+ had to justify itself with its own revenue. If it doesnt matter anymore these days, maybe UA will just get rid of E+ entirely and change it back to all E-.
Old May 15, 20, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Not really fair to people
Is anything fair nowadays?
Old May 15, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
In the past at least, E+ had to justify itself with its own revenue. If it doesnt matter anymore these days, maybe UA will just get rid of E+ entirely and change it back to all E-.
Oh, No. The FTers won’t fly United if this change happens.
Old May 15, 20, 1:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Hate to say it but most of us aren't flying UA now anyways.

David
Old May 15, 20, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Now for all I know, on that flight, they sold zero E+ so in that case it didnt matter..
what about all the elites who think they’re entitled to a less crowded cabin around them 😀.

maybe, but not sure what good that would do. Not only would E+ not have to be worth the revenue it makes (or not, so to speak), the effort and cost of putting in more E- seats would have to be worth it. In the environment we have today, where planes are what, mostly 10 or 20% full, what’s the point? Putting back an extra couple of rows of seats that they aren’t going to be able to sell doesn’t make sense at all.

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
unless, of course, they are in a place where United is the most convenient. Then they’d complain, but still fly UA anyway. Basically the same situation we have with other features (sure, folks complain about ‘dark’ domestic planes, but how many $ do you think UA has forgone from people who actually have flown other carriers because UA doesn’t have a screen staring at them from the seat in front?).
Old May 19, 20, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it doesnt matter anymore these days, maybe UA will just get rid of E+ entirely and change it back to all E-.
It takes quite a while to retrofit all of their airplanes, and "these days" may not be around long enough to make that worthwhile.

For now, the only possibility is that they stop charging extra for E+ (or, more likely, stop charging less for E- ).
Old May 19, 20, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
This thread should have been concluded with Post #2 with the wise words of the moderator.

Let’s be sensitive, flexible and exercise common sense once awhile instead of being critical, especially during this time.
Old May 19, 20, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
This thread should have been concluded with Post #2 with the wise words of the moderator.

Let’s be sensitive, flexible and exercise common sense once awhile instead of being critical, especially during this time.
Forums such as this one only work if people are allowed to express their opinions.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 20 at 10:30 pm Reason: Discuss the issue; not the poster(s)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: