FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Whatís going on July 4 weekend? lack of bookable flight options pre-4th (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2017422-what-s-going-july-4-weekend-lack-bookable-flight-options-pre-4th.html)

CALIF65GM May 9, 20 9:01 pm

I noticed this last weekend and again starting yesterday/today for LAS-SFO on 7/5.

No res were accepted; even though the schedule showed 6 or 7-flights that day. During the week, a couple of flights became available and now the entire schedule is down to only 2-flights for the 5th. As I need to need to be back by a specific time, I'm almost tempted to book on Alaska too and see which flight actually runs, but I don't want more credits as I already have credit with UA and SW.

fumje May 9, 20 9:06 pm

I think they've just (yesterday evening) gone through and consolidated a whole bunch of flights in the June and July time frame. The result is that many flights are functionally full or probably even overbooked. I expect they are predicting many will still cancel or change reservations over the next few weeks.

LAXtoCHI May 9, 20 9:36 pm

Is it possible the schedule change isnít fully loaded yet?

My LAX-MSN on July 1 now shows as rebooked LAX-ORD (redeye) - MSN, but if I search for flights myself there are zero flights scheduled LAX to ORD on UA for July 1. Which seems implausible, even in the COVID context.

Iím looking to rebook via DEN, so am hoping a few more options may appear soon if the schedule change isnít fully loaded yet?

zombietooth May 9, 20 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32362372)
Could a lot of people be holding speculative leisure bookings for the long holiday weekend in the USA?

I am.

jsloan May 9, 20 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by LAXtoCHI (Post 32362643)
Is it possible the schedule change isnít fully loaded yet?

Not in the way you're suggesting, no. If anything, they might remove more flights.

My LAX-MSN on July 1 now shows as rebooked LAX-ORD (redeye) - MSN, but if I search for flights myself there are zero flights scheduled LAX to ORD on UA for July 1. Which seems implausible, even in the COVID context.

And, it is implausible. There are two LAX-ORD flights on 7/1; 12:45 AM and 10:30 AM. Both are showing zero availability, but the 10:30 AM flight has quite a few seats available / blocked on the seat map. One reason could be that the seat reassignment procedure didn't work as well on that flight, and there are more confirmed passengers without seat assignments.

Iím looking to rebook via DEN, so am hoping a few more options may appear soon if the schedule change isnít fully loaded yet?

I see one sensible itinerary on 7/1, and it's currently available (J1 Y1): The 2:09 PM departure from LAX via DEN; it gives you a one hour connection in DEN.

Markie May 10, 20 6:37 am

American has a similar profile of flights - clearly lots of people plan to be travelling that weekend.

aero219 May 10, 20 7:25 am

In my opinion this is more complex than extreme loads/demands on consolidated flights. There must be some method to the madness.

For example, an itinerary of mine in late June was updated last night. Previously (up to a few weeks ago) there were 20something flight options to choose from - every one of them completely empty. Last night with the new schedule, even though I've been re-ticketed on the reduced schedule, all inventory is zero'd out except J1 Y1 on the remaining operating flight. More interesting is that 3 of the 4 flights are completely empty and I retained my seat assignment - but the fourth flight swapped aircraft types (CR7 to E175 - essentially no change in total seats), and I was not assigned a seat -- nor can I select one because the entire seat map is blocked. i.e. more than ever, seat map availability bares no correlation at all to fare Inventory.

I'm sure there is a method to the madness...

mahasamatman May 10, 20 7:33 am

It's a typical weekend at United. Never trust anything you see on united.com on a weekend.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 10, 20 8:58 am

Looking at Houston to Las Vegas - $401 is consistently available (non-BE) through month of June on the one non-stop scheduled. Nothing bookable in/around July 4th and then $233 consistently available (non-BE) on 6 non-stops showing through rest of July. Looks like UA is providing "discount" on flight schedules that will obviously (IMHO) change :)

united 1k flyer May 10, 20 12:01 pm

Iím on a Chicago to London flight in late July and they took the route down from 3 767s to 1 767. When I figured out I couldnít select a seat so I called. They are overbooked in business class by 8 seats. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING. Economy is apparently WAY overbooked also. I get why their doing this but at least put enough planes on a route so you donít have to deny boarding to people.

AirbusFan2B May 10, 20 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 32364053)
Iím on a Chicago to London flight in late July and they took the route down from 3 767s to 1 767. When I figured out I couldnít select a seat so I called. They are overbooked in business class by 8 seats. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING. Economy is apparently WAY overbooked also. I get why their doing this but at least put enough planes on a route so you donít have to deny boarding to people.

They can always rebook you to the RJ from ORD to LGA with an overnight stay in NYC and then a cab ride out to EWR to catch the LHR from there. :-)

villox May 10, 20 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 32364107)
They can always rebook you to the RJ from ORD to LGA with an overnight stay in NYC and then a cab ride out to EWR to catch the LHR from there. :-)

no refunds!

jsloan May 10, 20 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 32364053)
I get why their doing this but at least put enough planes on a route so you donít have to deny boarding to people.

UA is trying to forecast how many passengers they'll actually have, which is likely quite different from the number of tickets they've sold for any given flight. With two-plus months before your flight, there's plenty of time for them to add another flight if it turns out to be necessary. I suspect you'll find that seats start to open on the seat map as people cancel their plans.

aaronc84 May 10, 20 3:24 pm

This is all kinda crazy. I'm sure they have a good financial reason for handling it all like this, but I'd imagine it's deterring some travel as well. I'm looking to spend a month or two in Seattle with my partner (who is in school there), and I only get ONE route and time for PIT-SEA via ORD on June 17. On top of that, all the seat maps are pretty full, which doesn't sound very safe. I really want to get out there and see him but I'm not sure riding on a full plane is worth it right now. Might wait to see if they adjust again? Or do y'all think what's posted is really what June is going to look like?

jsloan May 10, 20 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by aaronc84 (Post 32364514)
Or do y'all think what's posted is really what June is going to look like?

There is very little chance that they will add more flights to the schedule; however, it's possible that seats will open up on flights that currently aren't appearing because they're full.

But, yes, this is really what June is going to look like. UA has taken an axe to their schedule because they're not seeing demand rebound. They've already said publicly that July may be more of the same.