Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

call me wild and crazy: bring back the 380 and 747s?

Old May 8, 20, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United

I wonder if there are any discussions about brining back the 380/747s (which are all probably available cheap and with oil prices low) to attempt a new major hub model - like originally planed - as airlines continue to figure out how to bring their networks back online?

instead of 10 daily SFO-EWR 737-800s that are each half full... fly a couple of packed 747s?

-m
Old May 8, 20, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
It's going to be a long time before anyone wants to sit in a packed anything. Though only having one or two flights a day would certainly force many people to avoid flying because of the terrible schedule.
BearX220, jmj9905, alggag and 2 others like this.
Old May 8, 20, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst View Post
fly a couple of packed
Bad for distancing.
Old May 8, 20, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
I am ready to fly!

probably easier to do "social distancing" in a bigger plane with 12 across?
Old May 8, 20, 9:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I wonder if there are any discussions about brining back the 380/747s
Short answer... no... as much as I would love to see more four-holers back in the sky, it would appear that COVID-19 is their death knell.
Old May 8, 20, 9:40 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
who said you can fill those planes to anything above 50%
Old May 8, 20, 9:41 am

Programs: united 1k, HH Diamond
Call me crazy but a 787 is much more “packed” than a a380.
Old May 8, 20, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Airlines around the world are trying to get rid of 4-engine planes. VS announced retiring all 747s recently and AF and LH are doing the same on the A380. SQ is considering whether there is actually a need to bring back A380 post Covid-19. UA is looking to have 787 be the backbone of its long-haul fleet and retire some of the 777s. CX, LH and others are considering cancellation or postponement of larger 777X order.

There are many A380 parked coming off the leases that have no takers and lessors have to take a huge loss writing them off.

Unless the airlines around the world are getting it totally wrong, I believe the fate of large 4-engine passenger jets is written in concrete.

The word " packing" is used in the OP is not reflecting the sentiment of the flying public in general in the current environment. Of course, who knows what may happen post Covid-19 in terms of "packing" into the planes. Time will tell.
Old May 8, 20, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am ready to fly!

probably easier to do "social distancing" in a bigger plane with 12 across?
But you said the bigger planes would be "packed" because of the reduction in the number of flights. You can't have it both ways.
jmj9905 and kimberlyrose like this.
Old May 8, 20, 10:36 am

instead of 10 daily SFO-EWR 737-800s that are each half full... fly a couple of packed 747s?

-m
Call me crazy, I prefer to have flights convenient to my schedule and not have to sit around all day or manage my calendar for 1 or 2 flights only.
rmadisonwi and cuthroat like this.
Old May 8, 20, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
As Long As We Are Dreaming...

I just wish UA would order a couple 747-8s and bring back UA1/2 RTW service with over-the-top first class.
Old May 8, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I just wish UA would order a couple 747-8s and bring back UA1/2 RTW service with over-the-top first class.
GREAT dream!
Old May 8, 20, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Yes, whether dreaming or not, my experience on the 747-8 has been quite positive in LH and CA first class. May be the seats in the LH and CA upper deck could be better, but the feel in the large extended upper deck is second to none. I don't get the same feeling on the A380 whether it is SQ or LH and other. Sitting in the upper decks of a A380 is just like sitting in another plane, there is no similar nose-cone like section on the lower deck of A380. A380 is a feel of sandwiching two planes together! Nothing special other than ultra quiet cabin and engine.

I hate to use this word "Exclusive" to describe the nose-cone and upper deck experience. Perhaps it is the exclusive experience from other airplanes.
AndyInSaigon likes this.
Old May 8, 20, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Airlines around the world are trying to get rid of 4-engine planes. VS announced retiring all 747s recently and AF and LH are doing the same on the A380. SQ is considering whether there is actually a need to bring back A380 post Covid-19. UA is looking to have 787 be the backbone of its long-haul fleet and retire some of the 777s. CX, LH and others are considering cancellation or postponement of larger 777X order.

There are many A380 parked coming off the leases that have no takers and lessors have to take a huge loss writing them off.

Unless the airlines around the world are getting it totally wrong, I believe the fate of large 4-engine passenger jets is written in concrete.

The word " packing" is used in the OP is not reflecting the sentiment of the flying public in general in the current environment. Of course, who knows what may happen post Covid-19 in terms of "packing" into the planes. Time will tell.
Better not tell Emirates
Old May 8, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Yes, whether dreaming or not, my experience on the 747-8 has been quite positive in LH and CA first class.
LH F in the nose of a 747-8 is pure bliss. I love, love, love the plane and the entire experience. The longer, the better (LAX-FRA, FRA-EZE).
onthesam and AndyInSaigon like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: