Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

call me wild and crazy: bring back the 380 and 747s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

call me wild and crazy: bring back the 380 and 747s?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
maybe there is (or will be) an economic and particle model in which these types of planes and routes are feasible again?

-m
Old May 10, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, you are crazy for all the reasons people have mentioned here.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Glad you asked this question as I was really excited to respond to the RTW post that I forgot a few details:

it started with JFK, then as I remembered UA discontinued JFK-LHR, so the flight 1/2 assignment went to EWR, but RTW actually ended with IAD being the East Coast airport (simply it was the only PMUA East Coast hub). East Coast was considered a weak link due to PMUA lack of feeder traffic into NY metro.

RTW started with JFK-LAX-HKF-DEL-LHR-JFK,
then became EWR-LAX-HKF-DEL-LHR-EWR, then ended up with IAD-LAX-HKG-DEL-LHR-IAD
Thanks. I'm surprised. I remember the JFK-LHR flight and UA1/2 moving to IAD, but I had no idea it went through EWR. I thought UA never had international service from Newark before the CO merger.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Thanks. I'm surprised. I remember the JFK-LHR flight and UA1/2 moving to IAD, but I had no idea it went through EWR. I thought UA never had international service from Newark before the CO merger.
IIRC, PMUA’s EWR-LHR flight was the original LHR-BRU-LHR tag on flight started in the 90s. Flight 906/907.

There was also the daily EWR-NRT flight during parts of the 90s in addition to the JFK-NRT flight as well.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 10, 2020 at 12:37 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The LHR-DEL was an out and back segment as part of RTW, using a 763. HKG-DEL-HKG turn was on the 744.
UA_Flyer and onthesam like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:46 pm

Fascinating -- and the "Double Sunrise" service (Perth to Ceylon in 32 hours non-stop) had very small capacity due to the excess fuel weight: "Due to the weight of the auxiliary fuel, an average flight carried only 3 passengers and 152 pounds (69 kg) of essential mail."

After all, there were no islands in the middle of that route that could be used for refuelling.
UA_Flyer and narvik like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I would love it if UA bought and used 747-8s but the reasons they won't have been listed above. As far as the A380 goes, I had no desire to fly on that aircraft before the pandemic, I definitely don't want to be on a plane with that many people onboard after the pandemic.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The A380 is probably the most comfortable aircraft I've ever been on. Even in hard turbulence it feels steady. A shame they are mostly going...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.