Rebooking BOS-LAX flight

Old May 8, 20, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Graciecatt View Post
That's what I was wondering - should I book a second flight on a different airline (which one (best refundable policy)? points or cash?) that I am positive is refundable and just wait and see if United cancels my existing flight.
seems like getting refund right now is pretty hard with an airline that's going through cash crunch as badly as UA. I would simply wait until you are more sure about traveling. I would be weary of AA/WN right now, because they schedule more flights and cancel more up close. The only airline to have operated this continuously is B6, so there is no reason they wouldn't fly this in June or later. DL canceled this for part of May, but if they still have it scheduled 2 to 3 weeks before your planned flying date, they should be flying it. I think you will be better served to wait until you are closer to expected traveling date.
Old May 8, 20, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
seems like getting refund right now is pretty hard with an airline that's going through cash crunch as badly as UA. I would simply wait until you are more sure about traveling. I would be weary of AA/WN right now, because they schedule more flights and cancel more up close. The only airline to have operated this continuously is B6, so there is no reason they wouldn't fly this in June or later. DL canceled this for part of May, but if they still have it scheduled 2 to 3 weeks before your planned flying date, they should be flying it. I think you will be better served to wait until you are closer to expected traveling date.
Thank you. I was definitely thinking of B6 next time. My return flight is currently scheduled on DL - I usually book one-ways rather than RT. I haven't even looked at my return flight - I've been more concerned about getting there.
Old May 11, 20, 8:08 am
Original Poster

So United changed my direct flight to a one-stop leaving 1.5 hours earlier to BOS-EWR layover 4 hours then EWR-LAX arriving 4 hours later. Total is more than 6 hours change but b/c it doesn't ARRIVE 6 hours later they say I am only eligible for a future flight credit or an electronic ticket certificate. Both credit and ETC are good for the same 2-year period. I also paid for upgraded seats and I know I have to apply for that credit separately.

The UA rep told me I have until 5/31 to change/cancel my flight and maybe this new flight will be changed again so she advised me to wait and see if it qualifies for cancellation and refund. Shouldn't the total change of 1.5 hours earlier + 4 hour layover + arriving 4 hours later = enough time for a refund? She supposedly checked with a supervisor and was told no.

I'm going to hang up and call again to see if I can get a different answer re the refund but in the meantime, which is better - the future credit or the certificate? From what I can gather from google, the future credit can be used with UA partners and the certificate cannot? or that you have to use the whole thing at once with a credit and a certificate can be used on multiple occasions until you use it up? This is super confusing. If I can't get a refund, I want to choose the smartest choice.
Old May 11, 20, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The UA rep told me I have until 5/31 to change/cancel my flight and maybe this new flight will be changed again so she advised me to wait and see if it qualifies for cancellation and refund. Shouldn't the total change of 1.5 hours earlier + 4 hour layover + arriving 4 hours later = enough time for a refund? She supposedly checked with a supervisor and was told no.
You're double-counting the layover time. You're counting it first as part of the layover, and then again as part of the arrival delay. If the total travel time changed by more than 6 hours, you might have gotten a different answer.

I'm going to hang up and call again to see if I can get a different answer re the refund but in the meantime, which is better - the future credit or the certificate? From what I can gather from google, the future credit can be used with UA partners and the certificate cannot?
This is correct. Also, future flight credit can only be used for your travel; you can't buy someone else a ticket with it.

or that you have to use the whole thing at once with a credit and a certificate can be used on multiple occasions until you use it up?
A certificate can definitely be used multiple times. Future flight credit can only be used once, but for most tickets booked prior to March 2, residual value would be returned to you as a travel certificate.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 11, 20, 9:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
.... Shouldn't the total change of 1.5 hours earlier + 4 hour layover + arriving 4 hours later = enough time for a refund? ....
The stated policy is a change in 6 hour change of departure or arrival from the original schedule, not a change in trip time. And your total trip time increase was less than 6 hours anyways.
Long, detailed discussion with multiple points of view of this in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling
.. - the future credit or the certificate? From what I can gather from google, the future credit can be used with UA partners and the certificate cannot? or that you have to use the whole thing at once with a credit and a certificate can be used on multiple occasions until you use it up? This is super confusing. If I can't get a refund, I want to choose the smartest choice.
The is a whole thread on that Choosing between UA Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) vs Future Flight Credit (FFC) and the thread's wiki summarizes the key points
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 11, 20, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you both so much. I will go back and read those threads.

I am not thrilled with UA. But after spending an hour arguing about how lousy the new flight was (4 hours in EWR? ) they put me on a different connection through ORD where I arrive at the exact same time as I was arriving originally. And only 1.5 hours in ORD, which is reasonable and won't cause stress. BOS-ORD UA3409 and ORD-LAX UA1967.

Obviously I may still not fly this ticket either, in which case I will give up, get a certificate rather than a credit to use w/in 2 years, and fly Jet Blue nonstop instead.

Plus they say they will refund me for the cost I paid to upgrade to E+, gave me E+ seats for free on the new flight. We'll see if I receive the seat refund.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 11, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
BOS-ORD UA3409
BOS-ORD on UAX? Yikes. Never seen that before!
Old May 13, 20, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
BOS-ORD on UAX? Yikes. Never seen that before!
What? They don't normally fly to ORD?
Old May 13, 20, 7:47 am

What? They don't normally fly to ORD?
Historically it's usually mainline, not express ('UAX'), for BOS/ORD.
Old May 13, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Yeah that makes sense. It will probably be a full flight. I'm still wondering if I should just give up, take the ETC, and fly B6 direct.
Old May 13, 20, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
there have always been some weekend UAX BOS-ORD. And a change to UAX is good news because you can get a refund ... different operating carrier.
Old May 14, 20, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
there have always been some weekend UAX BOS-ORD. And a change to UAX is good news because you can get a refund ... different operating carrier.
Is this in the CoC anywhere? Iíve got a booking for the end of June from SFO to SEA that has changed from mainline to UAX. It was a separate ticket designed to connect from LX (which Iím waiting to be cancelled too). I only paid £80 one way for it, so hardly the end of the world, but would be great to be able to get my money back if possible.
Old May 14, 20, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
Is this in the CoC anywhere? Iíve got a booking for the end of June from SFO to SEA that has changed from mainline to UAX. It was a separate ticket designed to connect from LX (which Iím waiting to be cancelled too). I only paid £80 one way for it, so hardly the end of the world, but would be great to be able to get my money back if possible.
It isn't. In fact, the CoC claims that UA can switch carriers at their election. However, cfischer's statement is based upon longstanding DOT guidance that the operating carrier must be disclosed at the time of booking. Prior to COVID, it wouldn't have been a problem to get a refund under this situation. Recently, though, there are several reports of UA insisting that people had to take partner flights, and subsequent DOT complaints. I don't think we've heard the results of those complaints yet.

IMO, the law is clearly on your side if you request a refund, but you may need to go through a DOT complaint to get it.
Dave_C likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: