Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I really hope this flight stays beyond July. I greatly enjoyed flying UA and DL's intra-Asia routes.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by blug
I really hope this flight stays beyond July. I greatly enjoyed flying UA and DL's intra-Asia routes.
I am almost certain that is not going to happen.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - SFO-HKG-SIN is a SQ route, but never UA. It was always SFO-HKG-SGN. HKG-SIN was the continuation of ORD-HKG.

Hence, the scheduling.
I beg to differ on the use of "never" or " always".

I started flying to SIN in early 90s by flying SFO-HKG-SIN or LAX-HKG-SIN. This was long before UA started ORD-HKG flight.
Pending on the aircraft rotation, sometimes the 744 on the LAX-HKG route would continue to fly HKG-SIN, and other times it was the plane that flew in from SFO.
ORD-HKG did not start until years later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I started flying to SIN in early 90s by flying SFO-HKG-SIN or LAX-HKG-SIN. This was long before UA started ORD-HKG flight.
Pending on the aircraft rotation, sometimes the 744 on the LAX-HKG route would continue to fly HKG-SIN, and other times it was the plane that flew in from SFO.
My apology. I did not go far enough. At that time, I flew SQ.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

The other 747 would do a DEL turn I think. Pretty sure my DEL-HKG was on a 744 in the late 90s. LHR -DEL-LHR was 763.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Fine, maybe I was being somewhat selfish as *I* would prefer to use the HKG/SIN overnight flights for onward connections in Asia rather than the NRT flights. I will, say, however, that the late night departures ex-SFO (similar to UA1/UA877 normal schedules) allows for connections from all over the US. The evening returns to SFO (similar to UA28/UA878 normal schedules) are indeed not ideal for onward connections to the rest of the US.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The other 747 would do a DEL turn I think. Pretty sure my DEL-HKG was on a 744 in the late 90s. LHR -DEL-LHR was 763.
It all depends on what period you are talking about. The RTW started when UA was still operating out of the old HK airport, and 763 were used for HKG-DEL-HKG. The 763 was flying LHR-DEL-HKG-DEL-LHR. At LHR, pending on aircraft rotation, a different 763 may be used to fly LHR-JFK-LHR.

The use of 744 on DEL-HKG-DEL did not take place until may be a year or so after UA moved to the new HK airport. As reported the overnight fee at HKG has been one of the highest in Asia, and keeping the extra 744 overnight was more expensive than operating a half-full flight to SIN, DEL or BKK. The switch was made to use the overnight 744 on HKG-DEL-HKG. This also saved cost on the having to pay for the 763 sitting in HK for almost 12 hours during the day time. The DEL-HKG arrived in the morning and did not leave until after 8 pm.

When SQ started increasing HKG-SIN flights in the evening hours, the demand for UA operated 744 HKG-SIN flight decreased. Some in this forum may remember UA replaced the HKG-SIN flight with HKG-BKK for a period of time. After discontinuing RTW, UA started HKG-SGN, and HKG-BKK was switched back to HKG-SIN.

Originally Posted by dkc192
Fine, maybe I was being somewhat selfish as *I* would prefer to use the HKG/SIN overnight flights for onward connections in Asia rather than the NRT flights. I will, say, however, that the late night departures ex-SFO (similar to UA1/UA877 normal schedules) allows for connections from all over the US. The evening returns to SFO (similar to UA28/UA878 normal schedules) are indeed not ideal for onward connections to the rest of the US.

I would not be too concerned. There are no places you can connect to in Asia at the moment unless you have a second passport or permanent resident of a jurisdiction, which allows you to enter not as an American.

As noted, the SFO-HKG-SIN is currently in the schedule for purchase in the month of July until early August. Starting early August, you will see the flight is not available, but SFO-SIN direct flight is back on. Of course, anything can change based on demand and change of travel restrictions.
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
As noted, the SFO-HKG-SIN is currently in the schedule for purchase in the month of July until early August. Starting early August, you will see the flight is not available, but SFO-SIN direct flight is back on. Of course, anything can change based on demand and change of travel restrictions.
I'd suggest it's not "back on," but rather, "still on." The August schedule is what has been there all along; UA has not been modifying until about a month out. And so if this practice continues, in early July we'll see the true August schedule.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:08 pm

I would not be too concerned. There are no places you can connect to in Asia at the moment unless you have a second passport or permanent resident of a jurisdiction, which allows you to enter not as an American.

I am actually a SE Asian citizen and not an American.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
I am actually a SE Asian citizen and not an American.
In that case, if you need to go home, perhaps fly through NRT and connect onto NH or fly to HK to see if you can get better connecting flights. No point doing a two-stop flight.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
From Hub's Summer 2020 Update (Dated June 9)

Across the Pacific we will grow our Tokyo service including the addition of Haneda (HND) from Chicago O'Hare (ORD), and will also resume service to Seoul (ICN), Hong Kong (HKG), and Singapore (SIN) which will be served via a flight from Hong Kong (HKG), pending government approvals

San Francisco Hong Kong - Singapore* 5x/weekly

https://hub.united.com/united-summer...646143797.html
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:37 am

Can anyone please tell me when the SIN-HKG-SFO service will begin? I cannot find the answer.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Can anyone please tell me when the SIN-HKG-SFO service will begin? I cannot find the answer.
It shows up on the schedule starting 8 July 2020 -- but that could shift pending approvals
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:52 am

Note that the corresponding first ex-USA outbound departs on July 6th, arriving HKG on July 7th and SIN just past midnight on July 8th.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those who are looking to fly UA into SIN and then transit to elsewhere should check Changi transit rules.

Apparently it is quite limited and airlines need to submit application which routes can be transit to/from. At the moment only a small number of connecting flights operated by SQ group (SQ, Silk Air and Scoot) have received approval.

Transferring from one airlines to a different airlines on two separate PNRs via Changi does not seem to be allowed.

Good luck!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.