Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What happened 5 years ago does really seem to be of any significance to today -- other than UA travelers have long memories.
It does. At the minimum - the reason of HKG-SIN cancellation has hinted the possibility of the resuming of the service.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dkc192
If they were to run a SFO-HKG-SIN and vice versa flight, I hope that they'd run a schedule based on UA877/878 and closely resembling SQ1/2--AKA evening/night flights overwater--rather than the miserable old schedule they ran (UA895/896). UA877 "currently" arrives HKG around 6am, and could arrive in SIN by noon at the latest as a tag flight. The return, UA878, could then leave SIN as early as 2pm, arriving into HKG at 6pm and continuing to SFO at 7:30pm. It could also leave SIN later to match the "current" ex-HKG timing of UA878 (10:30pm).
I totally agree with you. That would be awesome!
Old May 7, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
If they were to run a SFO-HKG-SIN and vice versa flight, I hope that they'd run a schedule based on UA877/878 and closely resembling SQ1/2--AKA evening/night flights overwater--rather than the miserable old schedule they ran (UA895/896). UA877 "currently" arrives HKG around 6am, and could arrive in SIN by noon at the latest as a tag flight. The return, UA878, could then leave SIN as early as 2pm, arriving into HKG at 6pm and continuing to SFO at 7:30pm. It could also leave SIN later to match the "current" ex-HKG timing of UA878 (10:30pm).
That would be ideal, especially I don't like to get up at 3 am in Singapore to get ready to catch the 6 am flight to HK that used to be scheduled. However, I am also conscious of reduced flight availabilities to/from the East Coast and Midwest during and post Covid-19, there need to be connecting flights available for people traveling from elsewhere to connect to/from the SFO-HKG-SFO flight.

UA did run a second HKG-SFO flight pre-2000 that left HK in the evening around 8 pm and arrived into SFO in the evening. It was great if one lives on the West Coast, but often required overnight for some of the East Coast and Midwest flyers. Again, in the pre-2000 era, UA had no PS flights or as many flights in the evening hours as pre Covid-19.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 7, 2020 at 10:45 am
Old May 7, 2020, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Can we get back to the new information about SIN-HKG -- cargo route and maybe passenger service. What happened 5 years ago does really seem to be of any significance to today -- other than UA travelers have long memories. I'm more interested in where things are going and not what happened in the distant past.
The history here is germaine. Exactly why setting up this tag (should it materialize as a passenger route) is logical for UA v say DL.

Will they reset the timing to 6:45am to allow for HKG connections onto SFO (and further domestic connections) and hopefully direct to ORD and EWR down the road? That all has history to it.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Since this thread has turned into a trip down memory lane, I did IAH-SFO-HKG-SIN in July 2017, with SFO-HKG on the then-brand-new 773 and the HKG-SIN tag being flown on the 3-class 772 that came in from ORD (alas I was stuck in a backward-facing seat in the J cabin). UA left my luggage in SFO and I got it the next day.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Does anyone know if DOT's decision will come before the weekend, so UA can start the cargo flight on May 10?

Originally Posted by st530
Since this thread has turned into a trip down memory lane, I did IAH-SFO-HKG-SIN in July 2017, with SFO-HKG on the then-brand-new 773 and the HKG-SIN tag being flown on the 3-class 772 that came in from ORD (alas I was stuck in a backward-facing seat in the J cabin). UA left my luggage in SFO and I got it the next day.
Next time if we are on a one of those planes together, I am more than happy to trade with you!
My partner and I love the back facing seats, especially during long haul. the plane's cruising angle makes them much more comfortable for sleeping.
st530 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'd think that the best HKG schedules for connections on the US end are 877 out (allowing for a whole day's worth of inbound connections) and 862 back (similarly allowing for almost a whole day's worth of onward connections). However, operating both of those flights precludes using the same aircraft to do the same-day HKG-SIN-HKG turn.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Looks like this started up on 5/12 with the
B789. Did not see it on 5/13, but am seeing it on 5/14.

lsquare and narvik like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm confused, but since when did UA did a fifth freedom flight from HKG-SIN?
This goes back to the PanAm days. PanAm sold its Pacific network to UA in the mid-80s.

Pan Am December 1, 1984 International Route Map
United Airlines September 3, 1986 International Route Map
lsquare likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Looks like the HKG-SIN tag flight is coming back at least 5x a week in July!

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...l-15303577.php

Meanwhile, a United spokesperson just filled us in on the airline's July international schedule, which will feature a revival of SFO-Tel Aviv and SFO-Delhi flights, both three days a week; the resumption of SFO-Seoul service three times a week; and five weekly SFO-Hong Kong-Singapore flights, which are being "temporarily consolidated" subject to government approvals.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
SIN to LAX or SFO are just very long and thin routes. HKG-SIN re-launch makes sense to me, especially right now.
iluv2fly, kluau88 and wxguy like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
5x weekly seems like an odd frequency to operate, and IIRC UA doesn't have many (or any?) international flights at that frequency. It's either daily or 3x weekly for some of the thinner, leisure-oriented routes, so that only one frame is needed to operate it (e.g. SFO-PPT, EWR-CPT).
Old May 31, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: United Gold
5x weekly seems like an odd frequency to operate, and IIRC UA doesn't have many (or any?) international flights at that frequency. It's either daily or 3x weekly for some of the thinner, leisure-oriented routes, so that only one frame is needed to operate it (e.g. SFO-PPT, EWR-CPT).
I had the same thought, but then again frames are plentiful right now.
Old May 31, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
SIN to LAX or SFO are just very long and thin routes. HKG-SIN re-launch makes sense to me, especially right now.
What do you mean exactly by long and thin routes?
Old May 31, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Long flight distance, thin (relatively low) passenger volume.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.