Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
These routes make zero sense from JFK for UA.

The JFK "premium" transcons are a failed attempt to attract/retain/re-establish lucrative NYC business that they stupidly abandoned by moving "premium" transcons to sEWeR. For the destinations you mentioned, the premium NYC business goes to LGA.

For anyone thinking of the "Long Island suburbs" argument, the suburban money is on the North Shore, which is, again, more convenient to LGA.

UA's renewed presence at JFK is another in the long list of failures for this dumpster fire of an airline.
Nope, the dumpster fire is Delta, with over 550 cancellations since Friday, and countless more delays
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Nope, the dumpster fire is Delta, with over 550 cancellations since Friday, and countless more delays
What does Delta have anything to do with this thread?

I have taken a bunch of flights to/from JFK on UA since its return to JFK. Based on my anecdote data points, UA has failed to attract enough O/D customers, and without proper connections, it's a big ask to compete at JFK. Before UA pulled 763 high J, there would be a lot of empty seats up front and I have never missed an upgrade.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
More swaps:

The 8:30pm SFO-JFK on 6/25 got upgraded to a 772 (Polaris). As is this mornings UA521 from JFK-SFO.

And the 8:30pm SFO-JFK on 6/28 just got subbed to a 753 Guessing the UA521 on 6/29 will also be a 753, but not seeing that yet.
Excuse my ignorance, but anybody know if if this the first time a 777 has been back at JFK since the re-introduction of the new service?

Back in the old days, I remember when 3-cabin 767/777s used to be used when weather severely disrupted operations at JFK and they needed quick capacity.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Excuse my ignorance, but anybody know if if this the first time a 777 has been back at JFK since the re-introduction of the new service?

Back in the old days, I remember when 3-cabin 767/777s used to be used when weather severely disrupted operations at JFK and they needed quick capacity.
Back in the old days a 763 would often be in the rotation (usually the 7am to LAX for me) leading up to p.s. and the retiring of the 762 (r.i.p / shoutout to Connoisseur Class). Until p.s. was announced we hoped weʻd get all 763 service on transcon. Funny that 15 years later weʻre hoping for those same 763s (:

UA was never anything at JFK in my lifetime beyond the premium transcon, feeders to IAD, ORD once in a while and a flight or two to LHR, painfully. Did they also fly to EZE and Sao Paolo?

I flew the reinstated LAX-JFK a couple times last year. It was enjoyable for old times sake but T7 isn't what it used to be.. 2x a day for each on 757s doesn't seem promising for any expansion, does it?

Last edited by evol; Jun 26, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by evol
2x a day for each on 757s doesn't seem promising for any expansion, does it?
I think UA was only able to restart routes to JFK because they picked up slots that were dropped during the pandemic. I don't believe they own the slots at this time to run frequency more frequently. My recollection is that back when they had p.s. service from JFK, they flew 5-7x daily to both LAX and SFO. Not sure they have the birds for that at the moment either. I would hope that some of the MAX 10s they eventually take delivery of have some sort of premium-heavy configuration (like 1-1 Polaris, 2-2 Premium Plus, then Y+/Y), but from what I recollect seeing on the boards here, I think there is only a regular domestic seating plan (24F seats, then Y/Y+) drawn up as of now for those.
evol likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
UA was never anything at JFK in my lifetime beyond the premium transcon, feeders to IAD, ORD once in a while and a flight or two to LHR, painfully. Did they also fly to EZE and Sao Paolo?
And NRT… which lasted longer than the South American routes… and way back around 2000 or 2001 they tried out HKG for a bit.
SPN Lifer and evol like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
There were scheduled 777s for a time on one or two flights a day on JFKSFO in the late 90s, including either the 8am or 9am flight, IIRC.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold

5/29 a PW 777 did the morning SFO-JFK flight then turned and did JFK-SFO.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dw
And NRT… which lasted longer than the South American routes… and way back around 2000 or 2001 they tried out HKG for a bit.
And CCS, SJU, and SEA. They received authority to launch JFK-CDG before 9/11 but never started it.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574275
evol likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would hope that some of the MAX 10s they eventually take delivery of have some sort of premium-heavy configuration (like 1-1 Polaris, 2-2 Premium Plus, then Y+/Y).
Not sure how well that is working out for AA although they don't market their 2-2 seating as PE. Maybe if UA had something comparable to the flagship lounge (i.e., PL access), that could drive sales. But they would need to add it for EWR too I think..
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Prior to the BK, The ps flights were very frequently operated by widebodies. I recall flying regularly scheduled 3 cabin F LAX-JFK on a 767, and also seem to recall an all-premium 767.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Prior to the BK, The ps flights were very frequently operated by widebodies. I recall flying regularly scheduled 3 cabin F LAX-JFK on a 767, and also seem to recall an all-premium 767.
Please don't hold me to it, but I think it was the 762's wasn't it?

As far as all premium, I don't think that was UA... Only think I can think of close was the 752's that had all E+ (although the smallest E+ pitch in the fleet) with C & F.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Please don't hold me to it, but I think it was the 762's wasn't it?

As far as all premium, I don't think that was UA... Only think I can think of close was the 752's that had all E+ (although the smallest E+ pitch in the fleet) with C & F.
Yes the 762 was the workhouse of the JFK transcon. Pretty comfy plane all in all, very barebones no IFE (unless iʻm remembering wrong) There must have been a ton of capacity in the late 90ʻs - mid 2000ʻs because these flights were rarely full which also made it more comfortable.

dw, Buster CT1K and tuolumne like this.

Last edited by evol; Jun 27, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Yes the 762 was the workhouse of the JFK transcon. Pretty comfy plane all in all, very barebones no IFE (unless iʻm remembering wrong) There must have been a ton of capacity in the late 90ʻs - mid 2000ʻs because these flights were rarely full which also made it more comfortable.

I believe these 3-Class 762's (believe it or not) actually had PTVs in First Class installed right into the seat. Business didn't have any of that, just overhead monitors like Economy. The Economy seats seemed pretty worn down by the early 2000s, but still, a comfortable product.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Saab_Redondo_1987
I believe these 3-Class 762's (believe it or not) actually had PTVs in First Class installed right into the seat. Business didn't have any of that, just overhead monitors like Economy. The Economy seats seemed pretty worn down by the early 2000s, but still, a comfortable product.
They definitely had personal TVs in F. It was the precursor to the lie-flat. Similar to the F seat they had on the three class 752s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.