Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Well, Spirit has an exemption for flights between LGA and LAX - 1x/week (someone check the frequency) but only from MAT, not its operations by the main terminals area.

Offtopic but quickly, though LGA's partial new Terminal B is nice looking, the downside is a lot of walking. I found a shortcut to avoid the "duty-free" area going up the escalator after security (before coming down one level anyway for most AA flights) - so many up and and down between gates, terminal space, and connectors.
Amazing that of all airlines, NK is the one to operate this. Would have thought B6, AA, or DL would have beaten them to it. Even at once a week, it's still arguably one of if not the most lucrative routes in the country since people seem to love LGA for whatever reason.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Well, Spirit has an exemption for flights between LGA and LAX - 1x/week (someone check the frequency) but only from MAT, not its operations by the main terminals area.
Saturdays are exempt from the perimeter rule for all airline.

Offtopic but quickly, though LGA's partial new Terminal B is nice looking, the downside is a lot of walking. I found a shortcut to avoid the "duty-free" area going up the escalator after security (before coming down one level anyway for most AA flights) - so many up and and down between gates, terminal space, and connectors.
I welcome the exercise. I've grown a small pandemic food baby from being less active.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The higher Mint fares is surprising to me as well.
Because it offers an excellent and vastly superior product that sells out often. You know, for paid J travel? Not UA's apparent business model of restarting at JFK to reduce balance sheet liability. UA should give this high-quality product strategy a shot in their subbed 753.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
sells out often.
You mean to tell me it's easier to sell 16 seats vs. 46 seats?

UA should give this high-quality product strategy a shot in their subbed 753.
It was an one-off event. For you to use this as your argument UA's re-entry into JFK has been "complete and total failure" is disingenuous. Could UA do better? Of course, it has a lot of room for improvements.
tuolumne, seanp7, char777 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
You mean to tell me it's easier to sell 16 seats vs. 46 seats?
You’re making literally no point. UA chose the aircraft to provision in the market. That they can only fill it with low level elites (1K and below) on upgrades and mileage tickets shows, once again, failure in the market.

B6 offers a quality product in the market, with an appropriately sized aircraft, and demands a significant price premium.

Which airline is doing better in the market, do you think? Which one has the future? The one filled with paid J at a price premium (which is apparently some sort of “mystery” to some here), and almost zero upgrades or mileage tickets? Or the one filled with empty cabins stuffed with “elites” on free upgrades and free tickets, subbing a domestic aircraft when it suits them? Obviously the latter right? Because they’re really cleaning up that balance sheet.

It was an one-off event. For you to use this as your argument UA's re-entry into JFK has been "complete and total failure" is disingenuous. Could UA do better? Of course, it has a lot of room for improvements.
No it wasn’t. And it certainly won’t be the last time.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’re making literally no point. UA chose the aircraft to provision in the market. That they can only fill it with low level elites (1K and below) on upgrades and mileage tickets shows, once again, failure in the market.
Agreed. UA chose to put their hi-J 767s on this route for whatever reason. A 16J 757 would have easily been sufficient. At least to start off with.

B6 offers a quality product in the market, with an appropriately sized aircraft, and demands a significant price premium.
For sure. B6 is by far the market leader at this point and as they get more and more 32Ns with the new product that will continue to extend. If UA could get it’s onboard service in order they’d have a compelling product with the Polaris aircraft but unfortunately it’s still just too much of a crapshoot as to whether you’re going to get plastic cups, mangled animal carcass on a plate, and a grumpy lAAzy cabin crew.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by fly747first
As of 10/6/21, AS will no longer fly JFK LAX and my previous comment was specific to JFK LAX apologies if I wasn't clear.
Also, AS is only flying JFK SFO once per day now
Nah, my bad - was forgetting the full context.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may have missed this
....(murmurs of AS t7 lounge being rebranded as UC)
So as an AS elite flying F in a month or so I hope this is as dubious as it sounds. I get that the premium route volume is being dramatically reduced but that space was still pretty new pre-covid and much hyped.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed. UA chose to put their hi-J 767s on this route for whatever reason. A 16J 757 would have easily been sufficient. At least to start off with.
Honestly the Hi-J 767 is IMO the right kind of aircraft to put on this especially as they're trying to break in to the market. They first need to incentivize business customers to choose this route even in economy before they can command a price premium for J especially for such a saturated route with so much competition. A better soft product would also be useful to convince customers but we know UA is never doing that.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yawn…

“UAL can’t compete on the transcons because they don’t fly to JFK.”

”UAL can’t compete on the transcons because they swapped a 753 on four summertime JFK flights during COVID.”

Originally Posted by fly747first
UA Flyers, correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the UA 767-300s have personal air vents, right? I know the rest of the UA fleet does yet from my memory don't recall ever seeing personal vents on the 763s.
All but the 3 ex-HA 763s have gaspers.

Care to show your work on that one? Especially a “significant” price premium?

I am not trying to be rude, I’m genuinely curious because historically this has not been the case.

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 18, 2021 at 10:06 pm
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Concerning the 753 usage on this route, so to have a quantitive issue to discuss --- how many 753 substitutions have there been, in say, the last 10 weeks for the 2x daily flights -- how many out of the last 300 flights (both ways)? I am having trouble finding any other then the one reported on 11 July -- and irrops recovery.

We can argue if the 763 high-J was the correct choice but on the 753 issue since you have claimed multiple, can you put a better figure on that?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not sure why they’d even bother swapping a 753 in. They’d be better off just canceling the flight, it would be less embarrassing than offering J customers domestic F seats with 37” of pitch and horrible seat comfort on this route.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Agreed on the quality. B6 Mint is the best Nth American business class.
My (unscientific) analysis of transcon fares lately is that all airlines have upped their prices (and they tend to match each other). While 6 months ago, you could find Mint NY-LA/SF as low as $500-600 one way, it's seems now they are in the mid-800's, or significantly higher. As noted in this thread, UA have jacked up their prices from EWR too. I honestly think it's demand, as certain people (not necessarily business folks on OPM) are willing to fork out cash for F during this recovery.

You can still get Mint for $530-550ow from NY to SEA and LAS, which is a decent buy.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Agreed on the quality. B6 Mint is the best Nth American business class.
My (unscientific) analysis of transcon fares lately is that all airlines have upped their prices (and they tend to match each other). While 6 months ago, you could find Mint NY-LA/SF as low as $500-600 one way, it's seems now they are in the mid-800's, or significantly higher. As noted in this thread, UA have jacked up their prices from EWR too. I honestly think it's demand, as certain people (not necessarily business folks on OPM) are willing to fork out cash for F during this recovery.

You can still get Mint for $530-550ow from NY to SEA and LAS, which is a decent buy.
NY-California in Mint is tough to find for much less than $900-1000 these days and many of those are undesirable AM flights. The PM flights are often much more.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
NY-California in Mint is tough to find for much less than $900-1000 these days and many of those are undesirable AM flights. The PM flights are often much more.
Yeah that was sorta my point; it's pricey but so is UA at the moment for peak hour flights. B6 is $898 ow for most of August, but plenty of evening/late evening flights too.

cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:28 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Which airline is doing better in the market, do you think? Which one has the future? The one filled with paid J at a price premium (which is apparently some sort of “mystery” to some here), and almost zero upgrades or mileage tickets? Or the one filled with empty cabins stuffed with “elites” on free upgrades and free tickets, subbing a domestic aircraft when it suits them? Obviously the latter right? Because they’re really cleaning up that balance sheet.

There are no upgrades to Mint because you can't - the program does not allow upgrades to Mint. Also, you can redeem TrueBlue points for Mint.

There are no free upgrades on UA JFK routes - the traveler has to redeem miles + co-pay or PlusPoints to upgrade.

Lastly, B6 probably has the worst recovery for IRROP. Outside of the new AA partnership, they do not interline with any other domestic carriers. In case of a MX, unless they have a bunch of spare planes hanging out (unlikely), you wait for them to fix the plane without an alternative (well, except now they may be able to rebook you on AA), or get on the next flight if the flight is cancelled. If the originally scheduled plane lands in a different airport due to diversion, the passenger is expected to leave out of the diverted airport, as it had happened to me.

I’m not sure why they’d even bother swapping a 753 in. They’d be better off just canceling the flight, it would be less embarrassing than offering J customers domestic F seats with 37” of pitch and horrible seat comfort on this route.
Try explaining that one to the managing directors on the reason why they took a cancellation and a FAA record hit - because they would be embarrassed.
Xyzzy and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by PTahCha; Jul 19, 2021 at 11:06 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.