Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Missed a '1' - $18mn a day for Delta - both that and $5mn B6 are most recent run rates.

Delta has 7x the liquidity, so its annualized daily operating cash burn rate vs liquidity is 31% ($18mn x 365 / $21bn). B6 is at 61%, or 2x worse ($5mn x 365 / $3bn).

This is a UA forum, not B6 - and UA doesn't have to spend capex to put margin pressure on B6 and AA - the weak existing hands at JFK. DL has the strongest financial hand by far - if B6 and AA are further weakened by this UA move you can bet DL will see more margin opportunity to expand its global hub terminal footprint at JFK.
Not sure I'd call B6 'weak' at JFK. And I highly down less than half a dozen transcon flights from UA is going to do much to change that. The UA transcon product is okay at the moment, but it's still a standard deviation below B6 and AA. Delta, well, they're utter trash right now in the transcon market.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please remember this is the UA forum and detail financial analysis of other airlines belongs in their respective forums.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Does anyone know what the lounge situation will be for transcon J pax out of JFK? T7 has an AS and a BA lounge (I think?) and not sure if either of those would be viable for UA.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Keen to hear from Manhattan residents...

When I have a longer stay at my place in SW Florida, I’ll usually fly up to NYC for two/three days a week for meetings etc. In the past I’d mix it up between UA and AA, but for the last five years or so flying RSW-EWR and then a car service into Midtown (I stay at my club near 5th/44th). I never gave much thought to whether JFK or EWR was preferable, but what is the consensus view on which route is easier. I usually pre-book a car service, and don’t take a taxi.
To/from my apartment in Manhattan, by car, it's usually about 30 minutes quicker to get to EWR than JFK. With zero traffic they should both be about 30 minutes from my apartment, plus or minus about 5 minutes. But, (in non-covid times at least) with normal traffic, I'd sit in a lot more traffic a lot more frequently coming/going to JFK than EWR. LGA's quicker by about 10 minutes, but with all the construction last time I flew in there it was a heck of a lot slower!

Mass transit JFK's a little easier to get to (just get on the A or E) than EWR (with NJ Transit), but in terms of time and actual effort they're close enough to even. I've never actually done the bus to LGA, but I've been told it's also pretty easy.

Which is why, for the most part, I'm fairly loyal to UA in NYC. My $0.02 at least.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zspitzer
To/from my apartment in Manhattan, by car, it's usually about 30 minutes quicker to get to EWR than JFK. With zero traffic they should both be about 30 minutes from my apartment, plus or minus about 5 minutes. But, (in non-covid times at least) with normal traffic, I'd sit in a lot more traffic a lot more frequently coming/going to JFK than EWR. LGA's quicker by about 10 minutes, but with all the construction last time I flew in there it was a heck of a lot slower!

Mass transit JFK's a little easier to get to (just get on the A or E) than EWR (with NJ Transit), but in terms of time and actual effort they're close enough to even. I've never actually done the bus to LGA, but I've been told it's also pretty easy.

Which is why, for the most part, I'm fairly loyal to UA in NYC. My $0.02 at least.
That’s pretty much my impression as well. Thanks.
zspitzer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Does anyone know what the lounge situation will be for transcon J pax out of JFK? T7 has an AS and a BA lounge (I think?) and not sure if either of those would be viable for UA.
Here are my thoughts on the matter from last week (TL;DR - I think it's AS):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32811461-post152.html
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Wonder if UA got some deep discounts on gates?

Friend of mine company is looking at retail space at JFK and there are some less traffic areas that are dirt cheap right now.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
JFK is back

UA Website

Flying reconfigured 763 ER starting Feb 1 2021.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2020 at 1:23 pm Reason: Moved to recent thread
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Nope. Certainly not T7. (this coming from someone who flies a lot on AS).
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
UA Website

Flying reconfigured 763 ER starting Feb 1 2021.
The JFK schedule was published a month ago.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2020 at 1:24 pm Reason: cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Nope. Certainly not T7. (this coming from someone who flies a lot on AS).
UA flights are definitely using T7 gates. Or are you saying AS will "certainly not" allow it's (so far) shuttered lounge to host UA passengers?

1 UA 514J 01FEB M LAXJFK SS1 730A 350P /DCUA /E
ADV PAX FLT ARRIVES TERMINAL-7
ADV PAX FLT DEPARTS TERMINAL-7
BUSINESSFIRST OFFERED THIS FLIGHT
JNZNPNPZINONRNYNHNXN
76L
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
UA flights are definitely using T7 gates. Or are you saying AS will "certainly not" allow it's (so far) shuttered lounge to host UA passengers?

1 UA 514J 01FEB M LAXJFK SS1 730A 350P /DCUA /E
ADV PAX FLT ARRIVES TERMINAL-7
ADV PAX FLT DEPARTS TERMINAL-7
BUSINESSFIRST OFFERED THIS FLIGHT
JNZNPNPZINONRNYNHNXN
76L
What's the thread tile question?

Do you miss JFK today?

Before it was merged with a different thread.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
What's the thread tile question?

Do you miss JFK today?

Before it was merged with a different thread.
Ha...didn't realize there was a merger. T7 is not that bad!
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have already posted, where would all these JFK slots come from?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2020 at 11:20 am Reason: moved to JFK discussion
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:05 pm

As I have already posted, where would all these JFK slots come from?
JFK slots come from AA if they are cutting more domestic non-transcon capacity. Prior the pandemic 1 BOS-SFO rotation would be on the 77G. As for the 789, UA could launch EWR-BLR and IAD-JNB and could do LAX-IAD-JNB-EWR and SFO-BLR-EWR-CPT.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2020 at 11:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.