Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:09 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
UA's JFK-LAX/SFO promotion slogan should be "100% 'Mint Studio' seats on wide body aircraft," not 1/3 Studio seats on a sissy narrow body aircraft.
This should be the end of discussion of UA vs. Mint Studio seats. Just vote with your wallet if you do not like UA's product..
I mean United could advertise that for JFK-LAX/SFO but it would be pretty awkward when October hits and they downgrade the route to 757-200s. The quality of the other seats on board doesn’t really seem relevant to someone making a choice between two seats he/she wants.

I’m happy to book United using the cheapest fare I can find and upgrade when there’s PN availability. Also happy to book something else when it works best for me in terms of cost and product. No loyalty for any airline and not swayed by the paltry GS MileagePlus benefits.

I’m just making the (imo still uncontested) point that this Polaris layout is not ideal for leisure travelers that want to interact with their traveling groups. But again, pretty moot point as United will soon downgrade the route. The great irony there is that the downgraded layout is more accommodating of group leisure travelers lol.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Just flew UA517 JFK-LAX. Great staff at the check-in counters, Alaska Lounge, and on board. Food was tasty.
For anyone's curiosity, bruschetta and a creamy chicken and rice soup was served at the Alaska Lounge at JFK. The Alaska lounge had the other usual items minus the pancake machine.
Just curious you flew UA but Alaska allows you to still use there lounge? Sadly NOT the case with UCs.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
Just curious you flew UA but Alaska allows you to still use there lounge? Sadly NOT the case with UCs.
UA has an arrangement with Alaska at JFK. UA business class passengers are able to use the AS lounge there.

Originally Posted by greenpau
Great to see the new pre-arrival meals, and even better to hear that it was good!
I wouldn't it a meal, but more of a snack, especially the cheese option.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 23, 2021 at 3:10 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA has an arrangement with Alaska at JFK. UA business class passengers are able to use the AS lounge there..
Learn something new every day. Don't use JFK as much any more. What about just UC members flying E/E+?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Learn something new every day. Don't use JFK as much any more. What about just UC members flying E/E+?
No access.

Admission to the AS lounge at JFK is also possible with Priority Pass.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA has an arrangement with Alaska at JFK. UA business class passengers are able to use the AS lounge there.
Yes, I should have clarified, the access to the JFK Alaska lounge is granted by the United J class ticket. It's sad though, I peeked into the LAX UC after arrival and the offerings at Alaska were better.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2021 at 7:12 pm Reason: split post
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
It's sad though, I peeked into the LAX UC after arrival and the offerings at Alaska were better.
Alaska Lounge at JFK or Alaska Lounge at LAX?

David
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Or 1K PlusPoints, every person I’ve redeemed PlusPoints for on a JFK route has had their upgrade clear. Pretty crazy
Anyone have any experience in terms of how easy it would be for a non-elite to get a mileage upgrade (20k + 75) from JFK? I have to go to LAX and would have never considered United but I have enough miles for the upgrades both ways and the economy fares are cheaper than AA/B6.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
After tomorrow morning's flight, it will probably be pretty much impossible. The plane will have 16 seats vs the current 46 up front.
dw likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
After tomorrow morning's flight, it will probably be pretty much impossible. The plane will have 16 seats vs the current 46 up front.
That's too bad. The transcons, with larger J cabins, have been kind to me. I've cleared 12 transcon segments in the last 60 days (many to/from JFK). I have the flexibility to travel off-peak days/times, so that helps.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
JFK has been good to me too as I worked towards 4MM. I have cleared every segment (28-30) in the last 3 months. Of course being GS helps. In Sept I think almost every flight did have some empty seats up front.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
I just went to JFK on the 30th to catch the Mets' final home game of the year.

The best part about the new JFK flight is I can get from my Polaris seat to my bleacher seat below in about 25 minutes!

artvandalay and tstauck like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went to JFK on the 30th to catch the Mets' final home game of the year.

The best part about the new JFK flight is I can get from my Polaris seat to my bleacher seat below in about 25 minutes!

Certainly easy to get into Citi Field I imagine, given the “sparse” crowd!😂
(Snarky comment from me, a Cub fan)
nnn and spartacusmcfly like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK upgrades go from shoo-in to next to impossible after tomorrow.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Maybe not, the Thursday evening upgrade lists from JFK tomorrow are very short, especially to LAX, not at all what I'd expect.
I wonder if UA's JFK service either (1) lost customers or (2) was serving people who would otherwise go to EWR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.