Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by AMflier
With T7 slated for demolition, I'll be fascinated to see which terminal they use.
Building 213 (Tower Air Terminal)!

(I flew with Tower Air out of that terminal once....ONCE! )
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:44 pm

I'm so confused about where UA is gong to fly out of? AA chased UA out of JFK, why would it allow UA to get into T-8 now? B6 is going to get all of old T6 space + to be demolished T-7. Why would it allow a competitor to move back in. DL wants to push as many airlines out of T-4 as possible, since it's losing T-2 to the new South Terminal. And I'm not sure why it would allow UA to come in there. The new south terminal is several years away. And current T-1 apparently can't handle domestic luggages. Is JFK going to force UA into T-4 or the to be demolished T-7?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CALMSP
agreed, the likes of NRT/HND and FRA are already "served" by UA from JFK. The only piece I can see outside of domestic service is doing a 1x or 2x JFK-LHR. The missing piece on the STAR Alliance network. Likely, not so much, but you are not gonna need all those flights from EWR for a while, so the ability to swap a 6th flight to a 1x JFK-LHR could garner some interest.
Does the JFK-LHR route really need five airlines? I suppose it could be operated by the LHR base but still....
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
United back to JFK???

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-jfk-airport/

Fun fact, I was the last UA pax to board a UA flight at JFK.
rieuwa likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by tphuang
I'm so confused about where UA is gong to fly out of? AA chased UA out of JFK, why would it allow UA to get into T-8 now? B6 is going to get all of old T6 space + to be demolished T-7. Why would it allow a competitor to move back in. DL wants to push as many airlines out of T-4 as possible, since it's losing T-2 to the new South Terminal. And I'm not sure why it would allow UA to come in there. The new south terminal is several years away. And current T-1 apparently can't handle domestic luggages. Is JFK going to force UA into T-4 or the to be demolished T-7?
I think AA’s misstep of flight reduction to JFK is making space for UA to returning to JFK.

Clearly, AA has made moves to prioritize PHL, CLT and ORD over JFK for international and domestic flights. AA’s JFK terminal 8 is a ghost town nowadays....

Jiburi
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tphuang
T-4 is almost a lock, IMO. By the time traffic reaches 2019 levels again, additional terminal capacity will be available elsewhere at JFK consistent with the current capital plan. We are not talking about a large station here, likely 6-12 flights spread throughout the day (depending on whether UA wants to get back into JFKLAX, not assured).
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:37 pm

I wish JFK had faster train connections to NYC (Manhattan). It's worse than LGA in terms of getting to mid-town or downtown. EWR, despite the Airtrain and the PATH, is faster in getting to/from Manhattan, either downtown or mid-town.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Ding, ding, ding

Hub retaliation. Should be a lucrative year for transcon fliers.

And it's not just B6, but B6/AA given the reemergence of that partnership
Yes! Plus El Al, South African, Air India, etc... should be abandoning slots -- which allows UA to enter inexpensively.

I can't wait to:
1. Hop on the 8am SFO-JFK
2. Grab the world's best falafel at Naomi's in Flushing
3. Watch a Mets game at Citi Field next door
4. Pit stop in Flushing China Town for dumplings, time permitting
5. Hop on the EWR-SFO redeye that night

Fun times ahead!!!
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Readily admitting I know very little about gate capacity, but wouldn't they aim to be in a terminal with or other *A carriers to maximize connections and/or share resources like lounges? Either T1 (Lufthansa/Eva/AirChina) or T4 (Swiss/Air India/Asiana/Avianca/Egypt)?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Does the JFK-LHR route really need five airlines? I suppose it could be operated by the LHR base but still....
well, realistically its about JV's (alliances) and the missing link right now is STAR. If LH/UA work on this route it will fill that gap.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by NewYork1K
That was not my experience. The security lines — including premium ones — could back up easily, and T7 didn't get PreCheck until years after UA left.
there was "full blown" T7 tsa pre in late 2014. yours truly was the first to report it to FT. here's the post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23855303-post583.html

DELee likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:48 am

LAX-LHR supported 5 carriers for many years. I would imagine JFK has enough demand for the same, especially with UA capturing Star Alliance flyers.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Readily admitting I know very little about gate capacity, but wouldn't they aim to be in a terminal with or other *A carriers to maximize connections and/or share resources like lounges? Either T1 (Lufthansa/Eva/AirChina) or T4 (Swiss/Air India/Asiana/Avianca/Egypt)?
There is no domestic baggage claim in T1's current setup
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by aircam
LAX-LHR supported 5 carriers for many years. I would imagine JFK has enough demand for the same, especially with UA capturing Star Alliance flyers.
Neither Long Island or London are hotbeads for *A flyers. OW (both ends) and SkyTeam (JFK) are much stronger. I'd venture to guess BOS is a stronger location than JFK for *A but there's no BOS-LHR flight by UA and can't imagine one is being contemplated.

The #1 route for UA out of JFK will be SFO and they'll get some business from LAX (will fight it out with B6 for #3 share). Everywhere else of importance domestically is within range of LGA.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Neither Long Island or London are hotbeads for *A flyers. OW (both ends) and SkyTeam (JFK) are much stronger.
True but LHR-NYC is the most lucrative premium air route in the World and it's one many *A passengers want to fly. UA was beginning to make headway in that market by flying relatively frequently using smaller equipment (the High J 767s) and, in an alternate universe, I could see them increasing frequency with A321LRs and serving both JFK and EWR.
aircam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.