Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by username
I am sure this is covered in other threads...how do pilots stay current with their certification if they:

1 - stay with UA but do not get to fly
2 - don't stay with UA and unemployed for a long time

It is just so hard to imagine people and companies reinventing themselves in such a difficult environment. Some do and come out stronger. So keep that hope!
We go back to the sim for recurrent training.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Disagree. UA's boat was drilled with holes to start 2020 by management deciding to shift their mileage accrual structure to enable "HVFs" and structured "discounts" for their contractual corporate accounts. Go back to the change announcements and a significant move from many folks who'd stuck with UA and/or CO, with a multiplicity that were their loyal FFs for decades.

Also, by implementing their refund delay/denial tactics as the pandemic unfolded and continuing even with the admonishment of DOT, they've engendered even more ill will.

And now, they can't even deliver on a schedule that would enable their HVFs and forcing folks to take multiple stops. The time sensitive HVFs will choose what works, not what UA forces them into.

They are sinking and they know it.

David
Respectfully disagree.

With skeleton schedules running, every airline is suffering. Mileage accrual has little to do with what's happening now.

And not just in the airlines industry, I work for non-travel related global company with offices in more than 20 countries, and yet we have had salary reductions for almost every employee due to declining revenue, as well as large numbers of staff reductions.

All of this goes beyond the MileagePlus program. These are tough time for most, including UA and its workforce.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Respectfully disagree.

With skeleton schedules running, every airline is suffering. Mileage accrual has little to do with what's happening now.

And not just in the airlines industry, I work for non-travel related global company with offices in more than 20 countries, and yet we have had salary reductions for almost every employee due to declining revenue, as well as large numbers of staff reductions.

All of this goes beyond the MileagePlus program. These are tough time for most, including UA and its workforce.
these are indeed tough times for all airlines, but when the mileage plus SVP sends us an email telling us UA would be refunding redeposit charges for cancelled award flights, and here we are almost eight weeks later and there is no refund, that doesn’t engender goodwill.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
these are indeed tough times for all airlines, but when the mileage plus SVP sends us an email telling us UA would be refunding redeposit charges for cancelled award flights, and here we are almost eight weeks later and there is no refund, that doesn’t engender goodwill.
Personally I have had miles from award tickets redeposited instantly, and taxes/fees back on my credit card within 2-3 days, including all UA reservations. If you are getting pigeon-holed on award itineraries, I would agree that is totally customer unfriendly.

That point I had made to the other poster - travel is basically non-existent at this point, so to pin UA's financial difficulty on its FF program is unfair. We can make a better evaluation on the other side of recovery.

At any rate, these separation/reduction news are never anything you want to hear. Best of luck to everyone!
Old May 6, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Isn't this thread about what is happening to employees, aren't there other threads for UA customer issues?
Old May 6, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
For my fleet (757/767) DEN, LAX, SFO will no longer be a base. The 75 most likely won't ever fly again, and only a subset of 767's will remain. Pretty much everything is a big question mark at the moment as to what comes this September/October (furlough or displacement) but I should be on the right side of seniority to have a somewhat soft landing. My heart goes out to my fellow crew-members who unfortunately wont.

It's amazing how quickly things can change... 120 days ago there was a pilot shortage, and we were spinning up a bunch of new hire classes. Now, 30% of our pilots will most likely be gone by end of year or sooner.... My fiance at AA is in the same boat, and also flies the 757/767, which is completely gone.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: United, Delta
United executives overdue to choose "voluntary separation"

In my opinion, wildly overpaid United executives are overdue to take a voluntary separation.
Their behavior is chronically ethically horrifying--including the latest maneuver to take a fortune from taxpayers and then try to stiff the employees despite conditions which forbade that until September.
If overprivileged execs don't want to quietly leave in shame at no cost (saving United and its shareholders a huge amount of cash), then there is an expression:
Lock 'em up.
UAL757222 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycmarcus
In my opinion, wildly overpaid United executives are overdue to take a voluntary separation.
You may have missed the senior folks are taking a 25-50% pay cut today and UA has announced a 30% reduction in the management ranks for October.
tuolumne and artvandalay like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by nycmarcus
despite conditions which forbade that until September.
Technically, no, but that's been discussed at length. Whether the conduct falls within the "spirit" of the Act is up for debate, but intention doesn't have the same legal effect as the express language.

Still, details don't really seem to matter when it comes to bashing United and its management for their handling of an unprecedented, completely exogenous situation.
tuolumne likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may have missed the senior folks are taking a 25-50% pay cut today and UA has announced a 30% reduction in the management ranks for October.
And just on sheer dollars this is window dressing. Even if you eliminate the top 100 paid folks at the company (all VPs and board) it’s still a horrible forecast.

But of course they should impact the leadership too.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:33 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by Redhead

Yes but 2008 probably took a massive bite of that savings and this sure as hell is too. 401ks were the worst thing to happen to employee benefits
Pensions are not very common these days and becoming increasingly less common. They were designed for lifetime employees, which is also increasingly less common. People today need to develop the discipline to save for retirement, 401K's are only one option for how to save. I know this is an unpopular reality but it's unlikely pensions are coming back and relying on only on social security or doing nothing isn't really a good plan.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Pensions are not very common these days and becoming increasingly less common. They were designed for lifetime employees, which is also increasingly less common. People today need to develop the discipline to save for retirement, 401K's are only one option for how to save. I know this is an unpopular reality but it's unlikely pensions are coming back and relying on only on social security or doing nothing isn't really a good plan.
I feel for the UA employees who lost their pensions in 2005. But it’s a very real possibility they would’ve lost them anyway had they not been dumped to the PBGC as UA was not going to get approval for their plan of reorganization from the BK judge.
artvandalay likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 757FO
We go back to the sim for recurrent training.
So, if a pilot lost his or her job with an airline, can't find a flying job for a long time and loses the certification, does it put the person at a disadvantage competing with others who are current?

If the airlines can have their pick when things pick up, they would put those who are current, right? Or, it does not matter since the pilots have to go through the training for the new airline anyway?
Old May 7, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm going to assume from another post there are incentives to voluntarily separate - which likely wont be available when they do a mass layoff in October.
The VSPs will have deal sweeteners when fully announced, and will be built off the back of what was available last month - all based on years of service on a sliding scale, including X months of continuing no-cost health coverage, X years of continuing non-revenue travel benefits at current boarding seniority for you and family, etc. In an involuntary situation in the fall, those won’t be extended or not be as generous - you’ll face expensive COBRA premiums for healthcare, and travel benefits will end except if within a few years of retirement.

What happens with FA base closures will be interesting. CLE and the new satellite bases are more certain candidates for closure. Logic would say all international bases (LHR/FRA/NRT/HKG) would go with reduced schedules, but there are economic reasons to keep them (cheaper US layovers), as well as tough severance labor laws (Germany/Japan) that make them harder to execute. I can’t see any FAs hired in the last few years post-merger making it through, regardless of base - and with them having lower comp levels than Senior FAs, the cut may be deeper to hit the number they are looking for, while increasing average flying hours for those that remain. My friends with 20 years of seniority are expecting to go back on Reserve, mostly Domestic.

Velocity of all this crazy/sad and understandably shocking to employees.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So we taxpayers gave United, and other carriers, billions in bailout money with the result being a massive cut in service and coverage and a plan to decimate the workforce the moment the no-layoff restriction is lifted at midnight Sept 30?

I think we've been taken for a ride on this deal - the bailout should have required an immediate layoff so people could collect unemployment with the $600 subsidy today through end of July and regular unemployment through end of the year, with a requirement for 75% or better payroll restoration no later than January 1, 2021, or the government would assume full equity ownership of the carrier until the loan was paid back. What idiot inked this dumb arrangement?

Unless we see a big bounce back in the economy within 30-45 days, which is unlikely, I am hopeful the morons in Washington will extent that $600 through end of the year. It can make a huge difference for people who are laid off in an industry where finding replacement work is not easy.
Come on here.

Not many companies can survive without any income for entire quarter. This is apple that makes close to 50% margin

Look at US airline industry- I know the left would like to claim billions of loan is a give away.

Look at the numbers
US airlines made $4.6B on operating revenue of $51.3B and operating expense of $44.9B.

How long can UA survive on $5B in payrol grant and loan and potentially another $4.5B loan. These ain’t free money.

This is barely enough to last 1.5 quarter (5 months) at current revenue rate. UA has already suffered or project to suffer 3.5 month by end of June.

Stop just looking at number as one number only without looking into whole picture.
tuolumne likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.