Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
And now, they can't even deliver on a schedule that would enable their HVFs and forcing folks to take multiple stops. The time sensitive HVFs will choose what works, not what UA forces them into.

They are sinking and they know it.

David
No HVFs are flying now...nor will fly for at least the next 30-60 days. If UA can put together a network that make sense when they do, it could work out for all. After all, AA and DL are in the same boat now and the pastures aren't more green elsewhere.
st3 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure this is covered in other threads...how do pilots stay current with their certification if they:

1 - stay with UA but do not get to fly
2 - don't stay with UA and unemployed for a long time

It is just so hard to imagine people and companies reinventing themselves in such a difficult environment. Some do and come out stronger. So keep that hope!
Old May 6, 2020, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by username
It is just so hard to imagine people and companies reinventing themselves in such a difficult environment. Some do and come out stronger. So keep that hope!
Bad companies are destroyed by crisis, Good companies survive them, Great companies are improved by them. -Andy Grove

Kirby is no Grove. They’re screwed.
narvik likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Bad companies are destroyed by crisis, Good companies survive them, Great companies are improved by them. -Andy Grove
Bad = SA, AI
Good = UA, Delta...
Great = Southwest, Ryan Air...
Old May 6, 2020, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disagree. UA's boat was drilled with holes to start 2020 by management deciding to shift their mileage accrual structure to enable "HVFs" and structured "discounts" for their contractual corporate accounts. Go back to the change announcements and a significant move from many folks who'd stuck with UA and/or CO, with a multiplicity that were their loyal FFs for decades.
Yeah, United is in the financial shape it is today because they made it harder for certain customers who are not as valuable to UA as they think they are to accrue miles in some situations.

And now, they can't even deliver on a schedule that would enable their HVFs and forcing folks to take multiple stops. The time sensitive HVFs will choose what works, not what UA forces them into.
As I posted just yesterday in response to a post on the DL forum complaining about just this, People are saying the same things on the other forums about the schedule cuts at those airlines. So it will apparently all balance out.
notquiteaff and st3 like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I am sure this is covered in other threads...how do pilots stay current with their certification if they:

1 - stay with UA but do not get to fly
2 - don't stay with UA and unemployed for a long time
They only have to stay current if they are currently flying.

If they are sidelined for a while, they can get current when they are getting ready to return by doing some takeoffs and landings in a simulator. It is not like they will have to start all over with their training if they lose currency.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by hockey7711
They can start with the excessive number of VP's.
agreed. while yes, its a massive company, but it still seems like a large amount of executives (not counting Oscar/Scott) with 6 EVP, 13 SVP and 37 VP.
UAL757222 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
In this environment, I think that's a highly suspect assertion. The overwhelming, vast majority of "HVF" from a few months ago are simply not flying. Those that are certainly aren't acting in a manner consistent with their established travel/buying patterns. It's still crisis mode, although the trend line appears to be coming off the floor.

Aside from that, the usual slate of gripes and complaints about United from the pre-COVID era are meaningless now. This is a brave new world.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:07 am

I can’t speak to corporate cuts, but I’m still holding out that the majority of the domestic frontline jobs will be saved. I can see things rebounding in the late Summer, fall, to the point where airlines can chart a more feasible path forward.

International travel will obviously take more time, so inflight & foreign ground crews might be in higher jeopardy.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CALMSP
agreed. while yes, its a massive company, but it still seems like a large amount of executives (not counting Oscar/Scott) with 6 EVP, 13 SVP and 37 VP.
That is actually much lower than some other global companies (in different industries) that I am familiar with that are of similar headcount size. How does it compare to other airlines?
Old May 6, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP
So will these 56 overpaid executives be whittled down by 30%? Anyone taking bets how many will be there after October 1?
Old May 6, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldtrav
So will these 56 overpaid executives be whittled down by 30%? Anyone taking bets how many will be there after October 1?
They're already taken involuntary pay cuts (25%-50%) with immediate effect, and yes, many of them will be out of work on October 1. That's been internally communicated. Glad to see we have cheerleaders for it.
narvik likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by worldtrav
If I recall correctly, they did take a substantial pay-cut, for what it's worth.

(EWR764 beat me to it! )
Old May 6, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Disagree. UA's boat was drilled with holes to start 2020 by management deciding to shift their mileage accrual structure to enable "HVFs" and structured "discounts" for their contractual corporate accounts. Go back to the change announcements and a significant move from many folks who'd stuck with UA and/or CO, with a multiplicity that were their loyal FFs for decades.
There is absolutely no evidence the new mileage accrual structure would or would not have worked since we never saw any financial results with it in force in a normal quarter. Prior to Q1 - UA was practically printing money and at this point we don't know what Q1 would have looked like with no Covid.

For all we know it could have worked great - or not. No doubt in my mind this was a major internal project at UA - with a lot of data crunching - this was a major decision probably with some careers on the line so I don't buy into a certainty it wouldn't have worked.
st3 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
Youre assuming companies are hiring. At 25% unemployment, I don’t think finding a new job is possible for significant numbers of UA employees.
No, I made no such assumption. I clear used the term "might" in my response.

Whether companies are hiring or not isn't really the point, however. The message sent to employees is that their jobs might not be there come October. As such, employees should probably start looking for other options. It doesn't hurt any employee to start looking. Should they be able to find another job, they can then make the decision as to whether to take it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.